Screen Sizes

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
DJK

Re: Screen Sizes

Post by DJK »

Bees wrote:
DJK wrote:
Komag wrote:Yes, you're perfectly correct. Some people just like having a HUGE TV sitting right in front of their face. And I can understand that - sometimes having the screen size be so big can add to immersion and fun when playing a game, even if the pixels aren't as sharp you don't notice it much after a while.
Thought so :(

Exampel:
http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/12542221/a ... -full.html

1800 euro for a 30"... I bought my 27" for 300 euro... it's just not "proportional" :(
That's because you're not taking into account the quality of the panel. The NEC you linked has an IPS screen with 10-bit color accuracy. Unless you import a Korean panel duty-free, you'll be hard pressed to get a 27 inch screen that's anything other than a cheap 6-bit TN panel for 300 dollars.
My current screen is a Syncmaster T260 27" and it's pretty good :) I even dropped it while unpacking from 1m50 and while I heard things "break" inside it still worked perfectly :) (not sure what broke but it can't be important as it runs just fine for 2 years and counting :)
glyn_ie

Post by glyn_ie »

High resolutions are good...they're the kind of thing you don't want to backtrack with. Once you're on 1920x1080, you wont go back to 1360x768, or from that to 1024x768. Plus for me, I wouldn't go back to 4:3 (box) after using 16:9 (wide-screen) displays - I just prefer the look and feel of a wide-screen. Actually, I find 1920x1080 is big enough for anything, especially games - and the massive screen really does count for more than the resolution in my opinion (I wasn't sure it would until I hooked up to a TV - almost considered returning it before I connected it).

Here's what I recommend: I have two screens on this machine - a massive TV and a decent wide-screen monitor. Try setting yourself up with a dual monitor solution. Use both screens each time you're at the machine...reflect on which one you end up using the most. For me it's always the TV - I end up using the monitor as my secondary display and playing or sticking garbage on it.

EDIT: One word of caution...if you do use a TV on a computer, watch out for screen fatigue (this is where auto-turnoff (most important) and screen-savers come in handy). They really are susceptible to it over months or years. This is because the back-light in a TV is much more powerful (brighter and hotter) than in monitors and it can distort the materials in the display. It doesn't render the screen unusable...in fact, this LCD screen has pretty extensive burn damage, and it's still totally cool to use, but it might piss you off if you're paying up the ass for this stuff. (The consequences are that you get slightly washed out or discolored patches (permanent), and shapes or outlines will remain in the screen for some time (temporary) if the output doesn't change for quite a while and the screen's especially hot). However both of these effects only occur after the damage has been done, and it is avoidable.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I have a 24" running on 1680 x 1050 and a second 17" monitor running on 1280 x 800. I'm really happy with both, the primary is as big as I could want for gaming, and the secondary is great for an internet/email window which I have open while I play. I have't needed to upgrade my graphics card in years, as I purposely bought one that was fantastic for 1680 x 1050, I still play every new game on high graphic settings and such.

Of course the lack of the need to upgrading is caused by this console generations unusually long lifespan, which has had a knock on effect on PC gaming.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Orthocone

Post by Orthocone »

I have a 27" Monitor running at 2560x1440. Believe me I'll never (!!!) return to a smaller one. LoG looks great on this screen and games like Oblivion or Skyrim on highest resolution are.... simply fantastic. And, of course, I use it for looking HD-films.

I would like to buy a 30" but it's too expensive (at the moment). So I have to wait for another solution in the future. I thought about a TV but I have no one with such a screen at home to find out, what quality this means for games, especially high resolution games.
m22rdy

Post by m22rdy »

Sol_HSA wrote:Or wait a couple of years and get a qhd (4k) display.. ;)
UHD (4K) 3840×2160 basically 4x times Full HD

Source: Wikipedia :D
I live within the world of Grimrock
DJK

Post by DJK »

Wait a couple of years ? I already have this 27" a couple of years :( Tech advancement is to slow these days...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

DJK wrote:Wait a couple of years ? I already have this 27" a couple of years :( Tech advancement is to slow these days...
Buy yourself an IMAX! :lol:

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Bees

Post by Bees »

2560*1440 S-IPS panels are approaching the $400 range. It ain't 2560x1600, but I don't see how technology is moving slowly.
Leki

Post by Leki »

Bees wrote:2560*1440 S-IPS panels are approaching the $400 range. It ain't 2560x1600, but I don't see how technology is moving slowly.
Fujitsu Siemens P27T-6 IPS - best price in this category. I have it about 2y and its still excelent. Better than 2x24" fullHD - I can comapre that, because I have 2x IPS HP 24" at work - and that one 27" at home is better.
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
jontycampbell

Post by jontycampbell »

glyn_ie wrote:Get a HDTV. You'll never go back to monitors.
The rub with this is in Britain you have to buy the tuner that goes with it inside the thing, meaning an unwelcome letter from the TV Tax BBC folk -
I've not had a TV for years.