Hitting yourself with spells while moving BACKWARDS

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Ixnatifual

Hitting yourself with spells while moving BACKWARDS

Post by Ixnatifual »

Something that I've started to find increasingly annoying is that frequently when you backpeddle while casting a spell, somehow you get hit by it. Exactly what you don't need in a tough fight where you're backtracking like mad. It can be avoided by just making sure to stand still or strafe sideways while casting, but it's typically a bit counterintuitive so often you end up backpeddling anyway... and inevitably hitting yourself with your spell somehow in the process.

I can understand hitting yourself if you move forward into the direction the spell is cast, but not when you're moving the opposite way :)

EDIT: I tried to reproduce it backpeddling down a long corridor, but couldn't. Perhaps it occurs while backing away from a wall, since shooting a wall next to you damages you. I don't think this has been the case in all the situations, though. I'll come back with more info if I find any.
Komag

Re: Hitting yourself with spells while moving BACKWARDS

Post by Komag »

it could be the wall thing, as the game considers you still next to it until you are fully in the next square. For instance, you can grab something from a wall alcove after pressing back but just before you're all the way done stepping back.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

This bug is still live in the game. The simple way to avoid it happening is to just not move backwards while shooting a spell until it's out of your immediate vicinity. I've also seen it occur while watching a friend playing through my dungeon, so I know it's not just me.

And here's a pretty clear example of it from Youtube. Check out 14:45 of this video. As you can tell from the video, there's plenty of squares of space in front of the player to the nearest wall.

Most of the time when you move backwards and fire, it doesn't happen. But high levels spells can really hurt, so when the bug does occur, it's usually painful.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

Ixnatifual wrote:This bug is still live in the game. The simple way to avoid it happening is to just not move backwards while shooting a spell until it's out of your immediate vicinity. I've also seen it occur while watching a friend playing through my dungeon, so I know it's not just me.

And here's a pretty clear example of it from Youtube. Check out 14:45 of this video. As you can tell from the video, there's plenty of squares of space in front of the player to the nearest wall.

Most of the time when you move backwards and fire, it doesn't happen. But high levels spells can really hurt, so when the bug does occur, it's usually painful.
finally added to bug list: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4567