Favorite old school RPG's

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Renevent

Favorite old school RPG's

Post by Renevent »

As the title says, what are some of your favorite old school RPG's?

1. Pool of Radiance - my first PC game, much less first RPG so this game really made it's mark on me. Loved leveling up a party of my own choosing, the tactical turn based battles, and all the different areas you could explore. I remember really being impressed when I was close to clearing out the main city all the sudden I gained access to a huge overworld map with new locations.

2. Darksun - Great graphics for it's time, and very unique setting. Just like PoR, I also enjoyed this one for it's tactical combat and party creation system.

3. Eye of the Beholder - Dungeon crawling at it's finest :D

4. Arx Fatalis - While technically a newer game, Arx Fatalis captured the soul and essence of dungeon crawling perfectly. I consider it to be one of the most atmospheric games ever made as well.

5. Temple of Elemental Evil - In my opinion the best video game interpretation of D&D to date. So many option on a tactical level. I still consider the graphics to be beautiful to this day...the 2D art is amazing.
Mameluk

Re: Favorite old school RPG's

Post by Mameluk »

Fallout games, but only the good ones. That means no F3, New Vegas or BoS. Haven't played Tactics.

If I had to choose, I would not pick ToEE over Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, but that's just me.

Not sure about Morrowind. Modded Morrowind doesn't really look like an old school rpg anymore... Still, it's a classic I like more for its lore, music and atmosphere. But the gameplay is terrible to say the least.

Then there are the good old JRPGs for the NES and SNES. Final Fantasy 1-6, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger and other fantastic games...

And probably a ton of other good games I forgot to mention. :D Damn my memory!
Renevent

Post by Renevent »

Yeah the first few Final Fantasy games were great...I and II were really good, and while I did enjoy III, I think that's when the series started to loose it's appeal for me. Went a bit overboard on the cuscenes, dramatics, and stuff like that.

I do like BG I & II, but I prefer games with less emphasis on story and more around exploration and combat. Actually enjoyed NWN and Icewind Dale series more too. I guess I like more hack and slash affairs.
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

Ohh yes, Icewind Dale! That's what I was trying to recall, thanks for reminding me buddy. :D
Hmm, I think some hack&slash games could technically count as rpgs, since they are at least very similar to action role-playing games. Namely Diablo, Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege and that one game I keep forgetting again.

Yeah, totally agreed, Final Fantasy sold out. The new ones are almost too terrible to look at, starting from FF X. Pretty graphics aren't enough to cover the horrors of those games. :D
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

I wasn't too big on RPGs as a kid, so I missed out on a whole bunch of them.
I try to catch up using Dosbox. :D

I was especially impressed by Ultima Underworld. I couldn't believe it actually came out BEFORE Wolfenstein 3D- it had so many features the genre didn't get until years later:
-Curved surfaces, ceilings, flowing water
-Interaction with anyone and anything, character and environment descriptions..
-Amazing non-linearity
-Great RPG mechanics

As someone who played it last year for the first time in his life, I can safely say it's aged VERY well.

And yeah, I also really like the first 2 Fallouts. (Also New Vegas, but this is an old school thread!)
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I'd have to say the original Fallout. Very interesting, good gameplay. The new FPSRPG(?) ones are ok, but nothing compared to the original.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
-H.P Lovecraft

^Admit it's greatness or get out!:P
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

Admittedly, I don't hate the new Fallout games either. I like them, actually. Especially New Vegas, had really fun with that one. Just tryin' to keep the topic old school.
Renevent

Post by Renevent »

Jack Dandy wrote:I wasn't too big on RPGs as a kid, so I missed out on a whole bunch of them.
I try to catch up using Dosbox. :D

I was especially impressed by Ultima Underworld. I couldn't believe it actually came out BEFORE Wolfenstein 3D- it had so many features the genre didn't get until years later:
-Curved surfaces, ceilings, flowing water
-Interaction with anyone and anything, character and environment descriptions..
-Amazing non-linearity
-Great RPG mechanics

As someone who played it last year for the first time in his life, I can safely say it's aged VERY well.

And yeah, I also really like the first 2 Fallouts. (Also New Vegas, but this is an old school thread!)
Yeah ultima series is great...and actually Arx Fatalis is heavily inspired by it.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Yep Renevent, I got it installed on my computer. However, my backlog is pretty goddamn frightening.
First off, I promised myself I'll finish Ultima 7 so I can understand what's going on in Underworld 2, and only then I'll progress to Arx Fatalis. But first I also gotta finish The Witcher 1+2, and play more DoomRL, and Tribes Ascend, and... aggggh, here we go :shock:
antti

Post by antti »

Of the more dungeon crawly RPGs, I really liked Dungeon Master, Ultima Underworld 1/2, Arx Fatalis and Menzoberranzan and the isometric RPGs that I liked the most are Ultima 7, Fallout 1/2 and Planescape: Torment.

I really don't know why I liked Menzoberranzan enought to play through it twice because looking back, it's a pretty average game. Strangely enough, it offered the player to choose between freeform movement or grid based movement. Both of those options felt a little awkward but I went with the freeform.

Ultima Underworld games indeed were technologically brilliant at the time. Underworld 1 was released around the time Wolfenstein 3D was released but it already offered walls at 45 degree angles and floors of different heights and angles as well as bridges that you could walk under. The sense of adventuring in the underground tunnels was brilliant too. I think these games also definitely paved the way to some of the modern first-person RPGs like Skyrim.

Ultima 7 was an open world RPG. And the world was pretty damn huge too! And the environment graphics were all awesome and colorful and you could very easily just ignore the plot and just walk around exploring all the different locations and talk to people and, of course, rob their houses :twisted: . And you could get your own horse carriage, ship or even a flying carpet. I always decorated my vehicles with cannons, chandeliers, talking parrots and boxes upon boxes for loot :D . The real-time combat system wasn't very good though.

Fallout 1 and 2 are definitely my favorite RPGs of all time. Great setting, good gameplay mechanics (especially the perks and traits of the character. Combat was good too) and incredibly good quests. The soundscapes and the overall mood with the dark sense of humor that prevented the games from being too grim were especially great. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are okay too but something has definitely been lost in the translation.

And finally, Planescape: Torment, my second favorite RPG. I always found the Baldur's Gate series somehow a little too boring and "usual" but Planescape definitely put its own spin on the fantasy genre. The setting of the game was delightfully twisted and surreal but what stood above all was the writing. The places were all filled with interesting stories and the way the plot and all the little subplots unfolded were incredible. Everything in the game is just so imaginative and interestingly told. The players probably spend more time in dialogue with other characters than in combat.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry