Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Sir Tawmis

Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Post by Sir Tawmis » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:32 pm

I was surprised not to see any Star Wars: The Force Awakens thread here yet!

My friend and I do a podcast, mostly about comic books - but this time we did one that focused strictly on Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

If you're interested -

http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/522

You can also comment, like, and share from Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/comicreliefpod ... 2062302380
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

Dr.Disaster

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Post by Dr.Disaster » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:04 pm

All there is to say is said very early in the podcast:
SpoilerShow
"almost a carbon copy of A New Hope"
SpoilerShow
If i had not grown up with the originals or haven't seen then in a long looooooooooong time EP7 might have satisfied. Unfortunately i rewatched EP1-6 to get back up to speed before seeing EP7 so then paying 10 bucks to be shown a remake of the original actually made me feel really sad and being ripped off. I recall how much flag Lucas took over EP1 but after seeing EP7 i wished he would have made it himself and not sold out his francise to Disney/J.J.Abrams.

Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:44 pm

Haven't seen SW:TFA, and don't know if I will.
TBH, I'm more excited about https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wa ... the-series

Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:18 pm

Zo Kath Ra wrote:Haven't seen SW:TFA, and don't know if I will.
TBH, I'm more excited about https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wa ... the-series
you mean http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5161112 ?
oh i'm so sold :D

Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:26 pm

Dr.Disaster wrote:All there is to say is said very early in the podcast:
SpoilerShow
"almost a carbon copy of A New Hope"
SpoilerShow
If i had not grown up with the originals or haven't seen then in a long looooooooooong time EP7 might have satisfied. Unfortunately i rewatched EP1-6 to get back up to speed before seeing EP7 so then paying 10 bucks to be shown a remake of the original actually made me feel really sad and being ripped off. I recall how much flag Lucas took over EP1 but after seeing EP7 i wished he would have made it himself and not sold out his francise to Disney/J.J.Abrams.
I agree with a lot of aspects of what you mention in the first spoiler. As for the second one, I wholeheartedly disagree. :)
SpoilerShow
There are a lot - a lot - of elements that are like Episode IV:
- Desert planet to start
- Droid gets the "map" to something
- The Starkiller is essentially an amped up Deathstar
- Snoke was like the Emperor to some people

Among a few others if you look deeper (Han's death was in essence Obi Wan's death, where the "father" figure is killed while the student looks on)...

But I thought, the introduction of Rey - who is nothing like anyone from ANH, was great. You had a strong, powerful, female, who was great at taking care of herself. You can't say that of Luke.
You had Finn, who was this Stormtrooper that turned against everything he knew; and was an amazing, insightful, and very fun character.
You had Kylo Ren, who was an emotionally spoiled child (which makes sense if you consider he was born into royalty; his temper tantrums make complete sense!)
The lightsabre fights brought back the feeling of the classic battles; not people jumping around like leapfrog!
There was a lot of heart in this movie as well;
- The emotion that Finn portrayed, especially when Rey is taken by Kylo.
- The emotion between Han and Leia when they see each other
- The emotion between Han and Kylo on the bridge
Also, finally Stormtroopers actually become a threat; they're able to hit and shoot things
- And there's the Stormtrooper (though short lived), who yells, "Traitor!" at Finn
And the subtle humor is off the wall good.

To me this movie was an enormous fan service; and an apology for Episodes I, II and III.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:20 pm

Sir Tawmis wrote:
SpoilerShow
There are a lot - a lot - of elements that are like Episode IV:
- Desert planet to start
- Droid gets the "map" to something
- The Starkiller is essentially an amped up Deathstar
- Snoke was like the Emperor to some people

Among a few others if you look deeper (Han's death was in essence Obi Wan's death, where the "father" figure is killed while the student looks on)...

But I thought, the introduction of Rey - who is nothing like anyone from ANH, was great. You had a strong, powerful, female, who was great at taking care of herself. You can't say that of Luke.
You had Finn, who was this Stormtrooper that turned against everything he knew; and was an amazing, insightful, and very fun character.
You had Kylo Ren, who was an emotionally spoiled child (which makes sense if you consider he was born into royalty; his temper tantrums make complete sense!)
The lightsabre fights brought back the feeling of the classic battles; not people jumping around like leapfrog!
There was a lot of heart in this movie as well;
- The emotion that Finn portrayed, especially when Rey is taken by Kylo.
- The emotion between Han and Leia when they see each other
- The emotion between Han and Kylo on the bridge
Also, finally Stormtroopers actually become a threat; they're able to hit and shoot things
- And there's the Stormtrooper (though short lived), who yells, "Traitor!" at Finn
And the subtle humor is off the wall good.

