Story: Through the Grimrock

Show off your Legend of Grimrock art, fiction, music or whatever!
AnnElfwind

Re: Story: Through the Grimrock

Post by AnnElfwind »

Heh. I actually finished the interlude already! Way shorter than the two prequels, but necessary. Hopefully not too bad.
Here you go!

Interlude - Sort of

There was a knock on the door.
"Whozit?" came the sleepy voice of Jack.
"A message from his highness the king," was the answer.
That woke Jack up and he started to get out of the bed, but was stopped by a hand fisting his shirt.
"What's going on?" the sleepy voice of Sinister asked.
"There's some royal pain knocking on our door," Jack explained.
"Can we kick the royal pain in the ass and go back to sleep?" Sinister asked with puppy dog eyes.
"Sorry, but I don't think it will be possible," Jack kissed his lover and then moved to answer the door.
"Why not?" whined Sinister.
"Because of my past..." grumbled Jack as he opened the door.
"What do you want?" he asked the man who was dressed in the most garish kind of yellow that existed.
"His highness asks that you make your way to the castle for a private audience."
"And what if I say no?" Jack asked. "I left all that in the past."
"I am afraid that if you resist, that I am authorized to use force and before you ask, I did not come alone. There are guards on each end of the corridor."
"Damn..." groused Jack. "Can't you zap him?" he turned to his lover.
"I'm not suicidal."
"Oh well... It was worth a shot..." sighed Jack. "I'll come, but on one condition."
"And what would that be?" the messanger asked.
"My three friends come with me if they so please," Jack promptly answered.
"Very well," the man answered. "I was actually expecting that."
"Good, now scram so that we can get ready," Jack slamed the door in the man's face and turned back to the bed.
"Guess I'm gonna see the palace from the inside," he muttered.
"Oh yes, you were disowned and never been there, right?" Sinister asked as he stood from the bed and went to look for his discarded clothing.
"I would prefer to keep it that way, but oh well..."

"So your royal relatives want you in the palace?" Shadow asked when they all congregated in Ruk'Ur's room.
"No idea what they want though..." Jack answered.
"Maybe to ask us about Grimrock?" Ruk'Ur suggested.
"Possibly, or something else, but we probably won't like it," Sinister said.
"You don't have to go, if you don't want to," Jask told them.
"And you know very well that we will go with you," Ruk'Ur shut him up as he answered with a small smile playing on his face.
'It's nice to know that they will stay with me through thick and thin,' thought Jack.
But his thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.
"This is getting old," he muttered and went to see if it was the royal pain in the ass.
"What do you want now?" he barked when he saw the man standing there.
"Are you ready to depart?" the man said in his neat and – to Jack – snobbish sounding voice.
Jack turned to the group.
"Are we ready to depart?" he asked them.
They nodded and stood up with their bags. Jack grabbed his and they all followed the messanger out of the inn.
There was a carriage waiting for them and they all piled in. It was a bit of a tight fit, considering Ruk'Ur's size. But they still managed somehow.
The messanger hauled himself onto the saddle of his horse and soon, they were all of to see the king.

Jack shook Sinister awake.
"Huh?" was the wizard's inteligent reply.
"We're there!" Shadow was bouncing in his seat.
"It will be nice to be out of this cramped space," Ruk'Ur said and was the first to exit the carriage when it came to a complete stop.
He was quickly followed by Shadow and then Jack and Sinister who were holding hands.
"This way," the messanger was walking towards a great oaken door.
There were guards on each side and they obviously recognized Jack even if this was his first time there, since they were glaring at him.
Well, it wasn't really his first time there, it was just his first time to enter the actuall palace. He was very well aquainted with the jail... Unlike the others, he was held in the main royal prison before being transported to Grimrock.
"You sure you've never been here before?" Shadow asked.
"Not inside the palace, no," Jack answered as they walked through the door and then followed their guide down a long corridor that was lined with portraits.
"Family members?" Sinister couldn't help but ask.
"Probably," Jack grinned. "I definitely don't know them."
"Through here, please," their guide interrupted as he indicated towards a door. Again, there were guards on each side. But at least this time, they weren't glaring.
One of them opened the door when they reached it and the guide told them to go in.
For a split second nobody moved. But then Jack decided to fuck it and strode through the doorway like he owned the place.
"I'm home!" he yelled and the others couldn't help but chuckle and laugh at his behaviour.
"Shut up you wacko!" a voce similar to Jack's yelled back.
"If I knew there were more of them like Jack, I would have never agreed to come here!" Shadow whined.
Ruk'Ur chuckled and Sinister just facepalmed.
'He's lucky I love him,' he thought.

