whats with The Dismantler

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Pumpelche

Re: whats with The Dismantler

Post by Pumpelche »

I hit with 270 dmg yesterday with the Dismantler, carried by a Minotaur Warrior with Headhunter & four Skulls, Sword Skill on 21. It's nice... Combine it with something that fastens up your cooldown and it becomes amazing.
rossman86

Post by rossman86 »

I gotta side with the op on this one. The base damage of the dimantler was only a couple of points higher than the sword of nex and can pretty much be disregarded. So basically you're losing speed and a great accuracy bonus in exchange for the chance to proc a lightning shock maybe 25% of the time if even. For a legendary and closely guarded weapon it really wasn't impressive. If I had a sword fighter in again in another playthrough I think I'd actually keep the sword of nex.
ZephyrSB

Post by ZephyrSB »

Maybe its helpful for...uh...dismantling something. I dunno, I didn't roll a swordie, but am going to next time to try it out.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

It looks like a nice weapon to me, my Minotaur uses Axes though and has the lovely Ancient Axe, he does far more damage in one swipe than my mage does, they are both awesome though, as is my throwing weapon character. The only character I'm not happy with is my dodgy rogue, who I should have specced differently.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Drax

Post by Drax »

rossman86 wrote:I gotta side with the op on this one. The base damage of the dimantler was only a couple of points higher than the sword of nex and can pretty much be disregarded. So basically you're losing speed and a great accuracy bonus in exchange for the chance to proc a lightning shock maybe 25% of the time if even. For a legendary and closely guarded weapon it really wasn't impressive. If I had a sword fighter in again in another playthrough I think I'd actually keep the sword of nex.
After some testing, I kept the Sword of Nex
pruchel

Post by pruchel »

Thought it was kinda obvious that it's the dismantler because it's the thing to use when taking apart mr. cube. I don't know myself, as my 600 damage poison bolts killed him right quick, but people say he's vulnerable to lightning so it kinda makes sense in that regard.
Also, what if you happened to have two sword-guys? A sword guy with high dex? Or missed Nex? (You can't miss the dismantler if you want it, but you can easily miss Nex)

And, just to make it clear, playing the entire damn game is useless and a waste of time. We do it because it's funny. No one said you had to get the dismantler, and complaining about the "chore" of getting it is just so utterly silly it makes my head explode. It's a game, you play it for fun, getting dismantler is part of the game, and part of that fun. You do quests and waste time getting experience or silly items that mean nothing whatsoever. It's not like killing mr electrocube saved the world for real now is it? Was the four or five drawings of the ending worth all the trouble going through 13 levels?
"Naaaaw, such a hassle."
You people... Lawd.

/rant
That being said, yeah it could be slightly buffed since it's supposed to be the ultimate weapon. On the other hand Nex is more secret/easier to miss so keeping them on the same level damage wise isn't really a bad thing from a design standpoint in my opinion.
Pyros

Post by Pyros »

I'd say Dismantler is easier to miss than Nex if you're not a completionist. Nex is part of a necessary puzzle for the game, you might not notice there's one additional step at the end, but it's right there in front of you when you get the key you need to progress to the next level(arguably though you could progress with only 3 of the 4keys so you might never do that particular puzzle but odds are low). On the other hand Dismantler area entrance is hidden behind a secret passage. You can skip it entirely very easily unless you backtrack to the previous level when you see areas you haven't visited on the dismantler level and find the entrance there.

Anyway I think Dismantler is fine, it's probably a static % proc chance, which means combined with flurry and increased attack speed from 50points in sword, it's probably going to outdamage Nex eventually. Even if it's not superior, it's not a big deal, at least there's 2 decent choices. There's no frost or lightning orbs/staff, there's no crossbow besides the starting one which you get on lvl 2 or 3(there is a bow but it's a bit weird what with the different ammo and stuff that xbow is basically not upgraded ever). I'd rather have 2 good swords to choose from than none, or even just one.
pruchel

Post by pruchel »

The vault has a whole level. You _can't_ miss it unless you're purposefully trying to. When walking through the level the map showing the secret entrance is right there on the floor.
I missed Nex the first time I did the puzzle, got it after I ran through the level again trying to find secrets. If I wasn't a munchkin I'd never have gotten it.
Going past a switch which closes a trapdoor (though seemingly for no reason) is very easy, going past an entire level you can't enter, with a prominent clue as to how to do so on the floor, not so much.

But yeah. Whatever. I think it's fine too, looks cool :P
Lmiara

Post by Lmiara »

Just git the Dismantler, a very nice weapon indeed but I'll stick with Nex on my sword Minotaure.
Babe Bridou

Post by Babe Bridou »

pruchel wrote:The vault has a whole level. You _can't_ miss it unless you're purposefully trying to. When walking through the level the map showing the secret entrance is right there on the floor.
Sure you can miss it. I've only came back to it after completing the game. I missed it because that map was garbage to me, what with me playing old school mode without drawing any map.