Release Candidate 1!

March 9, 2012|

Gather around everyone and listen to another wonderful tale of “things that have happened during the past week or so”.

Well, the game is almost done. And amazingly, it’s still pretty entertaining even for me to wander in the hallways and fight some monsters and solve puzzles even though by this point I should already be seriously overdosed by the game. And some of our friends who have been testing the game have already played the game through twice or more! Needless to say, all of this seems very promising to us and we hope the game will find its audience when it is released in April. :D

Oh, and what was it specifically that I meant by the game being “almost done”? Well, we’re no longer in beta, baby! On wednesday, we built the RC1, or release candidate 1, version of the game. This means that we “freeze” the development of the game (by stopping adding new features, basically) and start concentrating entirely on getting the game as stable as possible for the release. If something pops up that absolutely needs to be added to the game, it’s quite possible that we’ll have to wait until we do an update. Among the last things we improved on the game were: additional polishing of some of the GUI elements, save/load game dialog overhaul, some improved monster animations and miscellaneous level tweaks. I know the list of changes doesn’t look that impressive or sexy at this point but we needed to move carefully so we wouldn’t introduce any new bugs.

Since we start to slow down little by little with the actual development of the game itself, we start to work more on all the other things that just need to be done for the release. A lot of it is related to marketing and I’m sure that no one is surprised to hear that me and Juho have been spending some quality time with Fraps video capture software lately. ;)

Also, yesterday we migrated our web servers to a new platform (thanks for helping us out, Jani!) and now we are much better equipped for high amounts of traffic. Oh yeah, we mentioned this already last week, but we have a forum now. It’s a much better place for proper discussions than the comments section of the blog which can be pretty difficult to follow so if you’ve got questions of the game or just want to talk about old school RPGs or H.P. Lovecraft for example, register! :) News will still of course be posted here on the blog and we’ll do our best to follow the comments and posts on both places.

So that’s it for this week’s dose of information! Have a nice weekend everyone.

77 Responses to “Release Candidate 1!”

1. David says:

Preorders?

2. Damjan says:

Congratulations! So now you can start porting the game to OS X and iOS, right? :)

3. subaru swift says:

:) YAAAyyyyyy

Great news & thank you for the update, as this is great news indeed & i wish you all the best testing it before we the waiting pubic get it….. .

however i will be keeping my fingers & toes crossed as this game is going to take up a lot of my time playing it ! kenny

4. TheISZ says:

I registered at the forum but did not receive the email validation.

5. Emmanuel says:

Every week I always wait for Fridays, Then on Fridays I wait for the Posts that will be made on this website :D
    This sentence “Well, the game is almost done. And amazingly, it’s still pretty entertaining even for me to wander in the hallways and fight some monsters and solve puzzles even though by this point I should already be seriously overdosed by the game.” Made my anticipated replay value for this game go up significantly.

Best phrase I’ve found: “Well, we’re no longer in beta, baby!” Great job achieving this milestone guys! I hope that when this game finally releases on April, I can find this So-called “Gromorg” >_>

Congratulations!

7. {Jester} says:

Congratulations!

8. petri says:

Thanks guys! I’m celebrating the RC by being sick at home. I seem to have gotten this horrible curse that’s gradually turning my brain into pile of mucus…. but even that couldn’t keep me from working on RC2! (stress testing the build revealed a few problems which we are still addressing, more about those later).

9. HarpoonIPA says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait for April
    Are we there yet??????

10. Noodles says:

I haven’t exactly been keeping up with this game, even though its the kind of game I’ve been wanting to play without having to dust off wizardry 8 and pop the cd into my computer XD.

Anyway I was wonder how this game is going to be sold. Will there be physical copies Box/DVD of this game or will it be strictly digital? If digital will you be selling it from this site, or are there plans to put it on Steam.

Sorry I’m too lazy to find out if these questions have already been asked and/or answered.

• petri says:

The game will be digitally distributed and we’ll be announcing the distribution methods in a few weeks. You might also want to check out the blog post from last week :-)

• Hmm says:

“Methods”? Does that mean it won’t be Steam exclusive after all?
        I’m totally buying it anyway, but when given a choice between GOG/Gamersgate and Steam, I always choose the former.

11. tcrown says:

Is there any ETA on the Mac/iOS release, May, June?

12. tcrown says:

Legend of Grimrock on the new iPad retina display : > D

13. BlackSoul says:

grats ;-)

and now i wanna preorder!

14. Gadzooks says:

I keep throwing money at the screen but nothing’s happening…

15. Andreas says:

I can’t wait to play it! Im so happy you guys got such great taste in games and talent to make this!

16. Beerdy says:

Hope you are not working whole week again mates! Last time Juho was caught behind his desk during Sat and Sun! :)

17. Ivos says:

Well, I hope you ARE working whole week ;)

18. jfunk says:

A Steam release would be truly sweet.

19. Rapenzie says:

I was looking at the Beta Trailer and figured, why not add a way for us to upload our pictures? For example, I could upload my picture and the picture of 3 more friends. It would be really cool! Think about it for the update.

