Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

Show off your Legend of Grimrock art, fiction, music or whatever!
AnnElfwind

Re: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

Post by AnnElfwind »

And now I'm up to date again. Haven't played Grimrock in a while, but an update to the best LoG fanfic will NOT slip past me!
Wonder if anything will happen to the two girls who ate the human flesh. It would be interesting if they started to turn into ghouls or something.
And I still can't wait for the two parties to meet. Though on the other hand, I wouldn't want you to rush it if it meant that the story would suffer for it.
Okay, I'm gonna wait for the next chapter and see what will happen. Even if it is another year. :D Sometimes a story just grabs and won't let go and this is the case.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

AnnElfwind wrote:And now I'm up to date again. Haven't played Grimrock in a while, but an update to the best LoG fanfic will NOT slip past me! Wonder if anything will happen to the two girls who ate the human flesh. It would be interesting if they started to turn into ghouls or something. And I still can't wait for the two parties to meet. Though on the other hand, I wouldn't want you to rush it if it meant that the story would suffer for it. Okay, I'm gonna wait for the next chapter and see what will happen. Even if it is another year. :D Sometimes a story just grabs and won't let go and this is the case.
I've not played in a very, very, very, very long time. But I was feeling like visiting this again. I can't even remember where I got stuck on LOG2. The legend that Sir Karin mentions about eating human flesh is a reference to Wendigo lore. I don't know if I will do something with it, but I thought, mentioning a similar lore in the story, might be a fun thing to possibly do. I like leaving doors open, because as I do this, I never have an idea where I am going with this, each time I add to this. I hope to come back and do this on a more regular basis again (job has some free time now, at the moment, so that I can return and do these, since I typically wrote these when I had a free moment at work to challenge myself to write something in 15 minutes).

The two different groups are definitely going to meet. When you (was it?) that mentioned a second group on the island - I knew they'd eventually meet. The how... when... and what happens as a result... I have no idea. But I have a feeling, when it does happen, it will be quite enjoyable for me to write, since I really feel like each of these characters really has developed their own voice and personality.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

What's this? Is this like another addition, back to back? (I think so? Maybe I missed a day!) I actually loaded up LOGII and realized I was in the hell of Keelbreach Bog... and was stuck at that teleporter... Realized I don't need to run through it - but just run far enough in to throw a rock... My save game at that spot was called something like "#@$&^@&^&@" - so I was clearly frustrated... lol... So that's where I put Tawmis & Crew... and Sir Karin and his group - well, read on to see what's happened there... also, all the characters, stories, maps and everything can be found on... http://www.tawmis.com/grimrock

Tawmis covered his nose. “What is that awful odor?”

Coy looked behind him, leading the others, and answered, “They call it Keelbreach Bog.”

A green mist rose from the ground, like emerald embers, getting into their eyes, nose and mouth. Coy continued to explain, “About sixty turns of the season, a pack of Forest Ogres got in in their head to block the rivers to stop the troublesome Zarchton… well, they did too good of a job. The waters here backed up and flooded the lands, creating this bog. The waters became extremely stagnant and toxic, so now only nuisances live here… though their life spans are typically quite short. Even the Forest Ogres that started this died off, killed by the very waters they sought to block off, because of its toxicity. Ironic, no?”

“Sure,” Tawmis muttered, “ironic. Just where are you taking us?”

“We need to get to the castle if we have any hope of escaping this island,” Coy replied. He looked over his shoulder, his rat like nose twitching as his lips formed – for a Ratling – what was a smile. “That is still the plan, right? Get off the island.”

“Of course it is,” Tawmis muttered. He looked over at Taren and rolled his eyes, gesturing at Coy.

“We are fortunate,” Taren’s booming voice said, “that Coy is from this island and knows the ins and outs of it.”

Blaz’tik was moving slowly behind them, picking an abundance of odorous mushrooms and shoving them into his pouches as spell components. “I suppose that -tic!- is a benefit that my kind -tic!- do not really use smells the same as -tic!- you.”

Coy cut away and some vines and revealed several arches where beams of light passed through in a forward motion; repeating itself.

“What… is that?” Tawmis asked.

Blaz’tik smirked. “I -tic!- recognize the magic signature -tic!- … It’s displacement… probably a teleporter…”

“This is new,” Coy admitted. “Well, new as in, it wasn’t here twenty years ago,” he shrugged. He looked at the others, “So… who is going first?”