Meanwhile, Jack and the man on the throne were glaring at each other.
"So, which one are you?" Jack asked. Rather rudely.
"Herbert."
And the group totally lost it. Laughing out loud.
"Seriously?" Jack managed between two bouts of laughter.
"I could have you thrown in Jail!" the king barked.
"Oh please..." Jack scoffed. "Been there, done that."
"Go figure..." Herbert grumbled.
"How did you escape anyway?" he asked.
"You threw me into Grimrock, remember?" Jack said. "And well, I'm stubborn."
"Amen to that," Sinister quiped.
"Bugger of!" Jask laughed, as he did the contradictory thing and tugged the mage close to him.
But became serious soon after, as if someone fliped a switch.
"So why are we here?" he asked.
"Because you're expendable and I need someone to find and bring back my heir."
"Yeah, well, I ain't doing it," Jack crossed his arms and glared at the king.
"You will, or you and your friends won't be leaving. Ever again," and there was something deadly in the king's voice.
"Why us?" Sinister asked. "And what exactly happened to the heir?"
"Because you escaped Grimrock. And he was kidnapped and none of the people I sent have returned."
"And do you have any idea where the heir is?" Ruk'Ur asked.
"I even have a way to send you there," Herbert answered.
Finally, Jack sighed.
"On one condition!" he said.
"And that would be?"
"You stay out of our lives when this is done!"
"Gladly," Herbert smirked. "After I have my son back."

Several hours later a platoon of royal mages were preparing a reverse summoning circle to send them to where the kidnapper was. Sinister was just itching to tell the mages what all they could improve, but decided to keep his mouth shut. Or well, it was just that there was something evem better to occupy him.
He loved magic and all the research that was a part of it, but he loved Jack even more and kissing him was the best passtime that he could eve ask for. Well, maybe with the exception of sex, but he didn't think they had enough time for that so he was content with kissing.
But soon, way too soon in Sinister's oppinion, they were interrupted by Shadow.
"Come on, guys, they're ready!" the excitable rogue called from where he was already standing in the circle.
They joined him and Ruk'Ur nad the mages started chanting the activation spell.
The lines of the circle started to glow and then there was a flash and the group was in the circle no more.

Next segment will be the actual dungeon, but I will have to play it again first. Already played it three times, but it was some time ago.
Look forward to Missing Heir - The Son of Herbert (working title, but will probably stick to it)
Last edited by AnnElfwind on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

AnnElfwind wrote: True. I already have planned which mod they will go into the next time, so I will try to detail the scenes more. I think that I'm mainly skiping the fights that I found boring when playing the actual map...
Oh, the fights may be boring when playing the game; but with some practice, you can tell a fun battle. And remember (for me, anyway), the story does not have to be a direct representation of the game or mod; so detailing some fights (and not even mentioning some), creates the illusion of danger for the characters, for the readers.

If you do "After a few fights, they..." Then the reader is going to get no sense that the characters are ever in any danger.

