cannot find bladed gear

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Infael

cannot find bladed gear

Post by Infael »

I watched a YT video and read this forum. I restarted the level and *scoured* the level multiple times, looking for the bladed gear. I even moved the scraps to a corner. No luck at all.

I think this has to be a bug
Dr.Disaster

Re: cannot find bladed gear

Post by Dr.Disaster »

oh my ..
Komag wrote:Why on earth would you assume it's a bug? This gets me every time, people come upon something and so quickly assume it can't be them, it must be the game has a bug!
just for the records:
- LoG 1 is about three and a half years old now
- it has sold over a million copies
- game-breaking bugs like a missing bladed gear have been fixed a long time ago
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Infael wrote:I watched a YT video and read this forum. I restarted the level and *scoured* the level multiple times, looking for the bladed gear. I even moved the scraps to a corner. No luck at all.

I think this has to be a bug
You're not the first person to think so:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6349#p67162

Here's a map that shows you the exact location of the bladed gear:
http://legendofgrimrock.com/?id=17&site=1
minmay

Post by minmay »

Dr.Disaster wrote:just for the records:
- LoG 1 is about three and a half years old now
- it has sold over a million copies
- game-breaking bugs like a missing bladed gear have been fixed a long time ago
I see you've never shipped a software product.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

minmay wrote:I see you've never shipped a software product.
Is that required to say that pre-beta-level bugs do not magically reappear in long released software?

I explizitly quoted Komag because i couldn't have phrased it any nicer or better. Claiming to run into a game-breaking bug like a missing key item, an unsolvable puzzle or anything similar in a game out since 2012 and as well received as LoG 1 is just wrong. That's like saying nobody did buy, review, (let's) play or solve it in all that time.

The bladed gear is in no way hidden, it's not in a secret, it's not even in a container or alcove. It's simply resting on the floor of level 13 at 22/16 ready to be picked up by anyone passing by. It's indeed possible that it got covered by larger items i.e. the large gears of which there are plenty or being tossed away because it was mistaking to be just another piece of garbadge but that's a whole different story.
Infael

Post by Infael »

I went to the spot on the map Zo Kath Ra linked to....and there was nothing at all. Just a blank wall and a bare floor. I scoured the entire level and read the forums and watched YouTube videos.

If the bladed gear is no where to be found after scouring the entire level multiple times, falling through all the pits and moving all gears, scraps and whatnot to a square, it is a bug.

Someone mentioned spawning the gear, without saying how. Does anyone know how to do this?
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Infael wrote:I went to the spot on the map Zo Kath Ra linked to....and there was nothing at all. Just a blank wall and a bare floor. I scoured the entire level and read the forums and watched YouTube videos.

If the bladed gear is no where to be found after scouring the entire level multiple times, falling through all the pits and moving all gears, scraps and whatnot to a square, it is a bug.

Someone mentioned spawning the gear, without saying how. Does anyone know how to do this?
This console script will teleport you to the location of the bladed gear, if it exists in the game:

Code: Select all

for i = 1, getMaxLevels() do 
    for x = 1, 32 do 
        for y = 1, 32 do 
            local entities = entitiesAt(i, x, y) 

for entity in entities do 
                if (entity.name == "machine_part_east") then 
                    print("x = " .. entity.x .. " / y = " .. entity.y .. " / facing = " .. entity.facing .. " / level = " .. entity.level) 
                    party:setPosition(entity.x, entity.y, party.facing, entity.level) 
                end 
            end 
        end 
    end 
end 
If the bladed gear doesn't exist anywhere in the game, you can create one with this console script:

spawn("machine_part_east")
If you don't know how to use the console, just ask :)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Screenshot from a new game (v1.3.7 Windows).
In case you are running a different version please tell us which it is; you can see it in the bottom left corner in the main menu.

As the console verifies the bladed gear sits on level 13 at 22/16. In case the bladed gear was moved the same command will locate it unless it's been moved into a container or inventory.

Update:
To make sure that your game installation is ok:
- start a new game with the default party
=> be adviced that this will overwrite the "Autosave" slot. In case this holds your current save game create an extra save game for it!
- after the game has finished loading open the console
- enter this line into the console with copy'n'paste (Strg-c -> Strg-v):

for i=1,13 do for j in allEntities(i) do if j.name=="machine_part_east" then print(j.level,j.x,j.y) end end end
Your installation is ok when the console returns "13 22 16". If it does not, something is fishy.
krawler

Post by krawler »

Edit - never mind. I was confused about which part was missing because I didn't click in exactly the right place on the mechanism. :roll:
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

krawler wrote:Edit - never mind. I was confused about which part was missing because I didn't click in exactly the right place on the mechanism. :roll:
ah it's already placed into it's position