Timed Puzzle Help

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
isamu

Re: Timed Puzzle Help

Post by isamu »

Darklord wrote:Hey Guys,

Timed puzzles are something that many of us struggle with, but there are several things that can you help you get past them, below is a list of the most common.

1, Reduce your graphics settings, especially for those with less powerful systems this helps a lot, if you still struggle remove nearby light sources to.

2, Movement tips, Try and move slightly in advance, for example move at the same time you press a switch or move as a projectile is hitting you but before it disappears. Try to avoid turning your party if you don't need to, turning takes time so sometimes it's quicker to strafe or move backwards. Press the movement keys multiple times instead of holding down the key, as this is faster and more precise. Learn and count your moves.

3, Mouse position, When you need to press a button or several in a row, try to get your mouse in the correct position on the screen beforehand, then do not move your mouse! This will save a critical seconds, that can easily make the difference.

4, Ensure you aren't encumbered! Being encumbered will slow you down, (shown by a snail) if in doubt throw some heavy stuff you were carrying on the floor/take your armour off.

5, Adjust the game speed, If all those options fail you can adjust the game speed, Note this is not recommended by the Team, but it is something you could try, and many people have been able to complete the puzzles after doing this.

This can be done in game using the console, for console help see,

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1982

The command you need is,

gameMode.timeMultiplier = 0.7

Or using these external programs

Cheat Engine (use at own risk!)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1688&hilit=speed&start=40#p18696

Fan made timer patch,(adjusting speed may cause other issues so only do this is you feel you must)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1688&hilit=speed&start=40#p18684

6, Videos, here are some fan made videos for the times puzzles in the game.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1572&p=15574#p15574

Also note that some of the hardest timed puzzles (Level 7 iron door for example) are not required for continuing the game, so you could always leave it and possibly come back later.

If anyone else has any ideas that may help others please post them here and I will update this post.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS THREAD FOR COMPLAINTS, it is merely here as a resource to help others.

Thank you and good luck! :)

Daniel.
Thanks for the tips DarkLord :)
teviko

Post by teviko »

Before any timed puzzle, save your game and always reload from that point. It usually doesn't go without saying, but in level 6, you will have a timed puzzle for both the advancement of the dungeon and the 'secret'.

However, one thing I did was practice. Practicing, and, as someone said, counting out your moves makes you proficient enough to pull off timed puzzles.

Strafing is a must many times, sometimes getting used to walking backwards, or sideways, not beng able to see where you are going. (level 5 floor puzzle) is a must, so it helps to also make a note or a map of the path you need to take before you do it. I litterally have the floor 5 puzzle map memorized because I just can't afford to watch it as I go, so I memorize it and actually have to slow myself down to do it.

Also, sometimes, you have to press buttons as you go, so facing in the direction you need to be looking at as you go will help. But in the case for level 6, you need to turn to face the direction of teh switches. This can be very difficult.

tl:dr

1) save in advance
2) plan your route.
3) try a few practice runs
4) strafe or walk backwards
5) speed pots [edited. Apparently I was confused on their purpose]
Last edited by teviko on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Hey teviko,

All good tips, tell us more about the speed potions, do you have the recipe, and do they actually make you move faster?

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
teviko

Post by teviko »

Darklord wrote:Hey teviko,

All good tips, tell us more about the speed potions, do you have the recipe, and do they actually make you move faster?

Daniel.
Apparently no. I edited my post to reflect my error.

However, the recipe is obtained in a secrt area of the game.

Recipe is:
SpoilerShow
1 flask, 1 milkreed, 1 blooddrop blossom.
I drank it today and it said cooldowns were halved. But I always noticed a true 'speed' boost, so it might be edited, or the tool tip is wrong, or it's right and the speed boost was all my imagination.
FreeBooteR69

Post by FreeBooteR69 »

Not sure why but standing next to the pits seemed to help me complete this with relative ease. Trying to complete this by standing against the wall seemed to be an exercise in futility.
Archlinux FTW!
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

FreeBooteR69 wrote:Not sure why but standing next to the pits seemed to help me complete this with relative ease. Trying to complete this by standing against the wall seemed to be an exercise in futility.
That's interesting, I assumed that would make it harder!

Daniel.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Darklord wrote:
FreeBooteR69 wrote:Not sure why but standing next to the pits seemed to help me complete this with relative ease. Trying to complete this by standing against the wall seemed to be an exercise in futility.
That's interesting, I assumed that would make it harder!

Daniel.
Why would it make it harder? Sure, you have to catch the snowball earlier, but you also catched the previous snowball earlier.

It might even be easier on older computers or computers with onboard video cards, since the snowballs disappear faster.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Thels wrote:Why would it make it harder? Sure, you have to catch the snowball earlier, but you also catched the previous snowball earlier.

It might even be easier on older computers or computers with onboard video cards, since the snowballs disappear faster.
Well the closer you are, the less time you have to react to the ball. That's what I figured anyhow.

Daniel.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Darklord wrote:
Thels wrote:Why would it make it harder? Sure, you have to catch the snowball earlier, but you also catched the previous snowball earlier.

Well the closer you are, the less time you have to react to the ball. That's what I figured anyhow.

Daniel.
Theoretically, you are right. However, the ball is already out when you're still reacting to the previous ball, so while standing near the wall will allow you to look further ahead, this might just be confusing to some. While you stand closer, you still have enough time to look forward.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Thels wrote:Theoretically, you are right. However, the ball is already out when you're still reacting to the previous ball, so while standing near the wall will allow you to look further ahead, this might just be confusing to some. While you stand closer, you still have enough time to look forward.
I wonder if I would have found it easier, closer then, I will try it and see on my next playthrough. :)

Daniel.