Air or Fire?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
obsidian_razor

Air or Fire?

Post by obsidian_razor »

I've raised my mage in earth magic to 13 so I have the all useful poison shield, but beyond that earth is not really worth it...

Now I want to raise a second school of magic to be it's main attack one... and I'm doubting between Air and Fire. Air seems to be the most useful, and there are no enemies with resistance to it... but fire has all the nice equipment and allows you to protect the party from those nasty Uugardians...

What do you guys think?
Bardamu

Re: Air or Fire?

Post by Bardamu »

SpoilerShow
Ice until 13 (freeze enemies), then air (highest damage).
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Air without a doubt. Fire should be a first choice if you're going for it. Shame you missed Ice, but oh well.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
muun

Post by muun »

obsidian_razor wrote:I've raised my mage in earth magic to 13 so I have the all useful poison shield, but beyond that earth is not really worth it...

Now I want to raise a second school of magic to be it's main attack one... and I'm doubting between Air and Fire. Air seems to be the most useful, and there are no enemies with resistance to it... but fire has all the nice equipment and allows you to protect the party from those nasty Uugardians...

What do you guys think?
I'm doing earth/fire at the moment. I currently have 13 in earth but plan on raising to 17 once fire is up to 33. And 10 in spellcraft, which I don't plan on raising. At this point (dungeon level 5), I'm not liking this build as well as any single school, but maybe that will change as I get higher in fire and deeper in the dungeon. If you have good tanks (high evasion), I'd advise just continuing with earth magic. Otherwise, I'd agree with air. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2278
zalewapl

Post by zalewapl »

Fire magic gets very powerful and you have artifact that augments it. My fire mage was capable of weaking enemies severely before the warriors finished them off. The drawback is that you will be
SpoilerShow
meeting Uggardians throughout a large part of the second half of the game, and they are totally immune.
obsidian_razor

Post by obsidian_razor »

Is the threat of the Uggardians enough to get fire magic for the fire shield? Even if your mage is doing 0 damage against them?
Bardamu

Post by Bardamu »

obsidian_razor wrote:Is the threat of the Uggardians enough to get fire magic for the fire shield? Even if your mage is doing 0 damage against them?
You dont need the shield. if you avoid being hitten. This is possible (using doors, dodging etc.).
obsidian_razor

Post by obsidian_razor »

I personally hate having to do "the dance" though I understand how powerful it is... :)

Will keep that in mind, will probably go fire because of this...
muun

Post by muun »

obsidian_razor wrote:Is the threat of the Uggardians enough to get fire magic for the fire shield? Even if your mage is doing 0 damage against them?
No. You do not need fire shield. However, if you have a mage that doesn't know fire shield and also does 0 damage, then something is wrong. EDIT: Uhh, my bad. Misread what you entered. No, the threat is not that bad. You'll be wishing for shock shield on level 8 anyway. But you don't need any shield ever .. just be careful.
Last edited by muun on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muun

Post by muun »

Bardamu wrote:
You dont need the shield. if you avoid being hitten. This is possible (using doors, dodging etc.).
Personally, I just beat the crap out of them. Saves all that running. They are not tough, though best to draw them one at a time.