Attempting to re-create legend of grimrock in 5th edition d&

Show off your Legend of Grimrock art, fiction, music or whatever!
Baylith

Attempting to re-create legend of grimrock in 5th edition d&

Post by Baylith »

Hi there, im new to this fourm, and i found out something interesting.
I have not seen anyone create a module for grimrock mountain or the island of grimrock 2, on any fourm that shows up when i search for legend of grimrock and d&d.
Mostly just fourm talk about how to get through the puzzles.
So, for anyone that is so inclined, i would request help in designing this module, in order to make it loyal to the source material.
And for this purpose, i want to make it a 5th edition module, for the reason that 5th edition doesn't have a need for magical items, which means finding the "proper" equipment won't be needed, not that i couldnt make it possible, it just isnt critical. In addition, the attack style in 5th edition is that you can move attack and move,helping keep part of the heart of the combat of grimlock in the game, and thats something i would greatly enjoy presenting to any players of the module.
For the first thing, i would assume that to be the layout of the floors with item locations and monster counts.
I do think this will be a fun project, and honestly, my group has been very murder hobo-y recently, so a slog through grimrock may be exactly what they want.
Baylith

Re: Attempting to re-create legend of grimrock in 5th editio

Post by Baylith »

alright, so, level one. I assume the party is going to be level 1-5 for the start here, and so their resources won't be super deep, meaning they have to rely on the dungeon for most equipment.
Baylith

Post by Baylith »

1 - Arrival

You'll begin your journey in near-total darkness, and completely unarmed and unsupplied. Don't fret, the first level of the dungeon will provide you with what you need to keep going. Take a moment to move around the room and learn the controls before you proceed.

At the north end of the room, you'll find a locked door. Inspect the text on the east wall nearby for a clue on how to open it - pick up the torch. Simply remove it from its bracket on the wall to open the door, and give it to a character in your party for a (temporary) portable light source.

okay then, pretty much I can take that and say it as it is, though I will need the line.
"choose your fate. perish in the cell, or pick up the torch"
2 - Secret

Search the southwest wall of this room for a hidden switch (a small, loose piece of brick). Press it to open a hidden chamber to your south, which contains the Lurker Boots and a Shuriken.

alright, so, perception/investigation check here I"d say, since I"ll have a magical wearable behind this wall to represent the lurker boots. and a throwing star is fine, . Dc would be fair at a 15, since this is still meant to be early levels, the bonus to the check won't be high, so I can't push it up to avoid some easy finding.

3 - Gate

Use the hanging pull-chain next to this door to open it.

it's a door.
4 - Hallway & Supplies

There are a few things of interest in this hallway. First, search the floor of the nook to the north for your first armor - a Peasant's Breeches and Peasant's Tunic. Second, there's an alcove in the east wall, where you'll find your first weapon, a Cudgel. The door can be opened by pulling the switch on the wall nearby.

alright, some basic stuff here, since we would be playing with a 4 person group, I"d say that the tunic and breeches should be 2 sets of light armor type armors, like, a padded and a leather. the cudgel can be a cudgel

5 - Gate & Puzzle

In this hallway, you'll find your first true puzzle. The switch on the floor will open the gate ahead, but as soon as you step off, the gate will close. How to solve this problem? Simple - pick up any object, either from your inventory or the environment, drop it on the switch to hold it down. There's a Rock on the floor for just this purpose, although you may want to hold onto it for much later in the game, and use a Torch instead.

pressure plate on the floor, and some rocks in the corner, should be simple enough for people to figure it out.

6 - Locked Door

Another locked door, but this one requires a key to open. Search the south nook just near the previous door (7) to find the Brass Key needed. When you've got it, simply select the key in your inventory and use it with the door to unlock it.

easy enough

7 - Brass Key

Search this alcove for a Brass Key, which you can use to unlock the door at (6).

spot for a key, pretty simple
8 - Locked Gate

This gate is locked tight. Take note of the keyhole on the wall nearby - not all doors have locks directly on them. The Iron Key needed to open the gate can be found at (9).

9 - Secret Room & Iron Key

This hall looks like a dead end - but it's not. As the runic text on the wall informs you, you need to look for a "loose rock." Search the wall carefully and look for a small piece of brick that stands out, and click it to open a secret chamber containing the Iron Key needed to pass the gate at (8).

loose rock clue for searching, I"ll lower the DC on this one to 12, since they know to be looking for a hidden switch.
10 - Supplies & Giant Snail

In this room, you'll encounter your first enemy, a Giant Snail. Don't worry, these guys are pushovers, despite their ugliness. Right-click your party members' weapon icons (or bare fists) to attack the Giant Snail, and it'll go down with a few good hits. It's slow, so you should also be able to avoid taking too much damage by circling around it. The Giant Snail might also drop a Snail Slice, your first (and quite filling) food item. Yummy! Be sure to save it for later, when your party is actually hungry.

