Diablo 3

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Kthanid

Re: Diablo 3

Post by Kthanid »

Totally agree with seebs. If you needed any additional proof what a terrible idea this is, try playing your "single player" Diablo 3 anytime during their scheduled outages for patching or updates (or, like seebs mentioned, anytime you're gaming in an environment where being constantly connected isn't desirable or realistic). This game is not an MMO, Blizzard fans need to stop using that pathetic excuse as a crutch to defend this horrendously bad decision. There's a reason everyone is slamming Blizzard over the always-online DRM (and that's exactly what it is), even when reviewers are still handing out 90-100/100 reviews, they're all still mentioning what a completely poor decision the always-online requirement is.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Yeah, I do agree that an option like with SC2 would be nice. Registering online once, and then be able to play singleplayer offline on separate characters, with achievements disabled and unable to bring those characters into multiplayer, should've been quite possible. I just wouldn't assume that for someone who apparently has plenty of online time to post on fora, that would be a dealbreaker if he was really looking forward to the game.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Thels wrote:Yeah, I do agree that an option like with SC2 would be nice. Registering online once, and then be able to play singleplayer offline on separate characters, with achievements disabled and unable to bring those characters into multiplayer, should've been quite possible. I just wouldn't assume that for someone who apparently has plenty of online time to post on fora, that would be a dealbreaker if he was really looking forward to the game.
But we know it's that way for some. :D

I'll be picking up Diablo 3 when they announce a patch that adds offline single player. 8-)
PSY

Post by PSY »

Isaac wrote:I'll be picking up Diablo 3 when they announce a patch that adds offline single player. 8-)
D3 is great in single-player mode, but compared to a mulitplayer game with 3 friends it stinks :)
You won't want to miss the multiplayer mode once you've tried it, believe me ;)

In addition, you wouldn't have access to the auction house when playing offline.
On normal difficulty, this isn't that big a deal.
But if you are planning to play on nightmare or even hell difficulty, you won't survive without decent equip, most of which you will only obtain in the auction house.

PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Daght

Post by Daght »

I still prefear Titan Quest... in Diablo 3 there's no fun for me.
If we do not end the war, the war will end us.
Thels

Post by Thels »

PSY wrote:On normal difficulty, this isn't that big a deal.
But if you are planning to play on nightmare or even hell difficulty, you won't survive without decent equip, most of which you will only obtain in the auction house.
Nightmare can be played decently with gear you find. And for all the slots where you simply don't find any good stuff, you just need to craft yourself something.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

PSY wrote:
Isaac wrote:I'll be picking up Diablo 3 when they announce a patch that adds offline single player. 8-)
D3 is great in single-player mode, but compared to a mulitplayer game with 3 friends it stinks :)
You won't want to miss the multiplayer mode once you've tried it, believe me ;)

In addition, you wouldn't have access to the auction house when playing offline.
On normal difficulty, this isn't that big a deal.

PSY
8-) Sounds cool, but I only play multiplayer RTS (I've never had a use for Battle-Net); and I will never use the auction house for anything, even if they do (unexpectedly) patch the game for offline singleplayer with optional online access.

If a [non RTS] game can't stand by it's strength as a single player game, I generally don't play it much, if at all.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Actually, it does pretty well in single player vs multi player.

Of course, playing games with friends is always better than playing games alone, but I'd say the game is far from boring in single player mode. It allows you to play the game at your own pace, and also offers followers, which multi player does not.

Also, when a game only has 1 player, you can quickly pause the game by opening the menu, whereas in multi player you'd have to portal back to town if you wanted to be safe, usually not much of an issue in SC, but practically mandatory in HC.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I've been playing HOMM6 recently and that dispite being a single player game also requires an always connected internet, unfortunately I seem to drop out 2-3 times a session causing me to replay sections... :evil:

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
PSY

Post by PSY »

Thels wrote:Nightmare can be played decently with gear you find. And for all the slots where you simply don't find any good stuff, you just need to craft yourself something.
OK, you may be right, but try hell or even inferno :)

I'm doing the hell level with my witch atm, and the blue and yellow packs are giving me a hard time, even with decent gear...couldn't think of playing that difficulty level without auction house equip ^^

PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return