Legend of Grimrock ~ A text lp

Show off your Legend of Grimrock art, fiction, music or whatever!
Lackless

Legend of Grimrock ~ A text lp

Post by Lackless »

Hello all!

I've always wanted to do a text-based let's play, but I never found any game that would work for that. Well, I did find some, but I was always lazy to do it. Until yesterday, when my brother bought this game on skype and I could actually play it.

I've been a fan of rougelike games for quite some time, and this one is really a good one, so, I said to myself: "Why not try and do a let's play with this game?" And so I am doing.

First and foremost, I'm sorry for my English xD It's not my native language (not even close! It would be my third language) and it's mostly self-taught, so there may, and will, be errors, maybe in grammar... But I guess I'm good enough with it to do a minimally literary let's play*.

*Even though I'm not sure that's the actual term.

I'm not sure how my let's play will be recieved, but here I am hoping at least someone will read it and put up with my noobish skill in making let's plays xD

And... Last but not least, it's my first let's play. I have little to no experience doing such things (at least in english) so there might be things that I could improve. Constructive criticism is always allowed!

Anyway, let's meet our guinea pigs heroes!

Laszlo Highpeak
  • Laszlo Highpeak, as he calls himself, was born in the slums of a city whose name he cannot remember, son of a prostitute and a petty thief that disappeared weeks after his birth. His life wasn't an easy one. He survived by either begging or stealing from unaware merchants for petty scraps of food. His mother died four years before him coming of age. He suddenly found himself alone in the world without anyone he could call neither friend nor family. The crimes he committed soon became more and more notorious, until the day he actually tried to mug some old lady.

Luckily for that lady, the guards arrived before she had to hand the goods.

The guards threw him into the dungeons for a day and a half and those were the most terrifying days in his whole life. When he got out, he got enrolled in the army, where he spent many a year fighting in skirmishes and minor events, as there was an uneasy peace between the realms at the time he was in the army. He eventually had to retire because of a wound in his right arm that made it very difficult for him to wield a sword properly.

He got some money as a good-bye gift and then they simply kicked him out of the army. He went back to the city and the first thing he do was to get drunk and hit the nearest brothel. And there's how our first prisoner, Laszlo, got to be one of the four damned to be thrown into Mount Grimrock. He simply was in the wrong place at the wrong time, as one of the prostitutes in the brothel had killed a wealthy nobleman for reasons unknown. She fled and accidentally dropped the bloodied knife at Laszlo's feet. When the guards came by a fraction of a second after the woman got out, they immediately arrested him.

But this time they didn't send him to the dungeons.
Garuk Whitemane
  • Garuk Whitemane, son of the chief of the Whitemane Clan, hails from a mountain range from the eastern lands. He was by far the clan's most dangerous warrior, even if not the strongest or the smartest. He was not afraid of his enemies, nor of death itself, and he might as well be one of the most reckless beings in the world.

He knew no fear, this minotaur. He spent day after day training, improving his skill with all sorts of weapons, but he always favored maces.

One night, the enemies of the Whitemane clan since time immemorial, the Shadowhorn claw raided Garuk's village. Not many white-furred minotaurs survived the massacre, but those who did swore to avenge their clan-mates' deaths. That is how Garuk, and another five or six minotaurs, travelled across the realm, not really pillaging whatever village appeared across their paths, but maybe slaughtering someone's livestock if they had been rude to them.

After some years of travelling, livestock murdering and terrorizing townspeople, they found a cave, which they believed to be their enemy clan's hideout. However, it was an ambush. When they entered the aforementioned cave, dozens of spears pointed at them and the men wielding them ordered the minotaurs to surrender. They didn't go down without a fight. Almost half of the minotaurs were killed, a quarter crippled and only the remaining quarter was left alive. Wounded, surely, but alive. The minotaur was accused of hundreds of crimes, almost all of them were true, but some of them were lies. When given the choice between death and Grimrock, he chose Grimrock.
Eleanor "Quickfingers"
  • Eleanor was the fifth of seven brothers and sisters, and lived in a farmstead with the rest of her family. Her life wasn't exciting at all until she had come of age and she was sent to be married to a merchant's son.

Well, she eventually got married and was supposed to be the happy wife, except she didn't. She usually snuck out of her home and ignored her spousal duties, such as taking care of her "beloved" husband, making food or whatnot. She actually got her nickname some years after her husband died, when she was travelling with some hunters, when she explained that she stole her husband's keys just to sneak out of their home and not have to put up with his whims and orders and everything.

I suppose I should explain what happened before she got her nickname: Their marriage was dysfunctional, as neither husband nor wife loved each other. The fights were frequent between them two and got even more frequent, and then the beatings came and then the wife beat her husband after he beat her. Eleanor wasn't the kind of girl to simply endure everything they did to her. Well, eventually there came the day when she ended up killing her husband, partly by accident and partly because she wanted to do it. She took everything that there was of value in her home, be it coins, jewelry, or whatever that looked either shiny or valuable. And she also took her late husband's bow and quiver, which was full of arrows.

