Some puzzles are **** like The Pillared Hallway !

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
naim

Re: Some puzzles are **** like The Pillared Hallway !

Post by naim »

Xombium wrote:Wow. That's immensely stupid.
You're not slithering at all. You're moving forward. The note is actually very misleading. It should read 2 times foreward, right once, foreward once, left once, foreward this many times.

I have that note and I was expecting it to be some kind of pattern of some kind of snake creature later on, not a fucking instruction manual for walking down a hall.
yeah, how stupid, they made riddles on different floors instead of an elevator.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Where am I supposed to find this note?
Montis

Post by Montis »

I think it's in the Holy Scriptures "secret" room.
When destiny calls, the chosen have no choice.

My completed dungeon (LoG1): Hypercube
skurg

Post by skurg »

I stuck on level 6 Mage's Entrance, and the pits closed by switches irritated me so much that I just dropped this game, because this was not funny any more. This is stupid, characters are movoing and rotating too slow to get there fast enought.
Tenzek

Post by Tenzek »

Xombium wrote:Wow. That's immensely stupid.
You're not slithering at all. You're moving forward. The note is actually very misleading. It should read 2 times foreward, right once, foreward once, left once, foreward this many times.

I have that note and I was expecting it to be some kind of pattern of some kind of snake creature later on, not a fucking instruction manual for walking down a hall.
Hmm. You know, you're right. You aren't actually slithering at all.

You: 1
Devs: 0

You showed them.
Schnittertm

Post by Schnittertm »

skurg wrote:I stuck on level 6 Mage's Entrance, and the pits closed by switches irritated me so much that I just dropped this game, because this was not funny any more. This is stupid, characters are movoing and rotating too slow to get there fast enought.
Then don't rotate, but sidestep. The sequence of the pitfalls opening and closing is always the same (at least if it is the room I think you are talking about), so look at it for a few times, then hit the switch, get yourself into position for the first pitfall to close and then follow the sequence with sidesteps through when you have to move left or right. Turning is not required only a good spatial perception. I got that on the third try.
sojhin98

Post by sojhin98 »

yeah, how stupid, they made riddles on different floors instead of an elevator.
While he was a bit brash, i believe this is really condecinding, ive beaten the game now, and this is the only riddle i have a problem with, not because its hard, but because it is worded badly.

i spent about in hour orenting myself in different directions and moving left and right because thats what it says

if it maybe detailed the movement between sides, i could have done it on my own. The problem here is it LITERRALY says go left, go right, it could have been worded MUCH better,like it tells you left right left right but doesnt document the times you ACTUALLY move left and right facing the dirrection you are supposed too, its mind boggling to say the least.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

It's not remotely mind boggling. The hallway very obviously has a left side and a right side, as it's two tiles wide. Left and Right means the left half of the corridor or the right half. You're taking the note too literally in the context of the games movement controls.
sojhin98

Post by sojhin98 »

As i said, i had 0 problem with anything else in this game, but when a "riddle" is literaly a roadmap of instructions, id expect it to include all steps. If the wording at any point mentioned something about moving from one side to the other, i could have reasoned it on my own.

Even when i didnt get something on my own, i can look at it later and go ohhh ok, with this, knowing how to do it, it still dosent make sense to me, but meh, whatever.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

"two times left She slithers, once right, once left, three times right and twice more is left. This She repeats twice."

You took left and right to literally mean turn or move left/right, but it's not a literal roadmap as you put it. The wording describes the path of a snake, and is speaking of how a snake might traverse the two sides of the hallway by winding it's body around the pillars. The note doesn't ever say "turn left" or "move left".