Some puzzles are **** like The Pillared Hallway !

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
sojhin98

Re: Some puzzles are **** like The Pillared Hallway !

Post by sojhin98 »

maybe i missed some artwork on the walls somewhere? only thing ive seen slithering are snails in the game. If i knew they were refencing a snake, again maybe i could have figured it out, hardly matters now, i beat it, i still think it could have been wordered much better to either indicate that it is indeed for that area(after about an hour i was convinced the silthering was for an area later or secret area i missed), have a better area name "hall of eden" or something like that , or maybe have that area sectioned off(like with a gate) i believe you have moved "on the left side" about 4 times already before you even enter the hallway.

again, meh whatever great game overall had a great time
SecretSantana

Post by SecretSantana »

This was one of my favorite puzzles in the game. I can certainly see how some can have issues with solving it (starting from the wrong place), but I did not.
I also loved how you got the hint-scroll immediately before a completely different puzzle.
Merimarsu

Post by Merimarsu »

My only issue with this puzzle was that I used the scroll as a weight in the Checkered Room :oops:
mechatech

Post by mechatech »

I really hated this puzzle not because of the scroll, I found that, not because of the scroll wording, I did the movements as intended, but because of the starting point. The puzzle send you back to the beginning when you move incorrectly, that position was what I thought the starting position should have been at. Instead the starting position is 1 square back from this, next to the sign. Why couldn't it send you back to that position then?
Empyrean

Post by Empyrean »

The OP is butt-hurt because he wasn't smart enough to solve the Pillared Hallway. That's not the developers' fault.

Maybe you should have reconsidered your interpretation for the instructions for moving through a hallway when your interpretation involved nothing but spinning in circles? The hint was fine as-written; I didn't have any problem with it. Even the starting position wasn't too hard; I walked down the hall backward until it teleported me back to the start just to make sure I had the starting position correct.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I was stuck here as well because I didn't find the clue. I eventually gave up and Googled for the solution. It mentioned tearing down tapestries, which confounded me as I had clicked the living Hell out of the tapestries already, thinking maybe you had to click in a specific spot to tear them off or poke at something. Then it struck me that maybe attacking them would do the trick, and it did. Then I found the clue.
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

Actually I've found The Pillared Hallway puzzle very easy and that was Checkered Room that I had to googled for answer ;-)

Anyway, those pillars create pairs of arcs along the hall so I've read the note as:
SpoilerShow
Two times (through) left (arc) She slithers,
Once (through) right (arc),
Once (through) left (arc),
Three times (through) right (arc) and
twice more (through) left (arc).
This She repeats twice.
krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok »

Figuring out where to start should be obvious. If you note the position of the invisible teleport down the hallway, then you count back the number of steps you're expected to take according to the scroll, and it is obvious which the intended starting point should be. Assuming it's not already obvious that left/right can only refer to the start of the 2-block wide hallway. I thought Grimrock's puzzles were pitched at a nice difficulty level, similar to Dungeon Master in that they often made you stop to think, but the solution was always logical with a bit of thought. I didn't think there were any really difficult puzzles actually, nothing to bring progress to a grinding halt. And anyway, these days there are always walkthrough, let's plays and FAQs available at your fingertips. It's inevitable that some people's response to puzzles that aren't immediately obvious will be to rage quit, uninstall the game, and then come to the official forums to vent. C'est la vie.
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Filipsan wrote:
SpoilerShow
Two times left She slithers,
Once right,
Once left,
Three times right and
twice more is left.
This She repeats twice.
SpoilerShow
FF
R-F
L-F
R-FFF
L-FF
and again:
FF
R-F
L-F
R-FFF
L-FF
Thanks for the scroll text. Needed it for a story and wasn't gonna play the whole thing till I got there. :)
tetane

Post by tetane »

The clue is completely misleading : why "She" ??? Does it refer to some female snake ??
How about "slithering" ??
And most of all, how does She "repeat it twice" ??? You don't. Never.
You repeat it once when you come back, we can imagine. :evil:

Many words just lead you to the wrong way.

But this game is great, and I have fun with it (if I forget this damned Pillared Hallway :evil: ) :lol: