Game very slow because of lightning effects

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
tigrezno

Game very slow because of lightning effects

Post by tigrezno »

I found that when a room has 3+ torches the game slows a lot.

This also happens when enemies start throwing poison clouds. Game will move at 2-5 fps, making it almost unplayable.

I have an Nvidia gtx650, 4gb ram, amd quadcore, ubuntu 12.10. I can move many other games on high settings without problem. I think this must be some sort of bug or bad algorithm.
antti

Re: Game very slow because of lightning effects

Post by antti »

The high quality realtime shadows used in the game can be very demanding (especially if there's a lot of light sources that take up a lot of screen space - something that the original Grimrock dungeon tries to avoid) but you should be able to compensate by dialing down the shadow quality from the settings. The game provides a lot of scalability so that even very low spec machines should be able to run it with fluid framerate.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
mannerov

Post by mannerov »

I have no such slowdown with intel hd4000 graphics and everything at high quality in the settings.
Even if there is a lot of torchs, the game doesn't slow down at a point it lags.

It may be a bug in the nvidia driver.

How do you show the fps?
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

With that graphics card you should have no problem marching around the dungeon with all of the settings on Max settings (even if you might drop a couple of FPS in a few places).

Are you sure that you are running the latest version of the NVidia drivers? It sounds like the game is running on your integrated graphics instead of the GeForce card. By default, I think Ubuntu uses alternative GeForce drivers that do NOT support 3D acceleration. You have to specifically tell Ubuntu to use proprietary / closed source drivers to get good 3D performance.

I've always done this through the restricted drivers icon in the system tool tray in the top right of the screen, but this article provides other methods: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... wto/Nvidia
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Ah yes, I forgot about that issue, that sometimes Grimrock isn't properly detected by your system and it then uses the onboard junk instead of your powerful graphics card
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

JohnWordsworth wrote:With that graphics card you should have no problem marching around the dungeon with all of the settings on Max settings (even if you might drop a couple of FPS in a few places).

Are you sure that you are running the latest version of the NVidia drivers? It sounds like the game is running on your integrated graphics instead of the GeForce card. By default, I think Ubuntu uses alternative GeForce drivers that do NOT support 3D acceleration. You have to specifically tell Ubuntu to use proprietary / closed source drivers to get good 3D performance.

I've always done this through the restricted drivers icon in the system tool tray in the top right of the screen, but this article provides other methods: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... wto/Nvidia
Yes, I'm using binary drivers. I've played serious sam 3 on max settings, counter strike source, left 4 dead 2, no problems at all. My PC runs Crysis 2/3 too in windows.

As Komag said, it must be some sort of video card detection bug or such.
FlashSoul

Post by FlashSoul »

Is there a way to know what card/driver is used? Like "r_lastValidRenderer" in id tech 3...