She started living as an outlaw for some years, eventually meeting those hunters I mentioned before and living many adventures and a wonderful and exciting life until...well, she got caught, had a trial, and they sent her to Mount Grimrock to let her die in the dungeon.

Except she wasn't actually going to die.
Myosotis
  • Now, Myosotis, as she calls herself, is by far the most mysterious of the quartet. She is an insectoid female, as she has revealed, coming from a forest in the northwestern part of the world.

The reasons she has ended in Mount Grimrock are known only to her, as is most of her life: Neither of the three who came before know if Myosotis is her true name (which most likely isn't, though), or where she came from, or...if it's even a she. For simplicity's sake, I'll speak of Myosotis as a female.

She wandered the world searching for some heirloom that was stolen from her tribe by some folk, following the orders of the grand elder, who chose her for... maybe because of her magical prowess, or because he really wanted her to leave for any reason there might be. As I said before, it's a mystery. What has been revealed about her as of now is that she is able to cast spells, as it is known that insectoids are arcane beings by nature, and that she is able to both read and write, something that the three other prisoners are not able to do.

Her crimes are mostly unknown, but she has been accused of extreme blasphemy and grand felony according to the use of magicks. However, why she ended up being accused of such crimes is, as I mentioned before, unknown. But it is possible that she used foul magicks to find information about the heirloom she had to find.

Whatever it was, she ended up in Mount Grimrock, as all three before her.

Index
Last edited by Lackless on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lackless

Re: Legend of Grimrock ~ A text lp

Post by Lackless »

PROLOGUE

One could hear a woman sobbing. It was a young, red-haired woman, chained by both hand and feet, that hid her face with her hands, maybe searching for some protection, or maybe simply out of shame. She was about to die, she thought, as the ship slowly ascended towards the peak of the grand Mount Grimrock, grave to many criminals and outlaws. She was both of them.

She was sitting beside an humanoid covered in a pink plate-like exoskeleton that covered the humanoid's whole body. It was revealed to be a female, both by the colour of her exoskeleton and because she said that she was one. She had an elongated neck and a small skull, similar to the ones flies had. Her eyes were the same as the eyes of a dragonfly, and many of the features of her body seemed to make it apparent that she might have descended from these creatues, but the fact that she didn't have wings, as they were clipped to prevent her from escaping. She was chained too, but one could never be to careful.

In the opposite bench there was a bearded man with many scars in his arms and his face. He had a menacing visage, and a calm pose. He might have accepted the idea that he was going to Mount Grimrock, the woman thought. She also thought that he was stupid for not worrying about his life, because, truly, she was expecting all of them to die. Beside him, chained with twice as many chains the others had, sat an humongous white-furred minotaur, standing eight feet tall, with a very developed musculature. He also had an angry look in his face. Well, not really angry, but maybe mildly annoyed. What was he going to do? Was he actually going to try and kill the guards?

One of the guards took out a parchment and unrolled it. It was a windy night, and the prisoners wore nothing but rags, and the guards, under their steel armors, were most likely clad in warm textiles and furs. He started reading each and every crime each of the prisoners was accused of.

Laszlo Highpeak was accused of the murderer of Marcus Velvetfield, an important and influent nobleman from the city of Cyria.

Garuk Whitemane was accused of the murder of thousand of farm animals, some peasants, vandalism and terrorizing everyone wherever he went.

The red-haired lady, Eleanor, known as "Quickfingers", was accused of murderer and running from the law for many a year. Which was true, really.

Finally, Myosotis was accused of extreme blasphemy, for reasons unknown, and grand felony in the use of magick to one's own good. No one knew if these accusations were true, though, not even the guards. One could bet that not even the insectoid herself knew that.

The guard rolled the parchment again and left. An old man, dressed as a priest, came to the group accompanied by a guard. He said some prayers, asking for mercy for the prisoners to one and a hundred gods, both old and new, both known and forgotten. He solemnly ended his speech with the words "May the gods be ever watchful of your souls", before he left as well.

Screams were heard as they fell, and their echo persisted for some seconds. Only when everything was silent again the guards left, heading back to the airship.

Komag

Post by Komag »

Well done so far! Nice to have a new bit of fiction :) Your English is pretty good I think, only small minor errors, but mostly just right :D
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Very creative and entertaining so far!
pastevez

Post by pastevez »

the first time a play this game its a little boring in the beginning but later on it so much fun and yes its very creative .... :D :D

Last edited by pastevez on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potawan

Post by Potawan »

It's really good, I found it very entertaining and interesting. This game is a weapon of mass inspiration :lol: Thank you, I hope to continue enjoying your art ;)

Saludos!