GOLD!!

March 23, 2012|

Normally a sane corporate developer wouldn’t fix non-critical issues in a game just a couple of weeks from launch. But “sane” and “corporate” doesn’t really describe us that well so in our madness we decided to do one more build this week. The build improves the behavior of certain spells, fixes a non-fatal level scripting bug and we couldn’t resist balancing stats of two monsters while we were at it. Olli also fixed a minor animation issue with door pullchains that manifested only on 4:3 displays. None of the issues were critical and we could have waited for a post-launch patch but we really can’t keep our fingers off this thing, it seems!

Observant readers probably understand the dire consequences of these actions: Yes, I owe Antti a beer. Any recommendations btw.? I’m looking for something that I can buy here in Finland for an indie-affordable price. (Those who missed last week’s post are probably totally clueless what I’m talking about ;-) )

That said, we are really happy to announce that we’re now officially in gold, that’s GOOOOOOOOOOLD BABY! *dancing around the office like a fool*

It’s been a long and challenging journey but we have finally reached this important milestone. But we don’t think it’s the end of the road, more like a fork in the road with ways branching into all sorts of interesting directions: iOS, Mac, map editor, sequel, new IP, living in a dumpster totally broke… ;-)

Now that the game is done, we can fully concentrate on launch preparations like the trailer, press releases, sending out review copies for the press, interviews and so on.

Everybody at the office is totally jazzed up and we really can’t keep in our pants much longer. You are probably as anxious to hear about the details and we can finally reveal them all next week!

Stay tuned!

168 Responses to “GOLD!!”

1. ektor says:

champagne !

2. gumionday says:

Such good news, congratulations to you guys for getting to this milestone. I can’t wait to play this game.
    Just about everything else in the world might suck but at least we are getting Grimrock!!!

3. davix39 says:

i can’t wait for this game.. T_T

4. Geo says:

So happy! Really looking forward to this game!

5. Alaric says:

Congratulations!!!

6. silverhand says:

very excited to hear this – congratulations! a shame I will be traveling next friday when the next update will be coming out :( *cry*

7. John says:

Wow guys, finishing the game on my birthday was really a lot of trouble to go through, but I certainly appreciate it ;) This is really great news and I can’t wait to pre-order. My offer of adding to a Paypal AlmostHuman beer fund still stands if you decided to post an address.

8. xarokin says:

well done team log congratulations for your work we need a good game and this game is legend of Grimrock !!!

9. Panagiotis says:

-Mom why these forums are very quiet?
    -They are playing Legends of Grimrock.

10. Clocknova says:

Exciting news! And I’m glad to hear that a Mac version is on the agenda. What I want to know is this: if I buy the Windows version at launch, will I have to pay again for the Mac version? If so, then I’ll hold out. But if I can play Grimrock for a little while in Wineskin then grab the native version for free, I’m all over it.

11. Peter says:

Awesome timing! Purfecto-mundo and well done ol chaps!. Time to get that retro-vibe flowing again…

12. Cobus says:

Very excited for this man, can’t wait

13. Johan says:

Beer? Innis & Gun ftw. At least it’s available here on the Routsi side.

14. webduck says:

brilliant ……………….GOLD …………….. que the music

15. lthornblad says:

Long journey? Ha ha! As a fellow developer, I’d say you put this baby out in record time! Looking forward to playing it, though. Nice work!

On a side note, I’m totally jealous since I’ve been wanting to work on something like this since the original Dungeon Master. ;)

• Matt Hill says:

I understand that LoG is the culmination of more than 10 years of “hobby” experiments by Petri and the gang. So it’s fair to say all that experience went into LoG too.

16. Draggor says:

Your journey is coming to an end.
    Still more challenges await you if you dare …

17. Ogrimas says:

Gratz on your milestone, I’ve been watching progress on ths game and can’t wait to get play it, I’ve been waiting this game almost as much that I waited Mass Effect 3 (now played it through twice and still going =) ).

18. Macca says:

Firstly – that’s superb news I can’t wait to play the game.

Secondly – I’d personally love to see a level/item/monster editor and a modernised Dungeon Master/Bloodwych/Chaos Strikes Back could be made!

Congrats once more!

19. beowuuf says:

Woohoo! Congratulations!

20. Hmm says:

Congratulations, looking forward to the release!

21. Skip says:

Digital delivery means you could release it right this second, and take my money right away.

Just something to think about.

22. bak says:

congratulation. Iam very hapyy ….. but… iam want to play NOW :-) vhere iam buy and dowload?

23. Moorkh says:

Congrats. I can’t believe how quickly this has actually happened – seems I’ve been waiting years for other games, but this just kept on getting there. So glad!

24. n0mad says:

c0ngrats We await y0ur stand behind the p0dium with news crews h0lding micr0ph0nes and U guys with big grins ann0uncing the release int0 the wild 0f LoD……..we are s0 cl0se but we all still can’t wait…..

Well d0ne again 0n releasing what will surely be sum a much l0ved dunge0n crawling game that us die hard dwellers will enj0y f0r many years 2 c0me…….

