FPS drops on year old computer

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
arq

FPS drops on year old computer

Post by arq »

I have odd fps spikes with Legend of Grimrock on a year old system that should not chug with the game.

The fps drops were present from the very beginning and on the first level. The fps is pretty constant 60, but sometimes when moving forward, especially towards torches, the fps drops to 30-45 for a second or two and then rises back to 60.

I have all settings on high, vsync enabled, 1920x1080.

Computer specs:
i5 6600k
Geforce GTX 1060 6gb
16gb DDR4
Game installed on SSD
64bit Win 10

....so the game clearly should work smoothly. No problems with the sequel, Legend of Grimrock II. Both games are Steam versions.

Any known issues or how I should prevent the fps drops? Disable vsync or something else?
Dr.Disaster

Re: FPS drops on year old computer

Post by Dr.Disaster »

My best guess would be that's some odd nVidia driver effect. I've recently decided to revert back to v368.81 after being disappointed by current drivers performance. IIRC that was the very first driver to support the 1060. Now that version reversal is fine with me since i'm still using a GTX 760 but i can't say if it would do you any good. IF you want to try going back, make sure like with any other mayor nvidia driver update to use a driver uninstaller tool like DDU in the process before installing a new display driver. Since you're on Win10 you might also want to prevent Win10 from automatically updating your video drivers by going there: right-click Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Properties -> Hardware Tab -> Device Installation Setting -> select "No" and save.

Now what you can try on the spot is this:
In LoG's Options menu pick "Triple Buffer" for the "Wait on Vertical Sync" setting. With this setting you might still see a little spiking below 60 fps when you start moving but at least you should not get any huge Vsync-related fps drops.
arq

Re: FPS drops on year old computer

Post by arq »

Thx, I'll try the vsync options or fidle with other options first and then consider reverting back to older drivers. I actually have the newest drivers currently ( 378.92 ).

[edit] Seems like the Triple Buffer on vsync option did the trick. I had the same option enabled in Legend of Grimrock 2, but still didn't realize to check if there are more options than just on/off in the first one.