When the Giant Snail is dead, search the room's floor for use useful items - Leather Pants, Leather Boots and a Knife.

okay, first baddy, giant snail. for a level 1 party. no sweat. but it'd be a joke to place this in front of a level 4-5 party and expect it to have anything happen save it getting 1 shot. I"d suggest for the "higher level" party, they face a Giant Scorpion. for the snail, I"d say equal to a giant sea horse, just adjusted for land.
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Mon ... ea%20Horse
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Mon ... 20Scorpion

two sets of leather armor, and a knife, sounds right.
11 - Gate

Use the switch on the nearby wall to open this gate.

12 - Throwing Knife

The alcove in this wall holds your first Throwing weapon, a Throwing Knife. Note that ranged weapons, except for Bombs, can be retrieved after being used (although you'll have to kill the enemy you've attacked first). Be sure not to lose them!

I"d put more than one knife here, just in case more than one person wants to have a knife to throw. like, set of 3.
13 - Locked Door & Giant Snails

This door is shut, and you'll need a key to open it. A couple more Giant Snails guard the area, so be ready for a fight. Try to take them on one at a time to avoid getting cornered. To open the door, you'll need the Iron Key obtained at (15).

14 - Supplies

This room is stocked with supplies, although you'll likely have to fight a couple Giant Snails to get them. Search the floor for a Baked Maggot (another food item), a Rock, some Sandals, and a Loincloth.

well, I"d do the same as before, just having a couple of them instead of just one.
the equipment gets wonky here. for now I"d say 3 rolls on equipment table.
15 - Pit Puzzle & Iron Key

Another puzzle awaits you past the gate here (pull the chain to open it). You'll see a pit in front of you with a floor switch on the other side, and the runic text on the wall hints that "something needs to fly" to bridge the gap. Simply take a Rock or other item and throw it (either by using it as a weapon or dropping it on the upper portion of the screen), and it will land on the floor switch, closing the pit up. Walk across and grab the Iron Key from the alcove, which you'll need for the door at (13). Don't worry if you fall down the pit - you'll end up in an enclosed room a floor below, but a teleporter will take you back up.

this should be another easy one.
16 - Supplies

Check the end of this hallway for a Rock and some Pitroot Bread (food).

equipment roll
17 - Locked Door & Blind Statue

At the end of this room you'll spot a demon-like face sticking out of the wall, with a locked door nearby. Check the wall to find the message "heal my sight", which is a useful clue on how to proceed. You'll need the two Blue Gems found at (18) and (21) to solve the puzzle.

Once you have the Blue Gems, take them from your inventory and drop them into the statue's eye sockets. The door will slide right open, revealing a new enemy, the fearsome Skeleton Warrior! The Skeleton Warrior is heavily-armored and does more damage than any other enemy you've faced, but your party, now better-equipped, should be able to put up a good fight. Note that the Fireburst spell found at (23) can help quite a bit. When it's dead (er, re-dead?), be sure to grab the Legionary Spear and Shield it drops - the Shield will keep your front-line Fighter alive, and the Spear can be given to a party member in the back row of your formation.

ah, good ol skellys.
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Mon ... h-Skeleton
18 - North Chamber & Blue Gem #1

In this northern chamber, you'll come across a new enemy type, Herders. Herders are basically giant mushroom creatures. They're a bit faster and hardier than Giant Snails, but still not a terrible threat. However, you will have to fight off four of them in this room, so keep on guard. Note that they may drop a new food item, Herder Caps.

When the Herders are dead, turn your attention to the Blue Gem in the small prison cell. To open the gate, use the lever on the wall at the north end of the room (19). Grab the Blue Gem from the floor, and take note of a wall switch inside - pressing it opens a secret room at (20).

Before you leave, inspect the floor around this area for a couple new items - two Grim Caps (food), and a Tar Bead, a plant used to create potions.

herders...myconids.
page 232. I"d use adults for the lower party, and adults plus a sovereign for the high end.
the potion materials. I"ll come back to that. most likely the party will have a cleric, unless they are disallowed, in which case, I will most likely remove them entirely.
19 - Lever

Pull this lever to open the gate at (18).

