Bards Tale & Wizardry reboot?

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
DNACowboy

Bards Tale & Wizardry reboot?

Post by DNACowboy »

We've seen the incredible success of Grimrock & Grimrock 2 by Almost Human which refelcts the appetite amongst the gaming community for old-school rpg's, with this in mind I wonder if it is possible for Almost Human to buy the rights to Michael Cranford's Bards Tale and/or the Wizardry series?
Michael Cranford is one of the nicest developers I've ever met; subsequently I believe he'd jump at reviving the Bards Tale series.
I for one would donate to a Bards Tale remake or even a new project in that world and the same for Sir-Tech's Wizardry, how about you? Would you donate cash towards a Bards Tale or Wizardry remake?
Mychaelh

Re: Bards Tale & Wizardry reboot?

Post by Mychaelh »

Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

DNACowboy wrote:Michael Cranford is one of the nicest developers I've ever met; subsequently I believe he'd jump at reviving the Bards Tale series.
They tried. They made it a third person action adventure that breaks the fourth wall constantly. It was rather unremarkable.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
DNACowboy

Post by DNACowboy »

Sol_HSA wrote:
DNACowboy wrote:Michael Cranford is one of the nicest developers I've ever met; subsequently I believe he'd jump at reviving the Bards Tale series.
They tried. They made it a third person action adventure that breaks the fourth wall constantly. It was rather unremarkable.
That's a real shame :-(

@Mychaelh

What happened to Devils Whisky?
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

DNACowboy wrote: @Mychaelh

What happened to Devils Whisky?
'Decklin' (Richard Whitwell) the guy that also owns the rights for Mordor/Demise - Rise of the Ku'tan & Ascension bought it:

http://www.decklinsdemise.com/
http://www.decklinsdomain.com/games/gam ... vilwhiskey
lukesw

Post by lukesw »

Wizardry lives on as a series of relatively obscure dungeon crawler games in Japan.

I'd love to see a dungeon crawler in the spirit of Wizardry VII, but with the production values of Grimrock. In fact, this is my idea of a perfect dungeon crawler. C'mon someone, get to it!
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

lukesw wrote:Wizardry lives on as a series of relatively obscure dungeon crawler games in Japan.
Elminage Gothic was translated into English and is on Steam since a month or so.

...and there is also Paper Sorcerer.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

lukesw wrote:Wizardry lives on as a series of relatively obscure dungeon crawler games in Japan.
I'd love to see a dungeon crawler in the spirit of Wizardry VII, but with the production values of Grimrock. In fact, this is my idea of a perfect dungeon crawler. C'mon someone, get to it!
There was a Wizardry Online MMO based on the Japanese version of Wizardry (which I might add is nothing like the American Wizardry), but that went under this year in July. I shared my thoughts on my website.

I absolutely LOVED the Wizardry series. Like seriously loved them. As an OLD D&D geek, Wizardry was a great, great way to do fun dungeon crawls, with my own characters, and some insanely named spells. (Though I was fine when the spells eventually got renamed to more logical ones later). Sir-Tech, the makers of Wizardry, eventually went under. They essentially finished Wizardry 8, and closed their doors. I have a website I made EONS ago for Wizardry 8, hosted on my site. Even my wife played Wizardry 8... (she actually beat it one week before me!)
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
lukesw

Post by lukesw »

Interesting post.

I firmly believe that Wizardry 7 is the best Dungeon Crawler ever made. It had a wide scope, interesting plot and setting, fantastic (for the time) NPC interactions and wonderfully quirky races and classes. Wizard 8 was a fine and fitting end to the series, too, but it was clearly inferior to Wizardry 7.

Honestly, nothing quite like the last two Sir-Tech Wizardry games has been released since they were made. There isn't one or even a handful of features that makes the games so compelling, it's the so far unique way that everything comes together that makes them so fabulous. A modern dungeon crawler in the Wizardry 7 style, with up to date production values, would be a truly wonderful thing to behold.

I don't quite understand how the "new" Japanese owners of the brand manage to repeatedly misunderstand what they've bought and produce games that only resemble the original series in the vaguest, most surface of ways. What a shame.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

lukesw wrote:Honestly, nothing quite like the last two Sir-Tech Wizardry games has been released since they were made.
There is also Wizards & Warriors, which was actually the competitor to Wizardry 8, done by David W. Bradley (Designer of Wizardry V, VI, VII):