Sword of nex. Frustration fest...

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Weetu

Re: Sword of nex. Frustration fest...

Post by Weetu »

Like Blublu said above, computer speed or keyboard quality should not be an issue. You can "queue up" your actions, so that while your party is still moving you already press the next movement key. I'm playing on a relatively under-powered laptop and I haven't had any speed puzzle issues once I discovered this. The puzzles only require about one keystroke per half a second or so.

Edit. And I do hope you're using Q and E to turn - not tne mouselook feature? It drives me mad when I watch some Let's Play videos on Youtube where people are using the mouselook to turn.
Robin_WH

Post by Robin_WH »

hannamarin wrote:Is there any way of getting the 'Sword of Nex' without doing that stupid speed crap. The trap opens before I can get to the button each and every time. My keyboard simply cannot keep up with the keys being struck.

There should always be an alternative way of getting items.

It is supposed to be a fun not irritating and annoying.
My words exactly. I always fall in the second trap. It so irritating and frustrating. And without nex sword I can´t get to fighters challenge at all. At least thats what I read.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

There's many tips for this here,

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2055

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Marak

Post by Marak »

Weebu has the right idea, though. You have to get into a rhythm and tap the next movement key while your party is still performing their current "movement command". There should be a steady 'tap-tap-tap' going on (unless you're turning, as that's near-instant).

It's a matter of mastering the 2 different timing to queue up your moves: the Walking timing and the Turning timing. I saved before the initial button and probably spent 20-30 very frustrating minutes failing this until I got into my own rhythm.

Good luck.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Also, do not turn more often than is required to face the buttons. Learn the route you need to walk, and don't be afraid to walk backwards or strafe to the side. You don't have time to make unnecessary turns.
Brodie301

Post by Brodie301 »

Hold your mouse pointer in the same exact location as the first button it will help trust me.
Also, try the button press as soon as you enter the square don't wait to come to a complete stop.
The FORCE is with me!!!
Hatti

Post by Hatti »

after about 30 failed attempts, i managed to solve this "puzzle" by reducing my game graphics settings and resolution. got it on the 1st try after that.