AnnElfwind wrote: Winter soldier? Interesting. Heh, maybe I will create a portrait of him for me to play as... Though then I would have to recreate the Cpt. too. Might be fun if I were to find some nice chibi versions. Already have Hulk, Hawkeye, Loki, Thor and Tony. :D I'm a Marvel nerd.
Marvel nerd? Might I recommend: http://www.comicreliefpodcast.com (Shameless promoting my podcast on your thread!)
AnnElfwind wrote: The change for the story is because I'm not that big a fan of female characters. You might have picked on that from the Wine Merchant's basement story where I decided to make Sheola a sort of a negative protagonist.
Hold on. Why are you not a fan of female characters?
AnnElfwind wrote: Absolutely! This bunch is special. Probably because they were originaly created just for kicks and I didn't have any expectations. And then they have to go and prove to me that they deserve several sequels. :D
I find when I play dungeon crawls (Realms of Arkania, Wizardry, Legend of Grimrock), the characters don't have backstory since you're creating them as you roll them up - and my imagination always demands me to find out why this party came together. I have written all kinds of "fan fiction" to explain my characters.
AnnElfwind wrote:
Sir Tawmis wrote: Awww come on! What were the tests? You can't do that! We need to know! :D
Um yeah... When I replayed the mod to remember it before writing the story, I sped through them as much as possible. Some of them were annoying. Like walking in a circle for who knows how long waiting for something to happen...
And then theres a bunch of questions that test how good you read the dialogue. And yeah... I guess that my thoughts were that Jack wouldn't pay too much attention to what Malbona is saying after deciding that he did not like the voice in his head. And I should probably stop about this segment, because I'm starting to rant. :D
Like I said, it doesn't have to be exactly like the mod; just make up some of the tests, or use the more interesting ones. In my LOG1 story I skipped over a LOT of the puzzles and riddles; probably like 80% of them, for the sake of just telling the story. I suspect I will do the same with the LOG2 story. But telling some of them, rather than breezing over it, gives the reader a chance to understand some of the troubles that the character(s) have endured. Especially when you say, "You have to pass some tests to prove worthy!" Then your next lien is, "After several tests..."

The reader is missing a great chance to see how this character was tested and pushed to their limits.

EDIT: Just saw you added to this; will read this tomorrow.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Sir Tawmis wrote: Oh, the fights may be boring when playing the game; but with some practice, you can tell a fun battle. And remember (for me, anyway), the story does not have to be a direct representation of the game or mod; so detailing some fights (and not even mentioning some), creates the illusion of danger for the characters, for the readers.

If you do "After a few fights, they..." Then the reader is going to get no sense that the characters are ever in any danger.
Another reason why the fights are not that detailed, but in the future probably will be, or at least I will try to make them so, is because these first parts were ment as a relatively short one shot, but it simply grew into a small behemoth and is still growing. Like I said, I'll definitely try to detail the fights more in the future, but I have a feeling that the guys would lynch me if I went and rewrote what's already written. 'guys' being Jack and co. :D

