Door to Fighter's Challenge on LvL6

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
HarpoonIPA

Re: Door to Fighter's Challenge on LvL6

Post by HarpoonIPA »

nianu wrote:i don't use swords so i probably saw it but didn't think twice about picking it up :P besides,
SpoilerShow
there's fireballs pelting me repeatedly lol. i went in, saw the scroll, then reloaded my previous save
thank you :)
Unless you are powerful enough to make your own fireballs, you need that fire sword to close the pit to get to a few goodies in the area of
SpoilerShow
a key, the sword of Nex and the fighter challenge area
nianu

Post by nianu »

i've already finished the game. i'm going through and finishing my maps by finding secrets i missed :) thank you for the tip though :D i have two mages in my group so i used their magic for that part :) that's why i didn't have the sword. magic and fighter specialized in axes.
ᶘ╯ᵒᴥᵒᶅ╯︵ ┻━┻
PiousHeathen

Post by PiousHeathen »

I caved and looked up a solution on how to complete this section, but I'm having a problem:
SpoilerShow
The platform that raises to carry the round key no longer raises as part of the switch sequence. I get trapped in the corner without a way out except down.
Does the trap/puzzle stop working normally if you have gone down a floor or activated something else in the level?
PSY

Post by PSY »

Went down with Sword of Nex AND Fire Blade --> Door opened
Went down with Fire Blade --> Door stayed shut
Went down with Sword of Nex --> Door opened

Worked with Sword of Nex either having equipped or in inventory.

There's also a trick to open the door and active the teleporter without stepping forward, giving you a tactical advantage in the coming battle :!:

SpoilerShow
1) Go down stairs with Sword of Nex on you
2) Toss any item at door - door will open
3) Toss any item at demon face - teleporter will be activated
4) Throw bomb or shoot arrow through teleporter (look at experience bar to confirm hit)
5) Wait a bit so monsters can move and repeat step 4. Do this a few times. You can toss all your stuff through the teleporter if you want to (makes it hard to pick up the arrows, though 8-) )
6) You should have done some serious damage now. Run through teleporter, hit forward key and let those weapons swing until you hit the wall (don't forget to pick up arrows or whatever your favorite throwing/shooting weapon was)
7) Now you're at the wall, meaning monsters can only attack you from 3 directions. Plus, you've already killed some of the stuff
8) Fight your way to your corner of choice
9) Lay waste on the rest and knock yourself out looting

PSY
Last edited by PSY on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
tdunaj

Post by tdunaj »

PiousHeathen wrote:I caved and looked up a solution on how to complete this section, but I'm having a problem:
SpoilerShow
The platform that raises to carry the round key no longer raises as part of the switch sequence. I get trapped in the corner without a way out except down.
Does the trap/puzzle stop working normally if you have gone down a floor or activated something else in the level?
SpoilerShow
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but I had to pick up a torch from the wall to close one of the platforms. That allowed me to complete puzzle.
PiousHeathen

Post by PiousHeathen »

tdunaj wrote:
PiousHeathen wrote:I caved and looked up a solution on how to complete this section, but I'm having a problem:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but I had to pick up a torch from the wall to close one of the platforms. That allowed me to complete puzzle.
Thank you, that was my issue. I must have fiddled with it and not noticed when I was re-running this section.
Phlimm

Post by Phlimm »

PSY wrote:
There's also a trick to open the door and active the teleporter without stepping forward, giving you a tactical advantage in the coming battle :!:

SpoilerShow
4) Throw bomb or shoot arrow through teleporter (look at experience bar to confirm hit)
5) Wait a bit so monsters can move and repeat step 4. Do this a few times. You can toss all your stuff through the teleporter if you want to (makes it hard to pick up the arrows, though 8-) )
6) You should have done some serious damage now. Run through teleporter, hit forward key and let those weapons swing until you hit the wall (don't forget to pick up arrows or whatever your favorite throwing/shooting weapon was)
7) Now you're at the wall, meaning monsters can only attack you from 3 directions. Plus, you've already killed some of the stuff
Does this work since the patch? I just now tried this and used up 27 arrows, 15 crossbow bolts, 9 shurikens, 11 throwing daggers, 3 fire bombs, 4 poison bombs and 2 each of electrical and frost bombs. Never saw the XP increase at all and when I popped through they were all there to greet me. Is it possible this was seen as an exploit and patched out?

Or maybe I was not waiting long enough...how long is long enough to wait between volleys?
PSY

Post by PSY »

Phlimm wrote:
PSY wrote:

SpoilerShow
Does this work since the patch? I just now tried this and used up 27 arrows, 15 crossbow bolts, 9 shurikens, 11 throwing daggers, 3 fire bombs, 4 poison bombs and 2 each of electrical and frost bombs. Never saw the XP increase at all and when I popped through they were all there to greet me. Is it possible this was seen as an exploit and patched out?

Or maybe I was not waiting long enough...how long is long enough to wait between volleys?
Still works, just checked it. I shot 14 quarrels and threw a bunch of bombs. Received 2k+ xp
I waited about 4-7 seconds after each volley.
And I know for sure it wasn't seen as an exploit.

It's really strange that you fired all the stuff and never got any xp...
Phlimm

Post by Phlimm »

PSY wrote:Still works, just checked it. I shot 14 quarrels and threw a bunch of bombs. Received 2k+ xp
I waited about 4-7 seconds after each volley.
And I know for sure it wasn't seen as an exploit.

It's really strange that you fired all the stuff and never got any xp...
Yeah I tried multiple times. After all those normal arrows I fired 10 frost arrows and 4 fire arrows too. I did get maybe 200 XP, but I felt that to be a huge waste of resources. So I reloaded and went invisible opting for stealth instead of picking them off. That allowed me to maneuver to the secret button and get into the alcove where I was able to murder them all. Still could not do it without losing both mages though. Ah well, it is done now.
PSY

Post by PSY »

Congratulations, then :)