Elsewhere on the island…

Sir Karin leaned on his sword for balance, retching the berries from his gut. Alissa lingered close by, covering her mouth. “The odor is strong,” she admitted, “but it’s also because you have not eaten any of the meat. Stonebreaker has more in his bags. You should eat some. It will help you regain your strength.”

Sir Karin stood proudly, his face bleached white from illness, his arms and legs wavering beneath the weight of his own body. “I am fine,” he finally managed to said, though his voice was barely audible.

Jorale had covered her mouth from the odor emanating from the bog just ahead of them. She admired how Stonebreaker seemed unaffected. “How does this odor of this bog not bother you?”

Sir Karin, had he the strength and wit he normally possessed, would have remarked that Stonebreaker probably was used to the smell, because this was how his people smell all the time. Instead, Sir Karin pulled his sword out of the mud and took an uncertain step forward.

Stonebreaker turned to Jorale, “Because I have lived my life on the battle field. I have smelled the scent of the dead and dying, lying on a battle field for weeks on end. This smell is scarcely any different. Suddenly Stonebreaker stiffened and raised his hand. “Hold.”

He kneeled, touching the mud.

“Someone has been here recently,” Stonebreaker pointed to several prints in the mud. “By the looks of it – a large rat…”

“Ratling,” Jorale corrected. “Nothampton is full of them in the docks. A lot of sailors use them for minimal work and give them rotting food as payment.”

Stonebreaker nodded, “Think I saw one of them aboard the ship you enslaved me to,” the large barbarian eyed Jorale, who did not flinch under the barbarian’s stare. He added, “By the looks of it, he was also with a human, and a minotaur – a big one, by the depth of that print – and an insectoid.”

“Do you think they’re survivors of the shipwreck also?” Alissa asked, leaning over.

“Good chance,” Stonebreaker admitted. “But knowing the type of people she enslaved on the ship,” the large barbarian said, “they may or may not be friendly.”

Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Oooh! I smell a meeting soon. :D
So. Toxic waters. Is anyone of them immune to the water's toxicity? Maybe Blaz'tic? If I remember the maps correctly, one of the essences is underwater. If they end up having to collect them, it would be a shame if none of them could go into the water for the submerged essence. Or maybe I'm remembering it all wrong and it was submerged in one of the modded maps. Maybe the unofficial expansion map that completely reworks the original and adds areas...
Of course, if your plan was for one of them to kick the bucket while getting the essence, then the water toxicity is necessary.
Anyway. I'm now really looking forward to whatever you're planning with the essences. :)

Also, I just had a crazy idea. If you discount the true ending (after balance essence), and leave after defeating the Lindworm, it could almost be as if the LoG2 was taking place BEFORE LoG1. In the first ending, they leave in an airship. So who's to say it's not the exact same ship that takes the four prisoners into Mount Grimrock? :D
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

AnnElfwind wrote: Oooh! I smell a meeting soon. :D
Yeah. It feels like it's going to happen sooner than later. Seems like an interesting dynamic to do (not sure what will come of the meeting) - but it adds something besides, "Monster X fights the party."

Since the story clearly is based on Legend of Grimrock II, but I have taken a lot of liberties for the sake of story telling.
AnnElfwind wrote: So. Toxic waters. Is anyone of them immune to the water's toxicity? Maybe Blaz'tic? If I remember the maps correctly, one of the essences is underwater. If they end up having to collect them, it would be a shame if none of them could go into the water for the submerged essence. Or maybe I'm remembering it all wrong and it was submerged in one of the modded maps. Maybe the unofficial expansion map that completely reworks the original and adds areas...
Well, the power gem, if that's what you mean in that area - is above ground. If there's an essence (Water and Earth are the only two in the game I've not found yet, but have not explored all of the LOGII areas, so it could be anywhere) - I am not sure where the other two are. (I think, based on the faces, there's even a fifth "element"...)
AnnElfwind wrote: Of course, if your plan was for one of them to kick the bucket while getting the essence, then the water toxicity is necessary.
Anyway. I'm now really looking forward to whatever you're planning with the essences. :)
I don't think I have written in any of the Essences (Earth, Fire, Water, Air, and whatever the 5th one is?) yet... I should probably do that and, once again, take some liberties with the story (since I can't even remember where I got the other two essences, because it's been so long since I had played)...
AnnElfwind wrote: Also, I just had a crazy idea. If you discount the true ending (after balance essence), and leave after defeating the Lindworm, it could almost be as if the LoG2 was taking place BEFORE LoG1. In the first ending, they leave in an airship. So who's to say it's not the exact same ship that takes the four prisoners into Mount Grimrock? :D
That would have been cool - but in the story, there's already mention of LOGI... the explosion that sending them flying out of Grimrock, and renders them unconscious (and killing the lizard, Silvertan), which led to them being dragged onto the slaveship An Elf Wind, which is the ship that wrecks when it approaches the island...
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Well, the earth essence might have been submerged in a mod. Not sure. I just know there's a mod that has a bog area that is way too similar to the original map's bog.
And yes, there is a fifth essence. It's the essence of balance. And without it, you can't unlock the real ending. :)
Pizzadude

