Want to play older dungeon crawlers.Where to start?

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
CrabStick

Re: Want to play older dungeon crawlers.Where to start?

Post by CrabStick »

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but try 'Bloodwych'.

Wiki Page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodwych

Came out around 1989, and was the 2nd 'Dungeon Master' type game I played, it was blooming awsome! It came with a 2 player 'multiplayer' option using 2 joysticks, and even included a shop NPC (me and my next door neighbour had a lot of fun playing this game to death). The graphics/game engine ain't as good as EoB, Ishar etc, but the gameplay is superb!

Would love an 'up to date' version of this..!!!

CrabStick..
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

Well I read carefully all the thread and I think some classics are missing...

Lets starts from the past. I am just 42 yo so it is not that old :) ;)

For those who can still emulate the Apple IIe, there was the wizardry series. The first 3 of the serie were really good especially KOD.

Then still on Apple II, did anyone ever play Bard's tale? Like EOB serie, the first two were just really fantastic.

Closer to our time, u can look for Mordor and Ascension formerly Demise which can bring a strong addiction too....

So, starting by those very famous oldies should also be fun... as they were at the beginning of many games that came later on!

:)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Numberouane wrote:Well I read carefully all the thread and I think some classics are missing...

Lets starts from the past. I am just 42 yo so it is not that old :) ;)

For those who can still emulate the Apple IIe, there was the wizardry series. The first 3 of the serie were really good especially KOD.

Then still on Apple II, did anyone ever play Bard's tale? Like EOB serie, the first two were just really fantastic.

Closer to our time, u can look for Mordor and Ascension formerly Demise which can bring a strong addiction too....

So, starting by those very famous oldies should also be fun... as they were at the beginning of many games that came later on!

:)
Bard's Tale 1, 2 & 3 come bundled with InXile's [unrelated] 'The Bard's Tale' on GoG.
No clue where to get the EOB series ~unless one already has it.
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

A good place is always amazon.com, ebay or similiar places for something called the Forgotten Realms Archives. These supply awesome quantities of liqiud awesomeness. Archive One should have all three Eye of the Beholder games. The Silver Edition will toss in baldurs gate.
Best of all in one of the you can get Menzoberranzan. Yeah, I sound like an ad for a long gone product. But it gave me much joy.
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Asteroth wrote:A good place is always amazon.com, ebay or similiar places for something called the Forgotten Realms Archives. These supply awesome quantities of liqiud awesomeness. Archive One should have all three Eye of the Beholder games. The Silver Edition will toss in baldurs gate.
Best of all in one of the you can get Menzoberranzan. Yeah, I sound like an ad for a long gone product. But it gave me much joy.
The one with Menzo ships with a demo for Blood & Magic... and deep in the folders one can find the intro cinematic (that didn't ship with the full game; but works with it), and ~the source-code for the game's exe. :shock:
vegetaman

Post by vegetaman »

My first introduction to the series was Eye of the Beholder on SNES. I played the game a lot as a kid and got angry at it since I could never get past about floor 5 (where I would be eaten by spiders, consistently). But finally in college I managed to master the game. So when I saw Legend of Grimrock gameplay, I knew I had to pick it up. And I have high hopes for the in process EOB mod. Never played Dungeon Master, but thinking I may try the Grimrock mod.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

vegetaman wrote:My first introduction to the series was Eye of the Beholder on SNES. I played the game a lot as a kid and got angry at it since I could never get past about floor 5 (where I would be eaten by spiders, consistently). But finally in college I managed to master the game. So when I saw Legend of Grimrock gameplay, I knew I had to pick it up. And I have high hopes for the in process EOB mod. Never played Dungeon Master, but thinking I may try the Grimrock mod.
Westwood Studios made Eye of the Beholder; at least one of the original devs stopped by the Blog here and left comments. EOB2 was fantastic; EOB3 was made without Westwood Studios; it is not as well liked.

Westwood Went on to make their own IP called Lands of Lore, and a lot of EOB fans consider Lands of Lore 1 to be the closest thing to an EOB3 from Westwood. It's a tremendous Dungeoncrawler, and GoG.com has it if you're interested.
vegetaman

Post by vegetaman »

Isaac wrote:
vegetaman wrote:My first introduction to the series was Eye of the Beholder on SNES. I played the game a lot as a kid and got angry at it since I could never get past about floor 5 (where I would be eaten by spiders, consistently). But finally in college I managed to master the game. So when I saw Legend of Grimrock gameplay, I knew I had to pick it up. And I have high hopes for the in process EOB mod. Never played Dungeon Master, but thinking I may try the Grimrock mod.
Westwood Studios made Eye of the Beholder; at least one of the original devs stopped by the Blog here and left comments. EOB2 was fantastic; EOB3 was made without Westwood Studios; it is not as well liked.

Westwood Went on to make their own IP called Lands of Lore, and a lot of EOB fans consider Lands of Lore 1 to be the closest thing to an EOB3 from Westwood. It's a tremendous Dungeoncrawler, and GoG.com has it if you're interested.
Most excellent! Do you have a link or can you point me to the posts by the dev from EOB or tell me which blog posts to check out?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

vegetaman wrote:Most excellent! Do you have a link or can you point me to the posts by the dev from EOB or tell me which blog posts to check out?
Here you go. Image

http://www.grimrock.net/2012/01/06/back ... mment-5016
Komag

Post by Komag »

Ah that's cool, I missed that one as I've only been around since last July or so :)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play