To me this movie was an enormous fan service; and an apology for Episodes I, II and III.
SpoilerShow
Aye the movie was a massive fan service and that's the main problem with it. A few winks here and there back to EP4-6 would have been enough since the original cast is already there but they way overdid it. The acting in itself was actually well done. Yet the characters are limited by the story they play. I wanted to see a new story, not a paintjob of the original with some new sprinkles on top. Simply shuffling a few details around does not do one of the largest francises justice.

The new characters showed promise first but most of them did not last until the end. Here's my look at them in order of appearance:

- Poe starts out as the new Leia, being caught, interrogated, rescued, presumed dead and after all of a sudden still alive. He turns out to be a hell of a pilot, kinda similar to Anakin but without the Force. The most interesting of the new characters for me.

- BB-8 is an R2-D2 replacement, mainly comic relief and a bit of deus ex machina. Having both droids around at once would have turned the movie into a comedy so having R2-D2 hybernating was the best way to go. Most amazing part is that they actually build BB-8 und not made it CGI only.

- Finn starts out as a character not seen before which was pretty promising. Sadly during the movie he ends up being displayed a coward and too much of a comic relief beside BB-8 but without Jar Jar's luck/success rate. Everything he does goes wrong, he can't win a single fight or take care of himself. Reminds a lot of the classic damsel in distress.

- Kylo/Ben starts out as the new Vader and shows right from the start powers not even Vader or any other Force user had ever displayed. Halts a blaster bolt in mid air, stuns people by a wink and reads their minds too! Revealing him as a split persona was the first dent into this character, showing him without his mask early the second. Further along he first totaly dominates Rey then rapidly looses ground against her and finally is beaten by this Force newbie. There is no training whatsoever to get him back on track; IMO this character is already dead in the water; not worth talking about any further. The only reason to keep Kylo as a character - and not kill him outright at the end of EP7 - is to get him converted back into Ben in later movies, similar to Luke who converted Vader back to Anakin in EP6.

- Rey starts out as the new Luke and her soon displayed supernatural talent with the Force makes her new Han too. Can do everything pretty much on first try, might get stopped here and there for a bit but miraculously comes out on top without breaking a sweat. Hard to dislike such a good character but being already so powerful makes her kinda boring. Once Luke trained Rey there is nothing in the galaxy to stand against this Force Incarnate.

- Snoke is the new Emperor and that's all we can say about him right now.

- Maz is the new Yoda, one more deus ex machina.

- Luke's old lightsaber became a wand from the Harry Potter universe .. wtf?!?

At the end we have the situation that an untrained Rey (new Luke) has beaten Luke/Snoke-trained Kylo (new Vader). We have to assume that Luke is still more powerful than Rey, otherwise training her would be pointless. Now imagine for a second Vader would have been beaten by Luke at the end of EP4. Would there have been any possible circumstance to believe in a comeback of the already beaten villain? Nope, not in this galaxy far far away, sorry. So whatever Kylo might train for, Rey will do it too and thus things stay the same: Kylo is destined to lose again.

Now Finn .. i really can't see a vital part for him along the way. He is outshined by Poe, Rey and even BB-8. Perhaps his big finale will be against that chromium Stormtroopess, Phasma(?).

Finally lightsabers seem a lot less deadly nowadays. The lightsaber swing to Finn's back at the end would have killed anybody else so why is he actually still alive? After Kylo got his skull split(!) by Rey he shuould have been dead too but it seems Disney wants to give us some huge reunion scene later on thus they keep him alive. Until then Kylos does at least look more on par with Snoke.

Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:22 pm

I enjoyed the new movie. It has its problems and is not exactly original, but I thought it was better than the prequels.

Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:18 am

Ixnatifual wrote:I enjoyed the new movie. It has its problems and is not exactly original, but I thought it was better than the prequels.
I believe that's what they were going for; something "safe" to restore "faith" in Star Wars fans; because the general population seems to have disliked what was done with the prequels.