Might & Magic X Legacy

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Luj1

Might & Magic X Legacy

Post by Luj1 »

Tried it while waiting for Grimrock and Wasteland 2 .... few thoughts

- bug-ridden

Mostly visual glitches, for example the terrain turning black. There is stuff like this, but no bugs in story or content. So im happy to say I finished all quests so far

- overly simplified environments

The whole world uses grid-based maps, even towns are grids (think early M&M games). Seems awkward at first, but easily adjustable to. However , this is not the problem. What i DO mind, is absolutely no content that seems optional. There is no secrets, no hidden quests or locations, no marginal content. The whole environment , every town or dungeon, is just so streamlined and linear, you get the feeling how every playthrough can only be the same . This is my biggest gripe with the game, absolutely streamlined design of environments. Its like playing a kids platformer when moving on the map

- overly suggestive information (big flashy PRESS [E] TO USE on every object)

Annoying as hell , and is something you'd normally see in console titles.

- worst character creation I've seen in my life

I am serious. And i played a lot of RPGs in my life. Worst RPG i played was Dungeon Lords (?) , a clone of sorts , but even it had better chargen. Hideous "arcade-like" windows with concise or no information. Add to this 3 pathetic classes per race and you got yourself a nightmare

- hideous UI elements in general

The game actually is close to gorgeous. But the HUD and UI elements are just HIDEOUS, as if taken straight from an arcade machine (think Golden axe UI). The World map is as if taken from a random facebook game (!) which alone deserves a facepalm. Portraits/heads are pretty good though

- Broken tooltip information and vague tooltips

Sometimes you will hover the cursor over Attributes and other stats, but wont see anything. Or you'll see broken text most of the time. During char creation and early stages of the game, its very hard to figure out what each statistic does. Albeit after awhile you'll get some understanding and this does get less annoying

now some stuff that's good, off the top of my head.

- Good looking game

Despite everything, this game is close to gorgeous. Some caves and an inside of a well were breathtaking. Generally, interiors are beautiful and hold huge potential. Outdoors and Towns are more like some 2004 game but okay. I also like how they did shops etc. (in a traditional M&M kind of way)

- DEEP tactical combat that's VERY fun

Really i cannot stress this enough. Combat is grid-based and turn-based. Your characters have no formation but rather are located in the same plane (Much like M&M games). Every character can evade, or block and has 1 action per turn (drinking potions , curing disease also consumes a move) . But there is so much combat development its just insane. For example my Elf started with 1 attack per dagger, now i have 7 dagger attacks per action :D , a real flurry of blows! Also weapons can spawn mods with retaliation or somesuch mechanic that further deepens combat. For example a sword that strikes twice, or a Shield bash that follows a successful critical strike. Bosses and other opponents have special mods, like every inflicted 'miss' or 'block' action gives a free attack, making bosses sometimes wipe parties with dual-wielders etc. etc. I feel sorry for this aspect of the game the most

- Nice game pace and progression

Really compared to other RPGs this game feels like Diablo. I for one dislike sluggish games that dont allow lengthy character development (level 7,8 was realistic for completing Baldurs Gate 1). I play just a couple of hours each day and this gives me the impression im getting better. And with such a fast progression, one doesn't waste time to theory-craft (kills the fun) but rather just play :).Expect to reach level 35+ in this game

- Decent tiered skill system

Or should i say talent tree. Well, despite everything its fairly good. After reaching certain thresholds in skills (novice, expert, master, grandmaster) you'd require a trainer to 'authenticate' your development. Only then could you move forward. These tiers all give something specific, for example, Expert tier axe gives more lethal axe crits, Dagger Master gives extra block/attacks etc. etc.

- The little things inherited from earlier entries in the series

Well thank god they remember those games still .. Things like barrels can sometimes hold bubbling liquid that can increase one of your party members resistance permanently. Enterable wells or Magical fountains, being able to dig out any tile on the map, stuff like that

CONCLUSSION - A legendary franchise (and a game with high potential) , ruined by incompetent devs and greedy chiefs at Ubi

So from the start , the marketing was really shit. It was obvious they wanted to make an old school game (inspired by huuuge KS successes of Wasteland, Project Eternity and Torment). However , this team obviously had no passion for this kind of game. Maybe they had knowledge, resources and maybe they displayed some EFFORT. But no passion or love whatsoever. So during mid to late development phase , they did this serious of blogs about what you wanted to see or play etc. They did this for a few months which left me with an impression that these guys didn't know what to do (!) . Now im all for communication with the fanbase (look failed TES:O) , but these guys clearly overdid it - they asked the community about EVERYTHING

So anyway, shortly after I guess the game didn't perform well in sales , there was only a single patch total and these scumbags LEFT THE PROJECT. They left some sort of bullshit announcement "The End of an Era" or some shit, which was just an excuse the dump the project downstream. I've NEVER in my life seen someone in the industry just WALK AWAY like this , hell these scumbags couldn't even do 1 full year of support (they did around 6 months)

/rant over
RPG veteran
Mychaelh

Re: Might & Magic X Legacy

Post by Mychaelh »

Good to know. I was already thinking about to try it out.
Might and Magic was always more 'casual' Dungeon Crawling. I tried MM 3 and 6(?) years ago but even then found it boring.