0hhhh and my suggesti0n 0f the choice 0f imp0rted beer w0uld be

BOAGS (a great Aussie beer)

n0mad
    ==========
    TeamIPX.net
    ==========

25. Scott says:

Congratulations! I’ve been following your blog for around two months now and I’m very excited for the release. TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!

P.S. My beer recommendation is Stella Artois. Not sure if you can get it in Finland, but it’s Belgian, I believe, so …maybe? lol.

26. DataJack says:

I could probably send Olli a sweet “blueberry” ale from a Moncton local brewery called “The Pump House”. It is pretty damn good if you ask me. I usually get one when I pass by, it is still 11 hours of drive from Montreal. I’ll let you know. Sorry if you get it post-launch. Meanwhile a Hoegaarden does the job done well enough Olli!

Great work guys… I’ve never been following any blog whatsoever before yours…

27. SpaceFlavorMeow says:

Well then, congrats, and that was quite the delightful bit of news compared to the usual “here’s new stuff to make you drool” posts, lol(not that those were ever bad >_< ). Ahem, now onto business. You tell me how to buy, I inform the masses best I can, profit, yes yes? :D

28. Havokstriker says:

Cheers on going gold! I’m super psyched and can’t wait to purchase this game. I’m ready to get my dungeon crawl on.

29. Luca says:

Hooray!

30. Kubouch says:

iOS, Mac… fine but what about Linux? Is it going to run at least on Wine?

31. Longbow says:

This is just one reason I prefer indie-developers.

32. Halmir says:

OH
    MY
    GOLD!!!!
    Goooooooooooooooooooooood work, guys!!!
    I’m dreaming of this game every night! *.*

33. AndyD says:

Congratulations to you!

Followed your bloq for a very long time ;-)
    Thanks for brining back the best gaming time in life (using Amiga and played Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and especially Xenomorph).

Thanks guys for your great work and porting a great gameplay into the yeart 2012!

Greetings from Germany
    Andy

34. Keno the Rat says:

I’ve only been following this site for two months or so and for that I am grateful…because I don’t think I could’ve handled the wait for longer than that. Not only will I buy your game, I am going to make sure I get at least one friend to buy as well and failing that…I will buy another copy as a gift for someone. I hope all your fans make an effort to do the same. Congratulations and good luck with your launch.

– Keno the Rat

35. marmotte says:

Champagne !

Congratulations ! You have made an excellent work !

Bravo ! Hurra !

I said all my friends to buy this game ! I hope you continue to realize your dreams and we meet the success !

Marmotte french gamer we like LOG !

36. Tiropitas says:

I’d love crawling into Grimrock.

Crazy games from crazy (indie) developers for crazy gamers.

37. Birdmon says:

Count me in!

38. David says:

If you need some beer from Germany, let me know. Might be able to send you some (customs allowing).

39. Orkan says:

Hi!

I’m waiting for Your Game with great hope and impatience. The closer to the issue then days are longer. I think, we all waiting…

So, please give us some screenshots or gameplay video, before the issue. Is it possible? Pleaseeeee!
    And, of course, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for Your Great “Legend Of Grimrock”!

Almost Human Rulez!

Greetings!

P.S.
    Sorry for my english…

40. Cordalinge says:

Just great !! Than you…can’t wait to have the same feeling i had when lauching dungeon master on my 520 Atari St for the first time !

Please, have us play as quick as possible ! We will be your first journalist on this successful game !

Great works guys !

41. Francesco Sorrentino says:

Congratulations :D

42. Oodahn says:

YES! Ok, hurry up and take my money!! Innaplayinnaplayinnaplayinnaplay

43. NeveHanter says:

Game look awesome, and optimisation is very good!
    And one question: Won’t You plan releasing it to Android too?

44. Arasine says:

Great !

45. DM says:

Congratulations you guys! Can’t wait to play this game!

You mentioned map editor. Do you plan to give other modding support for things such as items, races/classes, monsters etc. etc. ?

• petri says:

To be decided. We probably start with something simple at first (e.g. map editor with predefined objects) and then add new features gradually.

46. Matti says:

Onneksi olkoon äijät

Kun teette seuraavan pelin niin kertokaa selvästi miten rahallinen tukeminen onnistuu+ mitä saa jos maksaa tämän tai tämän verran…

Ja Suomi tekstit Trinen tyyliin.

47. motoko says:

Es increíble lo que estáis haciendo, desde la calidad del trabajo, la simpatía que desbordáis cuando contestáis a la gente. Pero desde luego, después de la gran dosis de esfuerzo que a todas luces parece que estáis invirtiendo, os merecéis un gran éxito.

¡Mucho ánimo para la recta final!

It’s amazing what you are doing, the quality of work, the sympathy… But of course, after the great work and effort that you are investing in the project, you deserve a great success.

¡Keep it up!

48. asdf says:

Congratulations guys, I wish you all the best!

Twisted Thistle for the beer, really good IPA from Belhaven’s brewery, scotland. I believe Gallows has it, and I believe you’ll find dozens of other interesting ones there also.

49. squareking says:

Obviously, the only beer to get is Gulden Draak. Congrats!

50. Nathanael says:

Well done and thanks for all the hard work, I can’t wait. You guys rock!