D3D error

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Kormirg

D3D error

Post by Kormirg »

Purchased the game through Steam and can't get it to start. Upon attempting to launch the game from my Steam client I get a black screen that sort of flashes once or twice followed by this error message:

The following error occurred while starting up the game: D3DError - CreateDevice failed_D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

The error message then suggests I check my system specs (well above the minimum), update sound and graphics drivers (done) and make sure my direct X installation is OK (running dxdiag shows no errors).

I'm running the 64 bit version of Win 7 Home Premium and have played a number of other games on this system (Doom 3, Oblivion, Torchlight, Orcs Must Die, Defense Grid and Dungeon Defender among others in the past few weeks).

Looking through the forum here I noticed some people have found they don't have a config file in their LoG folder. I checked and I don't see a cfg file for my installation of LoG either. I've used my Steam client to "delete local content" of LoG, downloaded it again and tried to start it up but the same thing has happened after two or three installations.

I played Dungeon Keeper (think that's the title) on my old Commodore Amiga years ago and am really looking forward to playing LoG. Will be glad to provide system specs of my home built computer if that will help.

How should I proceed to solve this problem.

Thanks and I look forward to playing LoG.
petri

Re: D3D error

Post by petri »

This is a known issue on some systems (rare). The auto detection of native resolution fails.

To work around the problem:
1) Open the config file at Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grirmrock\grimrock.cfg
2) Find the line with resolution something along: resolution = "XXX x YYY" where XXX = horizontal resolution and YYY = vertical resolution
3) Fix the XXX and YYY to match you display's resolution.

If this doesn't work you can try running the game in windowed or borderless mode:
displayMode = 2 (windowed)
displayMode = 3 (borderless)

This problem will be addressed in the upcoming patch.
Kormirg

Re: D3D error

Post by Kormirg »

I didn't understand that the game config file was in my Documents folder as I had seen the resolution settings as a fix for a similar problem. I edited the cfg file as you suggested (1680x1050 in my case) and everything seems fine now. Only had a few minutes to try it out, but liked what I saw and am looking forward to further play. Also nice to see the game has a setting allowing the selection of other dungeons. Any forthcoming soon?

Nice work and great fast support!

Thank you. :D