Want to play older dungeon crawlers.Where to start?

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Sir_Veillance

Re: Want to play older dungeon crawlers.Where to start?

Post by Sir_Veillance »

Nethack, such a great game...
I fall down pits, therefore, I am.
Kurguz

Post by Kurguz »

I've managed to put my hands on EotB 1 and Lands of Lore (really loved LoG and wanted to try the old ones) and another one (actually the only of the 3 i started) and that has not been said yet (I think), the nice Menzoberranzan, not very far into it but enjoying the game like a dwarf enjoys a good jar o'beer, give it a try !
"Let them come and meet our blades"
Germ

Post by Germ »

Thanks guys,you gave me a few blasts from the past and a few unknown games to try.
Been playing LoL yesterday and I remember it distinctly from my old 486 PC days BUT I think I never got further than the first forest area back then for some reason.
Today I have mostly been playing ToME and I'm loving it,got a lvl 9 Human higher Alchemist and even gave my golem a name :)

One question I'll ask about ToME.....what are the worthwhile mods/addons for a new player? I don't want to just install them all and be massively confused or spoil my enjoyment of later playthroughs.

I wish Captive had been released for the PC back in DOS days or even better would be a remake as I've tried playing on the Amiga emulator and it's just too hard to see secret switches etc with such low quality gfx.
I seem to recall The Black Anvil being pretty tough on the Amiga as I seem to remember using my old Action Replay cartridge to alter stats on it. On a side note I also spent ages on Captive (after beating it legitimately) using the Action Replay to experiment with item codes giving my characters items I'm not even sure you could get ingame :D
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Lands of Lore & Stonekeep were already mentioned, but I can point you to where to get them: GoG.com has both (and LoL1 has LoL2 bundled with it).

Also "Ancient Domains of Mystery"; it's actually not and old game, but it's in the style of Rogue/Nethack and is pretty awesome.
http://www.adom.de/
Thels

Post by Thels »

Kurguz wrote:I've managed to put my hands on EotB 1
EoB2 is actually the jewel of the trilogy, with EoB3 being a crappy milk the cow version (no involvement from Westwood anymore). But since you can import your EoB1 party into EoB2, play 1 first. ;)
Kurguz

Post by Kurguz »

Cool, as soon as I finish EoB1 I'll try to get EoB2. Thanks for the advice Thels! :)
"Let them come and meet our blades"
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Kurguz wrote:Cool, as soon as I finish EoB1 I'll try to get EoB2. Thanks for the advice Thels! :)
Lands of Lore is what Westwood made after EOB2. It's considered by some to be sort of an unofficial EOB3; but it has clear differences to it.
It's not one to miss.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

I played Lands of Lore when it came out fresh. Was nice story and to look at, but felt more like a graphic demo then a 'real' game (it was just to easy). At least, that's how I remember it. Never bothered to play it a second time after I had finished it...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Mychaelh wrote:I played Lands of Lore when it came out fresh. Was nice story and to look at, but felt more like a graphic demo then a 'real' game (it was just to easy). At least, that's how I remember it. Never bothered to play it a second time after I had finished it...
The hidden switches were a bit over-large I thought, but the combat could get pretty tough.
billyh

Post by billyh »

Stonekeep is very similar from what I remember.

Arx Fatalis is not exactly the same, but I got a similar feel when playing this.