Official Legend of Grimrock character portrait background

Show off your Legend of Grimrock art, fiction, music or whatever!
spacecookie

Re: Official Legend of Grimrock character portrait backgroun

Post by spacecookie »

So I have a question.

I was going to make character portraits for LoG, but having noticed the sheer volume of ones provided by other people, made me kind of feel that extra was too much. I saw all the portraits already provided here, and I seriously wonder how many original artists were asked for their permission to do this?

I know no money is being made, but it's more a question of being polite, and that the original work still belongs to the creator, or in some instances the company they were commissioned by, or work for, so without permission it's all broken copywrite. So how does Almost human view this subject, especially as you guys are so aware of your own properties?
amberkilloran

Re: Official Legend of Grimrock character portrait backgroun

Post by amberkilloran »

spacecookie wrote:So I have a question.

I was going to make character portraits for LoG, but having noticed the sheer volume of ones provided by other people, made me kind of feel that extra was too much. I saw all the portraits already provided here, and I seriously wonder how many original artists were asked for their permission to do this?

I know no money is being made, but it's more a question of being polite, and that the original work still belongs to the creator, or in some instances the company they were commissioned by, or work for, so without permission it's all broken copywrite. So how does Almost human view this subject, especially as you guys are so aware of your own properties?
So, I took a little time to look into this and as far as I can tell, this usage falls under Fair Use in that it is sufficiently transformative and adds value to the image, all the while not attempting to divert profit from a published image. Most of my substantive information that I used can be found here. The publication is written by Georgia K. Harper, the Scholarly Communications Advisor for the University of Texas. Her biography and qualifications may be found here.

(Please note that I am neither a lawyer nor a law student, so this is simply based upon my own understanding of information provided by someone who is.)