Sir Tawmis wrote:
Marvel nerd? Might I recommend: http://www.comicreliefpodcast.com (Shameless promoting my podcast on your thread!)
Will check that out when I get the time. :) Thanks for the tip. :D And as long as it is Marvel, promoting is encouraged. :D
Sir Tawmis wrote:
AnnElfwind wrote: The change for the story is because I'm not that big a fan of female characters. You might have picked on that from the Wine Merchant's basement story where I decided to make Sheola a sort of a negative protagonist.
Hold on. Why are you not a fan of female characters?
Because I'm a slash adict. Therefore gay stuff addict. And pairing two guys together is kinda impossible if one of them is a female. So therefore, females in my stories are mostly the bad guys (girls).
Partly, I blame Harry POtter fanfiction and the fact that I've always hated Ginny, partly I blame Naruto and my hatered for Sakura. One of the few existing female characters that I actually like is Natasha Romanoff. Like I said, Marvel nerd.
Sir Tawmis wrote:
I find when I play dungeon crawls (Realms of Arkania, Wizardry, Legend of Grimrock), the characters don't have backstory since you're creating them as you roll them up - and my imagination always demands me to find out why this party came together. I have written all kinds of "fan fiction" to explain my characters.
Yeah, I actually have another bunch that I'm writing fanfic about and then a bunch that exists in a fanfic but never has been created in the actual game. But other times, I simply make portraits of people from other fandoms and make a group of them.
You know Resident Evil? I have a group of characters from that. :D
Sir Tawmis wrote:
AnnElfwind wrote:
Sir Tawmis wrote: Awww come on! What were the tests? You can't do that! We need to know! :D
Um yeah... When I replayed the mod to remember it before writing the story, I sped through them as much as possible. Some of them were annoying. Like walking in a circle for who knows how long waiting for something to happen...
And then theres a bunch of questions that test how good you read the dialogue. And yeah... I guess that my thoughts were that Jack wouldn't pay too much attention to what Malbona is saying after deciding that he did not like the voice in his head. And I should probably stop about this segment, because I'm starting to rant. :D
Like I said, it doesn't have to be exactly like the mod; just make up some of the tests, or use the more interesting ones. In my LOG1 story I skipped over a LOT of the puzzles and riddles; probably like 80% of them, for the sake of just telling the story. I suspect I will do the same with the LOG2 story. But telling some of them, rather than breezing over it, gives the reader a chance to understand some of the troubles that the character(s) have endured. Especially when you say, "You have to pass some tests to prove worthy!" Then your next lien is, "After several tests..."

The reader is missing a great chance to see how this character was tested and pushed to their limits.

EDIT: Just saw you added to this; will read this tomorrow.
Yeah... Again, will note this for the future and try to improve on it, but Jack is done with Malbona and his tests and is preventing me from rewriting anything. :D I think he doesn'T want to go back there for fear of meeting Sheola again. :D

BTW: Any idea for a name that's even worse than Herbert? I was thinking Hyeronimus, but that would be stealing from Oblivion.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

AnnElfwind wrote:BTW: Any idea for a name that's even worse than Herbert?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horst_%28given_name%29
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:
That's a good one, but when I put it next to Herbert, it gives the impression that it is someone older. Maybe I should have specified, that it was ment as a name of the heir and the guy is definitely younger than Herbert, considering it's his son.
I might use Horst anyway, but it probably won't be for the heir. :) So thanks. :)
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

AnnElfwind wrote:
Zo Kath Ra wrote:
That's a good one, but when I put it next to Herbert, it gives the impression that it is someone older. Maybe I should have specified, that it was ment as a name of the heir and the guy is definitely younger than Herbert, considering it's his son.
I might use Horst anyway, but it probably won't be for the heir. :) So thanks. :)
Found the perfect name! Angus! I wanted one with H, but Angus will do. :D
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Hiya, decided to post the first part of the next segment already. So far so good. I finished the first two levels of the game already, so I have some material to write. Oh, and yes, I'm taking a lot of liberties with this mod, because the creator made it very story driven and some of it simply does not fit with the background that I already established.
Mod created by royandanna on Steam

Missing Heir – The Son of Herbert

The group appeared with a flash of light. When it faded, it was pitch black.
"Light, Sin," Jack murmured softly, not sure if there was something that could hear them. Better safe then sorry, right?
"Sure," Sinister answered just as softly. And said the required spell.
Their surroundings slowly became visible.
"Why do all the underground areas we go into look like Grimrock?" whined Jack.
"And where did our gear go?" Shadow asked.
"The court mages probably botched the summoning..." grumbled Sinister. "At least we have our clothes that we were wearing when being transported." he added.
"We should be happy for small miracles," Ruk'Ur nodded.
"So, which way?" Jack decided to change the topic.
"That way," Sinister pointed. "It's the only way that's not blocked."
"So, does anyone know where we are?" Shadow asked after they turned a corner.
"Well, according to this text, it is the Steeprock Old Town," Sinister said after he read the inscription.
"Doesn't look like much..." muttered Jack.
"Probably because this is the old Steeprock. The new one was build on top of it," suprisingly Ruk'Ur was the one to answer.
"How do you know that?" Sinister asked with interest.
"Because one of my kin used to live in the Old Steeprock Town. Of course, it was known as just Steeprock back then."
"So do you know the way around?" Jack asked.
"I might recognize some areas from the tales I heard, but it has probably changed a lot since then," Ruk'Ur answered.
"So let's go!" Shadow urged everyone. "This time all of us are going! Jack is not steeling all the fun this time!"
"I just hope that the prince has a better name than Herbert..." grumbled Jack and pushed the door open.

