The Making of Dungeon Master Part 1

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
petri

The Making of Dungeon Master Part 1

Post by petri »

The making of, to me, the most important game ever made (along with CSB):
http://www.filfre.net/2015/12/dungeon-m ... making-of/
Dr.Disaster

Re: The Making of Dungeon Master Part 1

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Indeed. Anything going 1st person 3D realtime from Wolf3D and DOOM onward would not exist without DM or be at least very very different.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

That's a great article, loads of info in there. Years ago I had plans to create a "making of DM" website, and I interviewed many of the DM team, but life got in the way and I never got around to it.

If there's still anyone who'd be interested in a new site looking at DM history, I might be able to do something on it next year. Anyone interested....?
Komag

Post by Komag »

Interesting read. One of the funniest lines to me:
the entire game, code and graphics included, consumed less than 400 K on disk. Helping the cause greatly was the fact that the game, being virtually story-less until you arrive at the final showdown, needed contain very little text, a greedy eater of disk space.
So in those days, it was the TEXT, not the graphics, that ate up disk space! HA! :lol:
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
petri

Post by petri »

I think the article is misleading in that regard. Of course it depends on the amount of text, but for example, a fullscreen image at 320x200 resolution with 16 colors (the screen mode used by DM) takes 32000 bytes uncompressed. You could fit quite a bit of text in that space. Of course memory was very limited on the ST, so every byte counts.