Post by Pizzadude »

Good to see more of this, was wondering if this would ever be continued. Thanks for sticking to it though
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Pizzadude wrote:Good to see more of this, was wondering if this would ever be continued. Thanks for sticking to it though
Hey Pizzadude! I definitely plan on seeing this through the end. I typically do the writing at work, when I go on break (so I just challenge myself to come up with a segment... Work, these last few weeks (between traveling to India, and now bring some stuff back in house) - has been very chaotic the last couple of weeks. But when things calm down - I hope to get back into writing this fairly regularly (ideally, at least ONCE a week). I even cracked open LOG2 to resume my gaming there... (and I haven't gotten far there)... so the story may diverge like the original one did, from how the game actually goes...
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

NOTE: Had a creative itch... but couldn't get anything down for my novel I am working on... so I launched LOG2... played a little, inspired me to come back here and begin writing this... I realized, looking at my oldest save game, that LOG2 has been out for three years and I've still not finished the game... But in the meantime, a new segment! In this one, I took the lore of the Lindworm (from the actual base of the lore) - and applied it to the Legend of Grimrock story, with my own twist... Hope you enjoy!

Tawmis placed his hands on his knees and buckled over, retching. The jaunt through the teleporter had made him feel as if each of those six stops was done at neck breaking speeds. After being certain there wasn’t anything else in his stomach to violently dispatch, he tried to stand tall, his head swaying like wheat blowing in a gentle breeze, and forced a smile. “It’s totally safe,” he gurgled before something else decided to find its way out of his stomach.

After the others had passed through the jaunting teleporter, Tawmis looked over at Coy. “You mentioned that we need to get to the castle on this island. How is that going to help us get off the island?”

“The Master of the Island has a large mirror there,” Coy explained. “With it, he can think of any place, and travel through the mirror to that location. It’s going to be the best way off of this cursed island.”

“Well, I don’t think this ‘Master’ you keep talking about is just going to let us use this magical mirror of his,” Tawmis muttered, “as I am pretty sure he’s the one who wrecked the slaver ship on his island in the first place, and turned Captain Bairon to stone using one of his Medusa… So does this ‘Master’ have a name?”

“We’ve always known him as the Master – but he is not alone. He has a brother – known as the Lindworm,” Coy shrugged. “As it turns out, this place wasn’t always… evil. He’s been driven mad by the curse, brought on by the greed of his mother, the once and former Queen of Nex and it’s his madness,” Coy gestured around him, “that’s also changed the island…”

“What curse do you –tic!- speak of?” Blaz’tik asked, curious if it involved magic.

“The story goes, over one hundred years ago, the King and Queen of Nex longed for a child. But despite their efforts, the Queen seemed to be barren. One day, the Queen had walked out into her garden and encountered a sorceress there, who said she had heard of the Queen’s woes and had come to help her. She pulled a ‘seed’ from her pouch that was as large as a young infant, and told the Queen to plant the seed and water it for two days. On the third day, two flowers would spring; a red and a white flower. The Queen must eat one of the flowers – red, and she would bare a son; white, she would bare a princess. But – she was not to eat both. Doing so would have dire consequences,” Coy began explaining, as sat down, to try and recall the story as he had heard it, passed down through generations of Ratlings bound to the Isle of Nex.

“Well,” he heaved a deep sigh, “I suppose you can guess what happened next. The Queen, buried the large seed, watered it and spoke to it affectionately for two days, and as the sorceress had promised, on the third day, two roses sprung from the seed; a white and red flower. The Queen was desperate. She wanted to give her loving husband, the King, an heir to the throne. But, she was fearful that this would be the only way to have a child, and she had wanted a young daughter of her own, to raise, and share those things that were hers, to pass down. It wasn’t fair, the Queen had told herself that only my husband should have an heir to pass down his things. So the Queen devoured both flowers. Several months later, she was pregnant. The King was unaware of the dealings that the Queen had made he only knew that at long last, the curse of her barren womb was finally at an end. However, in the delivery room – something tragic happened, as the sorceress had predicted. Slithering from the Queen’s womb came a Lindworm – a young dragon.”

