Ultimate party make up?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
crazyKZ

Re: Ultimate party make up?

Post by crazyKZ »

After a couple runs, this is the best group I've come up with:

Human Fighter, 13 Str/13 Dex/14 Vit - Skilled/Fist Fighter - Armor 8, rest in Unarmed
Human Fighter, 12 Str/14 Dex/14 Vit - Skilled/Aggressive - Armor 25, rest in Swords
Minotaur Rogue, 21 Str/18 Vit - Headhunter/Aggressive - Max Missile Weapons
Insectoid Mage, 14 Vit/18 Will - Skilled/Strong Mind - Spellcraft 10, rest in Air Magic
*all stats given before Trait/Skill bonuses
JarL

Post by JarL »

I can tell you this much. Any "best" group would have zero skill spent in defensive stats like armor, dodge, etc... And any unarmed specialized character should be a minotaur fighter (35 melee stats compared to 30 of the human) due to unarmed getting huge dex boosts with any extra skills spent on 2 in athletics and 4 in sword/axe for the bonus +3 strength. Lastly, taking skilled as a trait is a waste unless you are doing some sort of low level speed run and need the extra skills to get a specific skill.
muun

Post by muun »

4 rogues .. see King Tulla's thread on that (below). I've played through twice with 4 rogues and twice with a "standard" party of sword, axe, shooter, mage. They're both fun, but the rogue party has all the awesomeness.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1309
Chiller

Post by Chiller »

Fighter swords, rogue unarmed, rogue missile, rogue missile was the best and fastest party I've tried so far.
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Well, the "most effective" party I played so far is certainly the 4 rogue one.

Though it's sad to throw all this heavy armour into the next garbage bin ...
pask

Post by pask »

Mystina, re your ultimate party:
What weapon/s did you use for your front row rogue?
I blended some of your suggestions with some other tips for
a much better party than the default set, thanks.

Pask
muun

Post by muun »

Eobersig wrote:Well, the "most effective" party I played so far is certainly the 4 rogue one.

Though it's sad to throw all this heavy armour into the next garbage bin ...
Yeah, I still like light armor, heavy armor, lurker (missile), and mage group. Takes a bit more effort thant the 4 rogue, but has the reward of actually using most of the stuff you find. Then again, I like the 4 rogues .. different rewards.

In response to the question about what weapons for the FRRs, dagger and unarmed, two unarmed, sword and unarmed (trying that now) . If you sense a pattern there, kudos ... UNARMED rocks. Back row does most of the damage, though your front row will do considerable as they level up.
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

muun wrote:... Yeah, I still like light armor, heavy armor, lurker (missile), and mage group. Takes a bit more effort thant the 4 rogue, but has the reward of actually using most of the stuff you find. Then again, I like the 4 rogues .. different rewards. ...
Indeed, I currently have two teams running through the dungeon: a 4-rogue party (dagger, unarmed, missiles, throwing weapon) and a "rogueless" party (fighter sword, fighter mace, ice/earth mage, air/fire mage), and it makes for a very different experience.

The rogue party just cuts through anything but finding new gear at a secret place is kinda stale ("Just another sword or some heavy armour, shiny stuff, aye, useless, throw it onto the garbage pile") while the fighter/mage combo is much slower progressing but when you find something there's a better chance you can actually use it (Okay, that party throws all range weapons onto the garbage pile).

The other difference is that the 4-rogue party levels more or less equally fast while in the fighter/mage party the mages level at a much faster pace than the fighters. Funnily the 2 mages level at the same pace although they're using completely different spells.