20 - Secret Room

Inside the Blue Gem's cell at (18), you'll find an obvious switch on the wall. Press it to open the wall at the north end of the area. Inside, there's a Dagger, Tar Bead and two Cave Nettle plants waiting for you.

since it's a secret room, I think some potions would be fair here.
21 - South Chamber & Blue Gem #2

To the south, you'll find another area to explore. To reach it, use the lever on the entry hall's wall to seal up the floor pit (the pit will take you down to Level 2, where you'll fight a Giant Snail and can collect a Rock and Peasant's Cap, but the gate prevents you from exploring further). The South Chamber is littered with Giant Snails, so take them out one-by-one.

Past the gate at the south end, you'll find the second Blue Gem on the floor, guarded by another Giant Snail. Destroy it and grab the Gem.

Leaving this room is itself a puzzle, you might notice, as stepping on the switch causes the gate to close. How to open it? There's actually two ways. You might notice a hidden switch on the wall, which will open the door - you can hold the floor switch down with an item (even the Blue Gem), then press the button on the wall and step through the gate (you can grab the item you left on the floor as you leave). The second way involves dropping an item on the floor switch on the other side of the gate, through its bars, while standing on the one on your side.
as before, snails or scorps.

22 - Supplies & Scroll of Fireburst

This small chamber contains some useful supplies - a Tattered Cloak, another Loincloth, a Rock, and, the alcove, a Scroll of Fireburst. This Fireburst spell requires a Mage party member to cast, and, using the rune shown in the scroll, will deal a substantial amount of damage to any enemy directly in front of you. Not bad!
some equipment rolls, and that scroll, lets leave it as a scroll of a first level spell. any wizard would enjoy getting another spell to add to their book, since in D&D most of the time, doesn't let you magically get new spells whenever they figure them out.

23 - Iron Door

You'll soon come across an imposing-looking Iron Door. These Iron Doors are a little bit special - there are ten of them in the game, and each requires a different method to open. As the scroll in the nearby alcove suggests, you'll need to "use your wits" to open them. Please see our Iron Doors page for more details on all of them.

This one can be opened fairly easily, however. There are two hidden switches on the walls of this room, one on the northwest end and the other on the southeast. Press both of them and the Iron Door will open, revealing a Whitewood Wand, a useful item for any Mage in your party.

lets make it a wand of magic missiles. simple, not too strong, but profoundly useful to a party with limited supplies.
24 - Crystal of Life & Scroll of Poison Cloud

This room contains a large, glowing crystal. As the helpful scroll nearby tells you, this is a Crystal of Life - upon activating it, your entire party will be revived and fully healed, and your game will be saved. You'll come to love these mystical stones in the near future.

Heading out of the room, be sure to check the alcove in the wall for another spell scroll, this one explaining Poison Cloud. Poison Cloud does less direct damage than Fireburst, but has the added benefit of causing lingering damage over time, and the cloud hangs in the air for several seconds.

still on level 1, so another 1st level spell scroll, and the reveal of the healing crystal.

I"m gonna say, that anything in the light of the healing crystal (a 5 by 5 square centered on the crystal )when it gets touched, is revived if dead, and treated as if it just took a full rest. then it deactivates for 8 hours, the time of a real rest. and while it's active, anything that wants to make an aggressive action must pass a will save of dc 20, and can't find itself to stay angry in it's presence. this makes it a great place to rest and relax, or if they want to burn it's protection, to heal up and move on, or start a fight that they lead to one. smart use of the crystals is important, and I feel this is what is going to be the crux of the adventure's safety, just like in game.

Congratulations, you've finished Level 1 of Mount Grimrock's dungeon! Proceed down the hallway to (A), and take the stairs down to Level 2 - the Old Tunnels.

A - Stairs Down to Level 2

and that's level one for now, base layout and first thoughts.
again, if anyone has ideas, I fully welcome and encourage them,
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Remember the old school D&D modules (which were the best) had the "description" box (that's read to the players), then below it additional information (for the DM, the monster stats, the items found, etc).

So that's what I'd go through and do with each of these rooms, if you're planning to convert it into a D&D adventure.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Baylith

Post by Baylith »

Sir Tawmis wrote:Remember the old school D&D modules (which were the best) had the "description" box (that's read to the players), then below it additional information (for the DM, the monster stats, the items found, etc).

So that's what I'd go through and do with each of these rooms, if you're planning to convert it into a D&D adventure.
planning to, just trying to setup the base stuff for the important things I need to balance out