“You mean to tell me you expect me to believe that a young dragon came out of a mother’s womb and she survived the experience?” Tawmis asked in disbelief.

“You once had your mind, literally, and magically, ripped open by The Mages of Des, and you survived the experience,” Taren reminded him.

“Yeah, but that’s different… they used magic to keep me alive through that whole process,” Tawmis muttered.

“And it was magic,” Coy added, “that kept the Queen alive; for she was to survive and see the curse of her greed and what it would bring down upon her family. The Lindworm slithered away, no bigger than a serpent, uncared for and unloved. But after the serpent’s birth, came a normal son – the one, we all know as The Master.”

“The Lindworm was not seen again, for eighteen years,” Coy continued the story, “until it came to find the Master a young princess to marry, and be his future Queen. The Master rode out to seek a woman, but the Lindworm appeared and demanded that the princess be his, as he is he elder brother. The Queen, broken, explained what had happened to the King. And so the first princess found, was given to the Lindworm who devoured her. So the Master rode out again, seeking another princess – but the Lindworm appeared again, and demanded the princess be his – and again, it devoured her. This happened until there were no more suitable princesses on the Isle of Nex, and the King was forced to seek out a young princess for his son, beyond the Isle of Nex – but the Lindworm had grown strong and powerful – and gained wings. It would destroy approaching ships with a suitable princess, and keep the princess – and devour her. Soon, none wanted anything to do with the Isle of Nex. The King and Queen died – but not before seeing the people of their kingdom become the food for the Lindworm, with no way to escape the Isle – and the lands fell to ruin and darkness. When the King and Queen died, the Lindworm returned to the castle – and it whispered things to the Master… the two became bonded, and the Isle fell into its greatest darkness. The Master was said to be one of the most beautiful humans in all of the world – and the Lindworm wanted his beauty. So the Lindworm used its own magic to twist the Master, and make him forgo everything in hopes of finding a way to restore the Lindworm into a human form. Now the Master has created these magic traps and teleporters and the like – all in the hopes of restoring his elder brother… so we must be weary… for the Master is a trickster… and what looks one way, may not be what it truly is.”

There was a long pause, before it was Tawmis who broke the silence. “So what you’re telling me is… not only do we have to deal with a crazy, magic wielding ‘Master’… but his older brother who is a dragon of some kind?”

“A Lindworm,” Coy corrected, “but yes. Essentially.”

“Wonderful,” Tawmis muttered.

Elsewhere on the island…

“The air down here is rancid,” Sir Karin choked. A thick, green, hazy, mist, full of pollen that was impossible not to breathe, inhale, and attached to the inside of their mouths and throats, that caused the very liquid from inside them, to seemingly dry upon contact.

“It’s Herdlings,” Jorale said, being familiar with Herdlings. They were often killed and dissected to be used for various potions – and more often than not – poisonous components. “There must be a den of them somewhere around here.”

“What are Herdlings?” Alissa asked, though a strong woman in her own right; she, as the Daughter to the king of the Malanian Empire, was not allowed to explore beyond the castle walls of her home, until she had used guilt to force her father to learn magic – but that voyage had been cut short when she and Sir Karin were abducted by the Serpents of Harbardar, then dragged onto the Elfin Wind slaver ship, that had now crashed on the Isle of Nex.

“Herdlings,” Jorale she began, then paused. “Imagine, if you will, if fungus and mushrooms had gained sentient life, and could walk around and act like you and I – except, they’re brainless. They’re still plants… but they’re aggressive. Larger ones are called Herders. And if there’s a Herder-Spore present, then… we’re going to run into a lot of them.”

Stonebreaker smiled, “You said they’re aggressive?”

“Very,” Jorale nodded. “And because they’re absolutely brainless, they keep attacking in waves, and never run. It’s do or die, every time with them.”

“I almost admire them,” Stonebreaker chuckled, then coughed as he inhaled some of the pollen. “If it wasn’t for the fact that they make it difficult for me to breathe.”

“What’s with the fences and everything around here?” Sir Karin asked. “If they’re so mindless… it doesn’t seem like they would be the ones that built this?”

