bug report: character creation time counts as gameplay time

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
dnk

bug report: character creation time counts as gameplay time

Post by dnk »

well that's it. character creation time counts as gameplay time.

i believe it shouldn't.
oodyboo

Re: bug report: character creation time counts as gameplay t

Post by oodyboo »

apparently a lot of people would disagree with you, as they consider character creation and building to be the essence of the game. I think it is a part of the game play, so why shouldn't it be counted?

also, I fail to see how this makes any difference whatsoever... how does Gameplay time matter?
dnk

Post by dnk »

oodyboo wrote:apparently a lot of people would disagree with you, as they consider character creation and building to be the essence of the game. I think it is a part of the game play, so why shouldn't it be counted?

also, I fail to see how this makes any difference whatsoever... how does Gameplay time matter?
well, the time does matter when you want the "dungeon runner" acheivement. you get it if you finish the first level within 4 minutes). in my first attempt, i was "playing" the game for 10 minutes already before even entering the dungeon. trying to play the game fast is really fun, but trying to create your party fast (memorizing where which button is) is a very boring part of the achievement this way.

sure, you can just use the default party for this achievement, but it would be more fun, to be able to try different setups of classes and skills and consequently different tactics... which you can't this way.

4 minutes is really tight, so the time spent on creating the characters matters a lot.
even after practicing a lot, it always takes me around 1 minute to create my characters. so that' s like 25% already wasted (of the time you have for that achievment) before you even begin.
montagneyaya

Post by montagneyaya »

For this achievment I create my party with two minotor fighter (max strenght, traits aggressive and fist fighter) and two insectoid mage (max willpower, 2 skills point fire, traits aura and strong mind) time : 50s
After a little chance, no stop for reflection, no take weapon, I finish the level at 3min 58s. If you remove the creation time the level is finish in 3min 08s.

I try 5 time to succed, good luck.
dnk

Post by dnk »

montagneyaya wrote:For this achievment I create my party with two minotor fighter (max strenght, traits aggressive and fist fighter) and two insectoid mage (max willpower, 2 skills point fire, traits aura and strong mind) time : 50s
After a little chance, no stop for reflection, no take weapon, I finish the level at 3min 58s. If you remove the creation time the level is finish in 3min 08s.

I try 5 time to succed, good luck.
i was able to finish the level below 3 minutes few times already, so i don't need any hints for that. i'm just absolutely unable to create my party for this in 50s. usually around 1:15-1:30 even when i write down what characters i want, before choosing the "new game".
(btw taking 2 human mages, with "skilled" traits, so you can give them 7 skill points in fire magic is more useful, because you can use the fireburst spell, just not sure if this is kosher or a bug, if you can do fireburst even without the scroll))

anyway i think that this is just a bug. i mean it's stupid. it's a game. it was made do you have fun and i cannot see how anybody can have fun retrying to create the characters as fast as possible many times in a row without even playing the dungeon.
montagneyaya

Post by montagneyaya »

dnk wrote:(btw taking 2 human mages, with "skilled" traits, so you can give them 7 skill points in fire magic is more useful, because you can use the fireburst spell, just not sure if this is kosher or a bug, if you can do fireburst even without the scroll))
All spell can be called without scroll, the scrolls are just information, if you know the spell and have enough skill point it's ok.
zalewapl

Post by zalewapl »

I believe its very difficult if not impossible to do the runners challenge with default party. Their firepower is not strong enough and they won't kill the monsters that get in the way fast enough. I used 4 fist fighters for this. Here's my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlRtJ6DTzCA

I also believe that it is an oversight that there is an achievement for beating the first level in 4 minutes and yet the time is already running in the party creation menu. If not for that achievement it wouldn't really matter.
oodyboo

Post by oodyboo »

dnk wrote:well, the time does matter when you want the "dungeon runner" acheivement.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Hopefully they will fix this in next patch.