d3derror - getdevicecaps failes

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
qwert42

d3derror - getdevicecaps failes

Post by qwert42 »

Hi,

I installed the game, but unfortunatelly I can'1 start it. :cry: I've got the next error message:
"The following error occured while startink up the game:
d3derror - getdevicecaps failes: d3derr_notavailable

please check your computer meets the minimum system
requirements and that graphics card and sound card drivers are up to date."

My computer is: win 7, 64bit, home premium, Dell Studio XPS15z notebook Ci7 2620M 2.7Ghz, 8gb ram, 750gb hdd, nvidia geforce gt 525M

What is the problem? Thanks for your help.

Peter
Dr.Disaster

Re: d3derror - getdevicecaps failes

Post by Dr.Disaster »

The error messages tells me that you got a driver problem (Win7's DirectX can't "talk" with something), so
please check ... that graphics card and sound card drivers are up to date
qwert42

Post by qwert42 »

I downloaded the newest driver for the graphic card and for the sound card, but unfortunatelly I've got the same error message. My config is:

Display (1920x1080@60Hz)
intel HD Graphics Family (Dell)
Intel Core i7 2620M @ 2.70GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm
2047MBNVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (Dell
698GB Western Digital WDC WD7500BPKT-75PK4T0 (SATA)
8,00GB Double DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
2047MBNVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (Dell)
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS30N
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

That's just hardware. Drivers are software. Make sure you have those you need from DELL support and they are properly installed. You can also check with the "DXDiag" tool if there is any problem inside your DirectX config.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

qwert42 wrote:Hi,

I installed the game, but unfortunatelly I can'1 start it. :cry: I've got the next error message:
"The following error occured while startink up the game:
d3derror - getdevicecaps failes: d3derr_notavailable

please check your computer meets the minimum system
requirements and that graphics card and sound card drivers are up to date."

My computer is: win 7, 64bit, home premium, Dell Studio XPS15z notebook Ci7 2620M 2.7Ghz, 8gb ram, 750gb hdd, nvidia geforce gt 525M

What is the problem? Thanks for your help.

Peter
Had never this issue myself but I found hints about that this is related to issues with the device detection by directX (especially in multi-GPU setups). Some tipps were disabling the device in the hardware manager (safe mode), deinstalling the driver and re-detecting it and re-installing the drivers.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

There was a problem I remember from ages ago where certain Dell machines had this problem running Grimrock. I expect that the problem is being caused by out of date graphics drivers (I also wonder if it's trying to run the game on the Intel GPU instead of your proper GPU). Things to try...

1. Download the latest Nvidia driver from: NVidia Driver Downloads. Make sure you select the correct driver for your OS and graphics card from the dropdowns.

2. Make sure that Legend of Grimrock is actually using your Nvidia GPU instead of defaulting to the onboard Intel GPU which commonly happens.

a. Right click on the Nvidia icon in your system tray and select 'Nvidia Control Panel'.
b. From here, go to 'Manage 3D Settings'.
c. Go to the 'Program Settings' tab.
d. Select 'Grimrock.exe' from the drop down. If it's not there, you might have to add it manually.
e. Make sure it says "Use Dedicated Graphics Card" instead of "Auto (Default: Intel ...)".

3. If the game still refuses to run, I would suggest getting the latest Intel HD Graphics driver from the intel site. You can either use the Intel Driver Update Tool or you can download the driver directly Intel Driver Downloads. By my reckoning you want Graphics/Laptop/Intel HD 3000 Series - which leads to (URL too messy for the boards to accept)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Search ... amilyId=39

This Download Page. Note that these will probably be many months ahead of the ones you find on the Dell driver page and will fix a number of bugs, but there is a tiny, tiny chance that they might not work properly and you'll have to go back to the old drivers. Note that this is incredibly rare.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.