Ultimate party make up?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Brilling

Ultimate party make up?

Post by Brilling »

I am not finding any topics on this. Has there been any discussion about the 'best' party make up? Would it look something like:
Front - Human Sword Skills
Front - Rogue unarmed and evade specced
Rear - Mino rogue with missile skills
Rear - Mage with ice skills

Anyone have any thoughts and additional info to add?
Hachi

Re: Ultimate party make up?

Post by Hachi »

I'm going to try something silly:

Human Rogue - Missile Skills (Skilled / Aggressive)
Human Rogue - Missile Skills (Skilled / Aggressive)
Insectoid Mage - Ice Magic (Skilled / Aura)
Insectoid Mage - Air Magic (Skilled / Aura)

I don't know if it will work. But I was playing through with my initial party and I noticed that I really really hate melee mechanics (though it might be in part because I didn't invest in weapon skills). I noticed that 90% of my damage was coming from spells, and since thrown weapons can't "Miss" why not just go with 2 rogues 2 mages, and blow things up before they reach you. I also noticed that having 2 fighter "tanks" was dumb, because I still couldn't go toe-to-toe with anything other than a snail, so either way I'm relegated to strafing or kiting, so why invest in all those points to improve defenses? (I also made some other errors with my characters I'm remedying).

I'm still kind of debating on whether or not to use Poison or Fire magic instead of Ice or Air. But Ice / Air gives me a lot of "outs" in terms of invisibility, and freezing the enemy. Also not sure whether I should just focus on STR in the front, or if I should go Dex / Vit for some risk management. "just in case" enemies get too close.

The general strategy will be to enchant the missiles, and rain hate from a couple squares away - Bow Bow Lightning Bolt Ice Bolt.

Going to restart tonight when I get home. Any thoughts on the party would be welcome.
Xai

Post by Xai »

I'm atm fine with 2 warri + 1 rogue+ 1 Air Mage, but think about 1 warri 1 rogue 1 Air Mage 1 Ice Mage for next run.

Air for High Damage and as i read here nothing is really resistent vs Ligtning and Ice for freezing Enemies.
But not sure if a Rogue do really sence in first line, cause he will need to skill both, dagger and range (missile) weapons.
The Doppelgamer

Post by The Doppelgamer »

This was my party build on hard mode, it's the best party build that I've discovered so far and I very rarely ever died on any character.

Front Row:
Minotaur - Fighter - 50 Unarmed Combat
(Uses full heavy armor, makes a decent tank. Unarmed combat does massive damage)

Lizardman - Rogue - 50 Dodge
(Uses full Lurker set & scaled cloak, he’s an evasion god, dodges about 95% of the time on the harder monsters. I soloed the Fighter's Challenge with him :lol:)

Back Row:
Lizardman - Rogue - 50 Assassination, rest in Dagger
(Uses Assassin’s Dagger and any gear that gives strength. I used the EXP pendant and all skill books on him. If he gets a backstab off it almost always single shots any monster, even Ogres and Goromorgs)

Insectoid - Mage - 50 Ice Magic, rest in Spell Craft
(Uses Frostbolt often, so my assassin can backstab the monster which usually single shots them)
Last edited by The Doppelgamer on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my LoG2 Atlas Compendium (All Secrets, Treasures, Items, Equipment, Zones/Maps, & More!)
Also check out my LoG2 Icon
Empyrean

Post by Empyrean »

Mystina Valeth wrote:Rouge
I hate you. ROGUE.
Brilling wrote:I am not finding any topics on this. Has there been any discussion about the 'best' party make up? Would it look something like:
Front - Human Sword Skills
Front - Rogue unarmed and evade specced
Rear - Mino rogue with missile skills
Rear - Mage with ice skills

Anyone have any thoughts and additional info to add?
The party I cleared the game with was really close to this. It worked just fine. Only difference was that I didn't point any points into Dodge for the Rogue on the front line. Investing only in Unarmed Combat will actually make you harder to kill than splitting your points, due to Unarmed Combat giving some incredible bonuses later on. The earlier stat boosts are good, but at rank 30 you get +20 Evasion and at rank 42 you get +5 Strength and +5 Dex, which means another 10 evasion plus a bunch of Fire/Shock resistance. Oh, and you get enough Dex bonuses before that to get another 10 Evasion and corresponding Fire/Shock resistance.
kisiel365

Post by kisiel365 »

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1309
The Doppelgamer

Empyrean wrote:
Mystina Valeth wrote:Rouge
I hate you. ROGUE.
ROUGE!
Check out my LoG2 Atlas Compendium (All Secrets, Treasures, Items, Equipment, Zones/Maps, & More!)
Empyrean

Post by Empyrean »

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rouge?s=t

While the dictionary lists it as a type of makeup, It's actually a code word that means "I play role-playing games but still can't spell a five letter word correctly despite it showing up all the time because I'm an idiot."

This is what you're looking for. The not-stupid way: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rogue?s=t
The Doppelgamer

Empyrean wrote:You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rouge?s=t

While the dictionary lists it as a type of makeup, It's actually a code word that means "I play role-playing games but still can't spell a five letter word correctly despite it showing up all the time because I'm an idiot."

This is what you're looking for. The not-stupid way: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rogue?s=t
huh? I'm talking about Canadian football, my lizardman are rouge players... what are you talking about? O.o
Stashkin

Post by Stashkin »

Empyrean has just epic failed.

My team is very similar to Brilling's, apart from front Rogue, which is dagger+dodge. It works ;)
Unfortunately, when I found the first skull I noticed my Mino is not a headhunter (or whatever this skill was called)... no idea WHY I chose aggresive treat... :/