The group went to a halt when a giant snail appeared from behind a corner.
"Grimrock all over again..." sighed Sinister as the thing tried to bite Jack who dodged easily and then slashed at the back of it's neck with a knife he found on the floor a while back.
"Little help here?" he called as the thing turned after him.
"I think you're doing great," Sinister quiped, leaning against a wall. Though he did prepare a fireball spell just in case.
"Oh come on!" Jack yelled as he dodged another attempt from the snail and burried the knife hilt deep in the thing's head.
"See, you did just fine," Sinister said when the snail dropped down, dead.
"Yeah, well, if you fried it, it would have been faster," Jack comented.
"But less fun!" laughed Shadow and danced away from Jack who tried to whack him on the head.
"Come on, you knuckleheads, we have an heir to find..." Jack moved on.

"Hum... A presure plate," comented Sinister.
"Shall we test what will happen when we step on it?" Ruk'Ur asked.
"Might as well," Jack decided and walked to stand on it.
As soon as that happened, a wall slid up on the side of the room.
"The Master knew you would come," the skeleton that emerged said.
"Holly shit!" Shouted Jack. "It talks!"
"Let's ignore him while he freaks out," decided Sinister and approached the monster.
"Who or what is the Master?" the mage asked as he dodged an attack, preparing a lightning strike spell.
But the skeleton remained silent after it's initial snetence.
"Wrong decision," remarked the sorcerer and said the final word of the spell out loud.
The lightning strike found it's mark and the skeleton crumpled to the ground, umoving.
"Leave some fun for me too!" whined Shadow who suddenly appeared from who knows where.
Nobody even noticed he dissapeared.
"Where have you been?"
"There was a passage opened on the other side of the room too!" the rogue said proudly and showed them his find.
"Thanks," remarked Sinister as he snatched the plants from his hands and stashed them in a pouch.
"Sure," Shadow grinned and moved to inspect a newly opened grate that led to stairs down.
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Missing Heir - The son of Herbert [Part 2]

"I hate big rooms," Jack decided when something blunt smashed into his back.
"You need to keep an eye on what's going on around you," Shadow piped as he slashed at the herder with his dagger.
"And you need to shut up," decided Jack and cleaved the thing practically in half with his own blade. "And that's for trying to sneak up on me!" he spat and kicked the caracas.
"Calm down..." Siniser laughed as he laid his hand on Jack's arm.
"I am calm. But what the hell gives them the right to sneak on me?" he groused and then was silenced by Sinister kissing him.
"Can you kiss after we find the heir?" Shadow asked.
"Eh... Don't worry about the brat. He's probably fine," said Jack, but turned to continue onward to the back of the room where there was something bluish.
"Ooh! Portals!" whispered Shadow excitably when they could see what it was.
"And you're excited why?" Sinister muttered, but more to himself than anything else. And he got no answer either.

