Level 6, Timed Secret, Sword of Nex

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
TomDeMy

Re: Level 6, Timed Secret, Sword of Nex

Post by TomDeMy »

thanks ...
PSY

Post by PSY »

Don't mention it ;)
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
RC Flyer

Post by RC Flyer »

would it be possible if I sent ya a save I could get you to do the same thing? I cant make it to the sword for some reason. Thx!
PSY

Post by PSY »

Sure. Sent you a PM with my email address :)
PSY

Post by PSY »

You've got mail!
Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

Could anyone do this puzzle for me too please if I send them my save?

I think I know what to do but cant do it quick enough even after lightening my characters load.

I have the key but want the sword of Nex now.

Thanks.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Are people doing these correctly?

1) You need to clear out the mobs beforehand.

2) You cannot be encumbered. If a snail appears on any of your portraits, or if the weight turns yellow, you will slow down, and cannot make it in time.

3) You cannot complete the secret in one go. First you need to complete the puzzle up to the key, and remove the torch. After that, you have to move back to the start of the puzzle, catch your breath, and run it again to get to the sword (this does not have to be right after).

4) Look at the room, and perhaps at your map as well. Check out beforehand exactly what route you need to take.

5) Strafe where possible. Do not turn, unless it is required to face the next button. Especially for the last button you need to twist between some pits. If you turn at every step there, you will fail.

6) Write down the exact order of buttons that you need to press on paper, and hold it up next to your monitor. The correct sequence should be:

CLICK A W W Q W W W CLICK A A W W E W W E CLICK A W E CLICK S A S A A A W W W E W W A W W E CLICK S

(W = Forward, S = Backward, A = Strafe Left, Q = Turn Left, E = Turn Right)

7) Press the next key about halfway your current move/turn. Do not wait until your party has completely moved towards the next tile before pressing the next button, as input lag both from the human source and the interface might screw it up.

8) Hold your mouse in the position of the button, and then don't move it. When you're at the next button, all you have to do is click the mouse button, not look for the button on the screen.

After all that, just put in the sequence that you wrote down, and press those buttons one after another, and it shouldn't be too hard to do this secret.
PSY

Post by PSY »

Grim Reaper wrote:Could anyone do this puzzle for me too please if I send them my save?

I think I know what to do but cant do it quick enough even after lightening my characters load.

I have the key but want the sword of Nex now.

Thanks.
Gotta go to work now.
If you haven't managed to do the puzzle by this evening, feel free to send me your savegame!
I'll PM my email address to you!

PSY
montezooma99

Post by montezooma99 »

I really need help getting the sword! I have written down the sequence & tried a thousand times... can someone please do it for me?
Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

Maybe some one will if they see this old thread :) I dont have the game installed anymore. Back when the game was new I had to get someone to do it for me too and sent my save game to him who then sent it back with this puzzle completed.

Recently over the winter I replayed the game and managed it myself this time, even though I have an Uber PC I dropped the resolution to minimum and graphics to lowest just for this puzzle and kept my mouse pointer on the button position through the moves, after about a dozen trys I finally did it myself.

Dont forget to lighten your party too, drop some inventory close by to pick up once puzzle is completed.

There is also some sort of script you can download that can do it for you, try a google search or search on here.

Hope you can get past this puzzle and complete the game.

Fun game and I'm really looking forward to Grimrock 2