Dungeon Lords on the other hand is kind of a cult game. It was done by David W. Bradley (designer of Wizardry V,VI,VII and Wizards&Warriors the 'stepbrother' of Wizardry 8). There was a new version called 'Dungeon Lords MMXII', but it had many bugs that never got patched, so it should be avoided.

The old Dungeon Lord version was good, - if you don't expect a new Baldurs Gate.
It's an action-CRPG with late Wizardry-like stat system. You could make some really cool char builds. The action combat was nice and it had some cool locations.
Last edited by Mychaelh on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eLPuSHeR

Post by eLPuSHeR »

I own this game. I have finished it twice. It's not great but it isn't bad either. And It has got at least two patches/updates and a free DLC.

On the other hand, I agree this game is mostly about potential or what it could have been. The developers behind it were amateurs. Now they are making the next installment for the Heroes of Might & Magic franchise. Be very afraid! :D
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)
Luj1

Post by Luj1 »

Mychaelh wrote:Good to know. I was already thinking about to try it out.
I mean, its not as bad if you can get past party creation. Overall this game is a linear but smooth experience. I must say I had a decent time despite everything
Mychaelh wrote:Might and Magic was always more 'casual' Dungeon Crawling. I tried MM 3 and 6(?) years ago but even then found it boring.
As far as I know, Might and Magic 7: For Blood and Honor is supposed to be the height of the series
Mychaelh wrote: It was done by David W. Bradley (designer of Wizardry V,VI,VII ...
Yeah I have been aware of that prior to playing it, but what I ended up playing was a hybridized clone of sorts. HUD was like WoW's (actually Everquest's), dialogue model was taken from Morrowind, world felt like a generic fantasy due to poor setting choices. Albeit it had quite a bit of action in it I remember.

Mychaelh wrote:The old Dungeon Lord version was good, - if you don't expect a new Baldurs Gate.
It's an action-RPG with late Wizardry-like stat system. You could make some really cool char builds. The action combat was nice and it had some cool locations.

For me the top turn-based crawler will always be Wizardry 8 :D So many possible parties and the world is just huge (albeit grindy!)
RPG veteran
Luj1

Post by Luj1 »

eLPuSHeR wrote:
On the other hand, I agree this game is mostly about potential or what it could have been. The developers behind it were amateurs. Now they are making the next installment for the Heroes of Might & Magic franchise. Be very afraid! :D
That IP is shit for a long time, last good one was HoMM 4 (still cant come close to HoMM 3 though but is a respectable TBS in its own )
RPG veteran
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

Luj1 wrote:For me the top turn-based crawler will always be Wizardry 8 :D
Yeah, Wizardry 8 is supreme when it comes to "turn-based combat" crawlers.
You could even play this shit in real-time...but who ever has done THAT?

You really should try out Wizards & Warriors if you don't know it already.

ImageImage

It's the most similar to Wiz 8 that exists, because it's the child of the departed lead Designer of Sir-Tech, but sadly forgotten.

Review:
D.W. Bradley and his development staff have created a game that excels in all categories, with an extreme for detail in every part of the game.
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/reviews ... 00-1.shtml
------------------
Sadly it was full of bugs when it came out and was overshadowed by Wiz 8 and so got never the fame it deserves.

Problem is to get a working copy. And you need Windows XP or Windows Millenium, if I remember right.
Also essential is the "unofficial" Wizards & Warriors Patch v1.00 and the Wizards & Warriors Graphics Patch
-> http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wizards ... oads.shtml
Last edited by Mychaelh on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Luj1

Post by Luj1 »

Well if it's that good I guess I got to try it :D
Last edited by Luj1 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RPG veteran
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

I wish I could get into M&MX... however, the optimization is just terrible.

Long loading times, and when you walk around in the overworld, the framerate drops significantly. And it's not like the graphics are so amazing either.
lukesw

Post by lukesw »

Mychaelh wrote:
Luj1 wrote:For me the top turn-based crawler will always be Wizardry 8 :D
Yeah, Wizardry 8 is supreme when it comes to "turn-based combat" crawlers.
I respect your (woefully - and some may say foolishly - misguided) opinions, but as every right minded individual knows, Wizardry 7 is the supreme turn-based dungeon crawler... :)
Luj1

Post by Luj1 »

Jack Dandy wrote: Long loading times,...
Huge.

And sudden framerate drops in outdoor areas where graphics are so 2004 (I even have a beast PC)

really unoptimized game , but not worse than Skyrim on launch day

Dungeons and interiors were fairly good looking I must say. Caves reminded me a lot of Kingdoms of Amalur lively style while dungeon tilesets stand toe-to-toe with Grimrock (at least visually)
RPG veteran