Fighter's Challenge Strategies!! Level 6 to 5 secret

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Hissssa

Re: Fighter's Challenge Strategies!! Level 6 to 5 secret

Post by Hissssa »

Am I the only one who made speed potions before I went in along with healing potions?

The fighter challenge was actually one of the hardest fights in the game since I had two mages. They got one or two casts and then went down. I didn't know about the button so I fought them all in the middle for a while until I could get to a corner.

If you built your characters well the room is easy even with just 2 party members (and of course potions).

If I had been playing on normal mode I would have been bored to tears!
tantalan

Post by tantalan »

Guys where do you get the sword of nex? I went through the whole level but didnt find it. Thankx
PSY

Post by PSY »

You can find the Sword of Nex
SpoilerShow
on level 6 in the Halls of Fire (southwest area)
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Miles-McStyles

Post by Miles-McStyles »

Like most people said, you have to get to a corner. From the start you need to completely bowl over the first 4-5 enemies instantly. You won't even be able to see your backrowers' health bar cause them taking damage puts a number over the bar, so you have to wing using potions for them.

Once in a corner, use frost bombs to keep one of your directions "crowd controlled" then pick off the scavengers one at a time from the only angle remaining. The priority for your mage's spells should be for the packs of 2.

I'll make a movie of this strategy on hard. Been wanting to make another movie of grimrock.
rajah sulayman

Post by rajah sulayman »

Figured out an easy (cheap?) strategy just now:

When the door opens, don't step onto the plate. Instead, throw something at it. That'll start the teleporter field.

Then, just fire every arrow you have into there. Pause a little between volleys, to give the guys time to move around. Once you're out of arrows, lob Fire and Gas grenades. Not all, just a few. Again, time your volleys.

When you're ready, equip your back row with the Lightning and Frost grenades, then step into the teleporter. When you come around, half of the mobs should be dead. From there just use the other general tactics to mop up the rest.

Easy peasy. :)
PSY

Post by PSY »

rajah sulayman wrote:Figured out an easy (cheap?) strategy just now:

When the door opens, don't step onto the plate. Instead, throw something at it. That'll start the teleporter field.

Then, just fire every arrow you have into there. Pause a little between volleys, to give the guys time to move around. Once you're out of arrows, lob Fire and Gas grenades. Not all, just a few. Again, time your volleys.

When you're ready, equip your back row with the Lightning and Frost grenades, then step into the teleporter. When you come around, half of the mobs should be dead. From there just use the other general tactics to mop up the rest.

Easy peasy. :)
Old news ;) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1347&start=20 Click on my spoiler

PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
muun

Post by muun »

bossonova wrote:So what is everyone's strategy for beating the fighters challenge? It really is a tough one.
My own strategy always costs me my two back row guys .. don't know if that's unavoidable or not. I just hit the deck running, killing straight ahead till I hit the wall, then do a 180 and kill untill i have to turn and kill and turn and kill. No way that's optimal, but it always results in my two front row guys living, my two back row guys not. Regardless of the boohoo, I win.

EDIT; should expand on that I guess. Two health potions per front row guy. Sometimes front row guys both unarmed (and unarmored) , sometimes a light and a heavy. Doesn't seem to matter.
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

I always use the ogre gold key method since I play on hard mode every time and without being in that room its a loss.
I think the last boss and this fighters challenge is kind of a random luck deal.
rajah sulayman

Post by rajah sulayman »

PSY wrote:Old news ;) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1347&start=20 Click on my spoiler

PSY
Hahaha. I figured someone might've mentioned it, but I must've missed it when breezing through the thread.
muun

Post by muun »

sapientCrow wrote:I always use the ogre gold key method since I play on hard mode every time and without being in that room its a loss.
I think the last boss and this fighters challenge is kind of a random luck deal.
I read on another thread about taking a left turn on entry, getting to the wall and activating the "hidden" switch, which opens a room just to your right. I did that once, but result was the same. The two back row guys were dead long before reaching the room. The two front row guys survived, as always.