IMPORTANT: please, make your games strings editable

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
hexaae

IMPORTANT: please, make your games strings editable

Post by hexaae »

@developers
I've seen Grimrock 2 is coming...
As Italian has never been officially supported I'd like to suggest to developers to make at least LoG2 use external editable strings (see for example Divinity Original Sin, strings are in a simple XML editable format). This will make it possible to translate the game also for non officially supported languages, which is always the best thing to do to please all customers.

Thank you
Isaac

Re: IMPORTANT: please, make your games strings editable

Post by Isaac »

hexaae wrote:@developers
I've seen Grimrock 2 is coming...
As Italian has never been officially supported I'd like to suggest to developers to make at least LoG2 use external editable strings (see for example Divinity Original Sin, strings are in a simple XML editable format). This will make it possible to translate the game also for non officially supported languages, which is always the best thing to do to please all customers.

Thank you
No one here really knows... but it would at least seem plausible that they could assign a variable 'source' path to a language/string file, and that users might make custom string lists for the game to use instead of its default languages. The big concern perhaps is just to ensure that certain special characters in the strings never affect the game adversely or get used with strange results.
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

Yep.... and must not cause issues (max string length etc)... and of course special chars (Italian accented vowels àèìòù or German äëïöü etc.) should be supported (UTF-8?)...
Would be great. At least user fan community will be able to localize these great games by their own. Happy users, even more sells ;)
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

No reply from developers?
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

hexaae wrote:No reply from developers?
This late in the project, either it's already done that way, or it's way too late thing to change.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
petri

Post by petri »

We are a small team and we have to prioritize our work. Localization is a lot bigger task than you would think, especially with the amount of content we have in Grimrock 2. So I'm sorry to say Grimrock 2 will only be available in english, at least in the launch version.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

petri wrote:We are a small team and we have to prioritize our work. Localization is a lot bigger task than you would think, especially with the amount of content we have in Grimrock 2. So I'm sorry to say Grimrock 2 will only be available in english, at least in the launch version.
That really implies NPC dialog and not just menus. 8-)
[We'll find out when it ships.]
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

This is a pretty fun overview of localization issues.. (computerphile on youtube)

Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
petri

Post by petri »

Great video, thanks for sharing! :)
willow

Post by willow »

petri wrote:We are a small team and we have to prioritize our work. Localization is a lot bigger task than you would think, especially with the amount of content we have in Grimrock 2. So I'm sorry to say Grimrock 2 will only be available in english, at least in the launch version.
Thanks but it's a sad day.

No french translation with LOG1. OK because it was your first project. Even whith this successfull game, today it doesn't exist french version of 1 (a french version by community have been realized but it's doesn't compatible with the last patch and community doens't know how make: thread here http://www.rpgfrance.com/taverne-topic- ... -francaise)

With LOG2, you might have made any effort. If you can't make the translation because you are a little team, you could use community before the release to make translation like beamdog make with baldur's gate1,2 and icewindale enhanced edition. I think lots of players will be agree to help you even withtout being paid.