“Depends on what you believe,” Jorale explained. “There’s a lot of different stories about the Isle of Nex. They say, once long ago, this was a prosperous kingdom – and the Queen, in a moment of greed, cursed herself, her land and her kingdom. By the looks of it – this area was probably the stables near the garden. The cursed garden probably spawned the Herdlings – and the Herdlings, without anyone to bother them – have spread their spores and taken it over.”

“This pollen that we’re breathing is safe, yes?” Sir Karin asked.

“What do you mean?” Jorale asked, turning to the Knight of Malanian Empire.

“I mean, inhaling it – we’re not going to turn into mindless plants, controlled by the Herdlings?” Sir Karin asked.

Jorale raised an eye brow. “I … had not considered that… all the Herdlings and Herders I always dealt with were dead… and come to think of it, those that hunted Herdlings and Herders for their… internal value… always came back with fewer people than they left with…”

Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

A moment of free time, randomly... led to this small bit...

Coy lead them further through the swampy area until they reached a cave with stairs forged in mud. An all too familiar odor drifted from the cave beyond. "I know that smell," Taren growled.

"Me too," Tawmis nodded. "Herders."

Coy looked back, "And many of them," he added with a twitch of his nose and whiskers. "The Master of the Isle used them for farming, before the Ogres ruined the land with their flooding. Once the flooding happened, the Master lost control of the Herders, which then took sanctuary in this cave... and have since... taken it over... as a result... have become... extremely aggressive."

"Familiar with that," Taren muttered. "The last time we ran into herders, as prisoners at Mount Grimrock... they were less than welcoming." This brought the memory of Silvertan to Taren's mind. It had been Silvertan who told them about Herders the first time they had encountered them in Grimrock. This reminded Taren how Silvertan had given his own life, by diving in front of the Warden's flail as he had tried to strike Tawmis down, crushing Silvertan's spine. Taren clenched his axe tighter. Silvertan had died for Taren's best friend. It should have been Taren who died, to fulfill his blood debt to Tawmis. "If there's herders down there, like it smells like there are, they will fall before my axe," Taren growled, his teeth clenched tightly.

Coy paused suddenly and pointed at the ground. "Someone has been here... before us."

"You said there's been prisoners on this island," Tawmis said. "Could it be one of them?"

Coy turned his head, "Not likely. The prisoners usually do not last long. These are new prints."

"Could it be -tic- survivors of the ship crash?" Blaz'tik asked.

"Other survivors?" Tawmis turned to Coy, then to Blaz'tik. "I suppose it could be. Stands to reason someone else would have survived that cursed ship crashing into the island."

Coy examined the prints, "One, a man... heavy armor, by the depression left if the mud... one a moment... faint... light... another woman... also, faint like... robes too, because there's drag marks in the mud... and another male, by the size of the print... heavy... but primitive attire by the foot prints... not armored like the first."

A primative hammer nearly crushed Coy's skull, but the humanoid rodent moved quickly out of the way when his ears picked up the sound of the wind. Suddenly a large, elderly human, who - despite his age - still posed as a threat - stood before them. "Who are you," the barbarian boomed.

"Wait," Tawmis yelled. "You," he pointed to the barbarian. "Stonebreaker, was it?"

The barbarian paused. "How do you know my name?"

"We were slaves on that ship," Tawmis explained, "as were you."

"So you were," a female's voice crept from the darkness behind the barbarian.

"You!" Taren now lunged forward, but the barbarian stood in front of the minotaur threateningly. Only the North Men were brave enough - or foolish enough - to challenge a minotaur.

"Wait, my friend," Tawmis said, placing his hand on the minotaur's shoulder. "Why do you defend the slaver, barbarian? When she is the one that captured you and some of your people, and caged you, to be sold off as gladiator entertainment?"

"Because, if we hope to survive, we must remain together, despite my hatred of this woman," Stonebreaker replied.

Sir Karin and Lady Alissa stepped forward and introduced themselves, explaining that they were not slavers; but they had paid for passage aboard the cursed ship.

"So," Tawmis looked around, "now there's eight of us. I'd say we have a better chance against this Master of the Isle and this Lindworm thing."

"Lindworm?" Stonebreaker asked. "There is a Lindworm on this isle?"

"Yes," Coy nodded. "Tied by blood to the Master. Why?"

"My vision, when I was young, showed I would die fighting a Lindworm."