Star Wars - Episode IX Teaser.

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Sir Tawmis

Star Wars - Episode IX Teaser.

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Zo Kath Ra

Re: Star Wars - Episode IX Teaser.

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

I wish I could still get excited about Star Wars.
I'm getting old :(
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Zo Kath Ra wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 pm I wish I could still get excited about Star Wars.
:lol: We are all getting old - the secret is - maintain your immaturity and you remain youthful forever.
Your significant other may want to strangle you for it... but hey, everything comes with a price.

I am excited based off what I see. There are things that ... not bother me... but noticed as we've gotten more into CGI and advanced movie antics - that just make each movie a little more over the top than the last. (The "jump in the desert" is all I will say in case someone's reading the comments and not yet watched the video). And there was the illusion thing Luke did in the previous movie, which seemed pretty far fetched (even for scifi, and what we know as a "basis" for a Jedi - or even a Jedi Master's ability - otherwise why didn't Vader just hologram himself onto the Leia's shuttle when they were looking for the Deathstar plans originally). Each movie (not just Star Wars, movies in general) for a franchise always seems to "up the previous" movie.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Sir Tawmis wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:51 pm And there was the illusion thing Luke did in the previous movie, which seemed pretty far fetched (even for scifi, and what we know as a "basis" for a Jedi - or even a Jedi Master's ability - otherwise why didn't Vader just hologram himself onto the Leia's shuttle when they were looking for the Deathstar plans originally).
Or the suicidal version of the Picard Maneuver used by Rear Admiral Hodor in TLJ.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Zo Kath Ra wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 pm I wish I could still get excited about Star Wars.
Nah, it's not your age. It the absence of George.

EP7 came with a huge hype it could not fulfil despite (or due to?) all it's build-in nostalgia. EP8 came with the promise to fix / beef things up, but dumped all threads started in EP7 just to break the Star Wars universe mechanics. Leia space-floating? Using Hyperspace as a weapon? Force-projections across entire star systems? GTFO!

That mentioned EP9 trailer desert jump .. any bet she'll learn to fly right after that due to all her awesome Force powers.
Seriously, this saga has to come to an end.
Torst

Post by Torst »

Same here.Can't get in this universe .
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:52 am
Here's hoping I don't offend you... but you do realize that George also gave us...

1. Jar Jar Binks.
2. Midi-Chlorians.

I could probably go on, but those two alone are greater than any transitivity that's been done in Episode VII or VIII.

The thing is ... great writers can lose their way. Like George. Another one, if you're familiar with comics, is Chris Clairemont. He did way too many great things when he was on the X-Books back in the day (introduced the most popular mutants - Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, brought Wolverine on the team; introduced the New Mutants). He eventually, after YEARS and YEARS on the X-Books leaves. Fast forward 10 years or so, he comes back - hailing he will bring the X-Books back to greatness. He introduced a group called "The Neo" - and tries to make it great, and flops - and continues to flop - until he once again, leaves the X-Books. Still love him for his old stuff, but don't really trust him to do X-Books anymore. Same way I feel about George. I love what he gave us back in the day, but Episode I, II and III all showed me, each time, that he was "done" doing Star Wars and tanking one of the biggest franchises.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Sir Tawmis wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:14 am
Dr.Disaster wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:52 am
Here's hoping I don't offend you... but you do realize that George also gave us...

1. Jar Jar Binks.
2. Midi-Chlorians.

I could probably go on, but those two alone are greater than any transitivity that's been done in Episode VII or VIII.
I agree George made some eyebrow-raising decisions in the prequels but he never went against established basics of his (or our) universe. Remember those gravity drop bombers in early EP8 space battle? I take Midi-Chlorians over such impossibilities anytime.

Ok, Jar-Jar was annoying. But with his job being comic relief like the original R2D2+C3PO team and Fin+BB8 now i can let that pass.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:23 pm I agree George made some eyebrow-raising decisions in the prequels but he never went against established basics of his (or our) universe. Remember those gravity drop bombers in early EP8 space battle? I take Midi-Chlorians over such impossibilities anytime.
Ok, Jar-Jar was annoying. But with his job being comic relief like the original R2D2+C3PO team and Fin+BB8 now i can let that pass.
George broke some of our basic laws of the universe. Those times that X-Wings and TIEs go burning up in space, shouldn't happen. The flames would be seconds long, if that - due to lack of oxygen in space. But we see TIEs spinning out of control, on fire, and blowing up. But how boring would that be if the explosion was a quick mili-second rather than this burning, spinning, out of control TIE slamming into a Star Destroyer?

(But yes, those bombers in Episode 8, I agree, I was like, "Wait, how are they breathing?" Let alone bombs falling in space without being shoved through some set of motion to set them in that direction). But at the same time, take into account a lightsaber, it defies the basics too (a beam of light so hot it can cut doors, but put your hand at the top where it stops and it's emitting no heat?) Sometimes, you just have to say, "It's SciFi - it's just how it works." :lol:

And Fin + BB8 and R2 + 3PO worked... Jar Jar never worked, for me, as comedy relief. I think because he was WAY too over the top.
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Just watched the last movie, and really liked it. Was a good surprise for me, since I didn't like too much episodes 7 and 8.

I would rate the franchise this way, best to worse:

Episode VI – Return of the Jedi
Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back
Episode II – Attack of the Clones
Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker
Episode IV – A New Hope
Episode I – The Phantom Menace
Episode VIII – The Last Jedi
Episode VII – The Force Awakens