Best area to grind experience

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
sapientCrow

Best area to grind experience

Post by sapientCrow »

Now that I have played through a fourth time and really wanted to focus and power level my last run through I tested out all the places to grind out exp and power level.
The best place by far is level 6.
There are 3 respawning skeletons at approx. 45 seconds each, 2 respawning snails at approx. the same 45 seconds. Then there is a respawning crab which I would say is around 5 to 6 minute respawn and the 3 fire elementals at 5 minute respawn.

3 laps of skeletons, with a snail run when entering and leaving and then to the fire elementals and then back to the snail and skeletons.
In total for a full run through elementals crab and skeletons and snails the exp is 3000. Much higher than any respawning area in the game including the ice lizards.
With the snail food drops it is a infinite exp loop if you have the patience.
Really the only viable way to have a capped 50 score on an ability before reaching the end game.
All of them are triggered by stepping on a specific tile.

By the time I was done with skeletons and a level of 15 the area was completely covered in shields...

Anyway I thought I would share this info for those of you who want to level some skills to 50 before really near the end battle.
I can map it up if any are interested.
Sagagemini

Re: Best area to grind experience

Post by Sagagemini »

I even thought about doing that but i just didn't have the patience. I naturally reached 14 by the last level (killing everything) and additional levels would take forever due to the small amount of exp respawned.

I would really love to have some mod to give 8-10 skillpoints per level. I would be able to max my weapon and another skill.
coffeeaddict

Post by coffeeaddict »

sapientCrow wrote: Anyway I thought I would share this info for those of you who want to level some skills to 50 before really near the end battle.
Please do! :D would be much appreciated !!
Drayde

Post by Drayde »

I've been doing this same thing, though I:

A: Wasn't sure they were on a timer, or if they were triggered by steps taken/enemies killed
B: Didn't know anything but the snails had a respawn tile

If you could show a map with this information, specifically the tiles, I'd appreciate it.

There is also something that can cause these monsters to double up. You quote there as being 3 fire elementals - I only count 2. The exception is when they double up, and I've seen this happen with everything but the crab. I've seen 4 snails in the snail room, 2 skeletons in the area they spawn near the snails, and 4 total fire elementals - one who had pathed to the beginning of that area, and 3 in the main section where they normally spawn.

I don't know if this is random, or if this doubling is triggered.

Another minor point : People have talked about leaving the snail door open, and returning to find level 6 swarming with snails. I'm not sure if their definition of 'swarming' is 'Every square tile is covered in snails!' or 'Omg, that's the third snail I've killed!'
muun

Post by muun »

Agree on level 6, but *yawn*.
Disasterrific

Post by Disasterrific »

I like your run, it's a good circle to head round.

However, "best area"... that place is pretty much the only place to grind.
Your only other options are respawning skeletons in menagerie (low xp), ice lizards on level 9 (slow to respawn, only two of them at a time), or the final room (good xp but you can't get out once it's started, too late in the game).

Especially when I was running around looking for secrets, I made it a point to kill the creatures on level 6 every time I could. Still, I only needed one character to hit 14 for the builds I had planned...
Porkdish

Post by Porkdish »

Drayde wrote:There is also something that can cause these monsters to double up. You quote there as being 3 fire elementals - I only count 2.
The third will spawn if you approach the key alcove along the right side. He should 'spawn' behind the pillar with the buttons on it, just like he did the first time you clear the room. He will only trigger though, when all 3 are 'refreshed', you cannot approach the key alcove again and again just to trigger him, he's tied to the other two, it seems.
Drayde wrote:The exception is when they double up, and I've seen this happen with everything but the crab.
I have had 3 crabs circling the pit in the hall of fire, I make sure to keep that grate closed now.
Drayde wrote: I don't know if this is random, or if this doubling is triggered.
Undead soldiers spawn indefinitely on level 4 in the menagerie, so long as one of the enclosed pressure tiles is unoccupied. They respawn on 6 because one is required to be alive, to complete a puzzle in the area (step on a pressure plate). The Uggardians are an integral part of that trap/button/pit timing puzzle in the hall of fire. I don't know why they spawn AFTER you've completed the puzzle.

1.1.4 seemed to reduce or change the spawn mechanics of the ice lizards. You really can practically clear the area out now, and only trigger occasional respawns. You used to be able to clear them back to their spawn point and just sit there, killing them one after another with little respite.
Bardamu

Post by Bardamu »

Thats the way i grind too. Anyone above level 16 yet?
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

You should be able to grind in the blue dinosaur area as they respawn while you are in the maze or sleeping outside the door. Someone pointed out that those guys respawn indefinitely if you are hanging around that area.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

sapientCrow wrote: Anyway I thought I would share this info for those of you who want to level some skills to 50 before really near the end battle.
That would be nice. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...