weird amount of gained experience

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Lex
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 pm

weird amount of gained experience

Post by Lex » Sun May 13, 2012 1:31 am

As I am monitoring my party to check if all characters are getting full XP points after every fight I sometimes noticed weird things with that.

For example: on level 6: four spiders on the way to Cutlass - after killing each of them, one by one, there were four messages 175XP, but I noticed that characters in my party gained two times 192XP and two times 193XP - it's like 10% more than it should be (175XP x 1.1 = 192.5XP)... Is it a bug? (If not, can someone explain me why?)

I've checked all my equipment and there is no XP boosting items - also it was the same XP for whole party, not for just one member.
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link

\/4n!ll4 ][c3
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:39 am

Re: weird amount of gained experience

Post by \/4n!ll4 ][c3 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:07 am

it is probably some sort of hidden bonus multiplier that could be based on any number of things. could be a multiplier because the monster had more than the average amount of health, maybe you killed it extremely quickly and got a bonus, bonus for taking no damage. any number of things like that.

User avatar
Thels
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:42 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: weird amount of gained experience

Post by Thels » Sun May 13, 2012 9:15 am

The snail you encounter at level 2 in the Cellar was also worth 66 XP, rather than 60 XP.

User avatar
petri
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm
Location: Finland

Re: weird amount of gained experience

Post by petri » Sun May 13, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks for the report! Sounds like the onscreen exp indicator doesn't take into account the bonus exp gained from advanced monsters.

User avatar
Darklord
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 pm
Location: England

Re: weird amount of gained experience

Post by Darklord » Sun May 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Interesting, so some monsters that look the same are tougher than others? So you get a normal spider and a tough spider for example?

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...

User avatar
Disasterrific
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Re: weird amount of gained experience

Post by Disasterrific » Sun May 13, 2012 6:25 pm

You haven't noticed it now and then? That Ugguardian on level 11 is really tough and there are a few other cases where it's taken more hits than I expected to bring down some or other beast.

User avatar
Lex
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: weird amount of gained experience

Post by Lex » Sun May 13, 2012 7:17 pm

petri wrote:Thanks for the report! Sounds like the onscreen exp indicator doesn't take into account the bonus exp gained from advanced monsters.
Ah, so it is a bug. Thanks for confirmation.

Is there any topic about next patch progress (= what is going to be fixed?). There is only 1.1.4 patch progression but it is already released?
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link

User avatar
Thels
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:42 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: weird amount of gained experience

Post by Thels » Sun May 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Lex wrote:
petri wrote:Thanks for the report! Sounds like the onscreen exp indicator doesn't take into account the bonus exp gained from advanced monsters.
Ah, so it is a bug. Thanks for confirmation.

Is there any topic about next patch progress (= what is going to be fixed?). There is only 1.1.4 patch progression but it is already released?
Since the editor is going to be built into the game, I guess the next patch (1.2.0?) would come out when the editor is ready for release.

User avatar
Darklord
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 pm
Location: England

Re: weird amount of gained experience

Post by Darklord » Sun May 13, 2012 7:47 pm

Disasterrific wrote:You haven't noticed it now and then? That Ugguardian on level 11 is really tough and there are a few other cases where it's taken more hits than I expected to bring down some or other beast.
No I didn't! Good to know though, means we'll be able to make adjustments for our own dungeons. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...

User avatar
Lex
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: weird amount of gained experience

Post by Lex » Sun May 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Thels wrote:Since the editor is going to be built into the game, I guess the next patch (1.2.0?) would come out when the editor is ready for release.
TBH, I'm more interested to see the list of current known bugs (to be fixed) than in release date of next patch. :D I'm paying great attention to every aspect / detail of this game (I like to play strategically, I'm also former games reviewer and tester) and sometimes I'm experiencing "weird things" (as the above one, just less important to overall game experience, so probably not so important for any other player) and I'd like to know if they are something normal or "to be fixed" :)
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link

Post Reply