"I've had it with this room!" Screamed Jack in frustration.
They've been at this for at least several hours by now. The area was comprised of small spaces with walls that opened almost on random.
And they've been walking in the maze for so long that they no longer even knew which way was the exit. Which would have been useles anyway as it sealed behind them the moment they stepped through the first opening a rising wall created.
"Just bear with it," Sinister siged. "I'm sure we will find an exit sooner or later."
"I'd rather it be sooner," Jack grumbled, but seeing the tired look on Sinister's face, he decided to cool it for now.
"I am positive that we have been to this spot already," Ruk'Ur declared when they entered another area.
"This is where I got the key!" Shadow realized when he looked around.
"Didn't anyone think of making a map?" Jack asked.
"I've been trying to make sense of this place for a while, but I'm not yet completely sure where we need to go."
"Sin, at this point, anything is better than just blindly going through the openings," Jack said and laid a hand on the mage's shoulder.
"Then I think we need to go that way," Sinister pointed to one of the two openings.
"And now?" Ruk'Ur asked when the wall closed behind them and two more opened.
"Let me thing for a bit," Sinister said and closed his eyes.
The others were silent. For all of two seconds before Shadow started talking. Even if it was in whispered.
"Think we will ever get out of this maze?" he asked.
"I sure hope so," Jack answered.
"I believe-" but before Ruk'Ur could finish, Sinister's eyes snaped open.
"This way," he declared and marched through one of the openings.
"How do you know?" Ruk'Ur asked.
"Based on the areas we already went to, this was the best option. Also, based on the walls that never open, this area is limited in space. It's actually rather small, we were just walking in circles," Sinister explained as he marched through another opening and sure enoguh, they could see a portal in front of them.
"Love you," Jack declared and kissed the mage before turning to the portal.
"Shadow, the key," he called when he spied the lock next to the grate blocking the portal.
"On it, boss," the rogue called back and skipped – yes, skipped – to the lock.
The grate slid up and the group went to the teleporter, but before that, Ruk'Ur picked up a small gold key from the corner of the area.

"I don't like all the red light," Shadow decided when they entered the cells area.
"And you're not the only one," Jack answered.
"What are we looking for anyway?" Sinister asked.
"I believe we need one more gold key to move forward and therefore closer to finding the heir," answered Ruk'Ur.
"Then let's move it, people!" ordered Jack and started moving forward.
The others followed right after, Sinister muttering a spell in preparation in case they had to fight.
And good thing he prepared one too, as they ran into a skeleton patrol the moment they turned the corner.
The patrol went to strike at them, but the group managed to evade the attack. Well, mostly. One of the spears left a gash on Shadow's forearm.
Thankfully, it lookes shallow and it didn't seem to faze the rogue.
The guys started to circle the patrol, but before they managed to land a single attack, Sinister's path was free and he let white lightning fly from his palm and three skeletons from the patrol went down, not getting up. The last one was quickly dispatched by Ruk'Ur and his mace.
Funny thing how the stuff they were finding really looked like the things they got from Grimrock prison and also the goodies Jack got from the basement in the wine cellars.
The group was about to move onward, but then Ruk'Ur stopped.
"What kind of spell was that?" he asked, refering to the white lightning.
"I decided to try and experiment a little," Sinister addmited. "It is a spell I've been working on for a while. And I decided to test it out against something better than a training dummy. Works good, but not good enough. Could have dealt with all four of them if I used regular lightning strike, but this one took out only three of them."
"So how exactly is the spell different?" Jack decided to ask. Against his better judgement too!
"I added a bit of ice magic to the lightning," Sinister said, keeping it simple, knowing that Jack had no clue about magic. Most of the time.
"What elements can you use?" Shadow entered the conversation.
"All seven primaries, some better, some not so good," Sinister replied.
"I always believed that there were only five primary elements?" Ruk'Ur querried.
"That is a common misconception," Sinister nodded to the minotaur. "Most people believe that there are only fire, water, earth, air and lightning, but truth is that there is also light and darkness... Hey!" Sinister interrupted himself. "That's it! Light instead of ice, that should work!"
"How do you even get ice out of the elements you listed?" Shadow asked, confused.
"You combine them," Sinister said. "For example, Ice. You get that by fusing water and air, or wind, together. Another possible combination element is a fire that can burn underwater. A combination of fire and water. Then you have the black fire, which is extremely volatile and should only be attempted in the direst of situations. Of course, there are more, but I don't think we have the time for a lesson on magic right now."
"Is there a difference for when you use a single element to a combination of two or more?" Jack asked, deep in thought.
"Yes, to a mage, who is unskilled in combining elements, the cost for casting a spell that uses more than one, is complete exhaustion and if the mage is not strong enough, then possibly death."
"So that's why the ice bolt back in Grimrock knocked you out..." Jack sighed.
Sinister nodded.
"Okay. Just don't do crazy stuff if you know it will knock you out," Jack grumbled.
"I'm not making any promises!" Sinister declared.
"Not even one?" Jack pleaded.
"Depending on what it is," Sinister decided.
"Don't use that black fire thingy," Jask said.
"I won't, unless," Jack groaned at that, but Sinister ignored him.
"I won't, unless the only other option is the death of all of us."
Jack thought it over and then said "I guess I can live with that..."
"Good," Sinister nodded and then started walking forward again.

They had to fight through several more skeleton patrols, but there were not mor eproblems or injuries. Mainly because Sinister reverted back to the regular lightning and therefore managed to fry each patrol before they even started their attack on the group.
Turning another corner, Jack quickly backpedalled as something whizzed by only to clank on the wall.
"Archer?" Sinister guessed.
"Yup," Jack nodded and groaned.
"I hate those!" Shadow whined.
"Just don't get shot this time," Sinister said and started muttering a spell.
It took only a few words for him to formulate it and then he peaked from behind the corner. The skeleton archer was turned away from him, so Sinister stepped into the area and pointed his finger at the monster. With the last word, a highly concentrated lighning shot from his pointer finger and engulfed the archer, turning it into dust.
"Nice work!" cheered Shadow.
"That was light and lightning?" Jack asked.
Sinister nodded.
"And?"
"And what?" Sinister looked at him.
"How're you feeling?"
"Trust me, I'm as surprised as you probably are, but I feel fine," the mage answered.
"Okay then," Jack nodded and went to pick up a gold key that was in an alcove to the side. A place from which the skeleton archer emerged.

"Ack!"
"What?" Sinister called.
"What's the sound?" Shadow called next.
"What did you do, Jack?" Ruk'Ur rumbled in his deep voice.
"Nothing!" Jack shouted back. "Just dropped the key!"
"A wall slid up!" Shadow yelled and bounded to the newely opened area to see what's in there.
"Maybe we should follow," Sinister said. "Or he will get himself killed."
"Yeah..." Jack nodded.

They followed Shadow to the area, but when they turned the corner, they came to a halt, just staring.
"He really is stupid, huh?" Jack remarked.
"Definitely, but I think we wouldn't want him to be any otherway," Sinister laughed, watching Shadow sprawled on the floor, obviously unconscious, with a golden chalice laying nearby.
"Should we wake him up?" Ruk'Ur asked.
"No, let's leave him and explore the area. We will pick him up when we're done," decided Jack.
"Your call..." shrugged Sinister and entered the room.

Inside the room there was an altar with a book that Sinister snaged before anyone else could even move.
"I believe these levers open a passage into some of the cells," Ruk'Ur said, inspecting one of them.
"But do we want to go there?" Jack wondered.
"I think there's no need," decided Sinister. "There wasn't anything interesting in them, I was peeking in from the outside."
"Good," declared Jack. "Then let's go."

And soon, they were past the double locked grate and standing on top of a staircase leading down.
Pizzadude

Post by Pizzadude »

They left Shadow on the upper level. That just shouts trouble. Really liking this story/stories that your making. Really liking it a lot
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Pizzadude wrote:They left Shadow on the upper level. That just shouts trouble. Really liking this story/stories that your making. Really liking it a lot
Ack! It was actually ment that they collected Shadow. But your interpretation of the events is better! I will probably go with that instead of what I ment to do. :D Thanks and I'm glad you like it. :)