PS: Thanks for letting the comments open. I hate when I have to create an account or log in with Facebook to post a comment.

• MacHaggis says:

Actually, that would be pretty nice. Allow different frames for different facial poses (different expression when you get hurt, etc).
      Doesn’t even need to have a dedicated interface that generates the perfect format, just give the option to import them somewhere and put the format requirements in the documentation.

20. Jeff says:

Frickin’ awesome!

21. Mark says:

Nearly there….Diablo 3 can go screw itself! I’m waiting for this baby! :-D

22. Panagiotis says:

15.Gadzooks says:
    March 9, 2012 at 22:41 .I keep throwing money at the screen but nothing’s happening

Put the money in your DVD , might something better will happen :P

23. Ivos says:

Hi Almost Human team, please hear my cry and upload some screenshots or video.. something to look at before the game gets out.

24. WizardStan says:

Chairman Fry has a good point.

• WizardStan says:

Oh piffle, can’t post links, eh? No matter, it’s just the same “SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY” meme that’s been making the rounds.

25. Chris says:

Cool.. all I need to do now is hook up a laptop to a projector screen and its 8×6 meters of legendary goodness. At that size, I should be able to get the skeletal warriors to be life size.

26. marmotte says:

Good news !!! Now i hibernate until april :)

27. Zhanos says:

Encouragement and strength for these last days.

28. Brother Karras says:

Congratulations, guys (on RC1 and quick&prompt server move), Petri get well soon! :)

29. Loki says:

Absolutely fantastic news.

30. Kolja says:

I hope the OSX version appears alongside with the windows version…
    Can’t wait to play the game. Among the boring other new RPGs a little bit of old school RPG is very welcome! Thumbs up!

31. CobraVerde says:

Are you allowing commented gameplay-videos (i.e. Let’s Plays) of Grimrock to be uploaded onto Youtube?
    I’m planning on an EoB-LP too, but would delay it further just for this game.

• antti says:

Yes, let’s play videos are fine by us. :)

• Sol_HSA says:

I wonder when game companies start taking issues with let’s plays though – in heavily story based games like Alan Wake, the let’s play pretty much makes buying the game pointless..

• John says:

That’s like saying youtube videos of Tokyo/The Grand Canyon/Amazon Rainforest/whatever make visiting them pointless.

32. Magnus says:

Do you know of TotalHalibut? For those who don’t, he has a series called “WTF is” on his youtube channel that is a first impressions series (not reviews) of games, mostly indie. He currently has around 640.000 subscribers so that would definitely help spread awareness of your game. I can say that I have bought a lot of games because of that series, even ones I would never even have looked at if it had not been for his videos.

And April is my birthday month, woo!

33. fredo says:

votre jeu ne sortira jamais en francais ou peut etre
    par la suite ???
    vous allez perdre un marché prometeur !!!
    will your play never leave in French or can be thereafter??? you will lose a market prometor!!!

34. MacHaggis says:

Just learned about grimrock. I’m 29 years old: Just a tad bit too young to have played the real dungeon crawler classics, but 1 game I played from beginning to end that might qualify is “Lands of Lore” and the gameplay movies from Grimrock take me straight back to that time. Can’t wait to try it out guys, good job!

• Anthony says:

Your not too young! I played Dungeon Master start to finish when I was 6/7 – you would have been the same age :)

• MacHaggis says:

wel, at 6/7 I had no clue what I was doing in games (especially since English is not my native language) so all I had was my nintendo :p

35. Baron says:

Hi,

will there be a demo, with i.e. a single playable level ??

kind regards and keep up the great work,
    Baron

36. Alus says:

Hi everyone!
    Cannot wait for the release!
    I have a suggestion, don’t know if it was mentioned before… Along with the full release, can you provide a demo version?
    It will be useful for people like me who have older graphic cards (nVidia GeForce GO 7300) to test the compatibility, and to try the game before buying.
    Thanks

• petri says:

We haven’t had time to think about the demo during the intense crunch for the launch. It’s possible but no promises yet.

37. DeKKeR says:

I just can’t wait to pay for this game.. maybe I should buy more then one copy because you sure deserve it. I see how you react to feedback to make this game a blast without scraching the oldschool clothing this game wears. Well, I surely will go on a review rampage when I’ll play it making sure that everyone agrees that this is an epic title.

38. Thomas says:

Very nice !

39. Sophie says:

you continue to work on games ???
    to improve it or enlarge it or fix bugs ???????

• petri says:

We’re hectically trying to freeze development and just concentrate on testing and making preparations for the launch (like a trailer for instance).

40. Vovin says:

Any news about the iOS release? And will the iPhone be supported?

41. Beerdy says:

Dear Almost Human mates – no doubt that LoG will be big sell success and your development costs will be repaid hundred times more. Does it change your indipendent status somehow? Or you plan to become a part of some bigger game dev studio???
    Good luck in April! ;)

• petri says:

Heheh, the financial success of the project is not that clear yet! Let’s see what the sales numbers are first :) But I would guess that a nice payoff would make us even more independent if possible so that we wouldn’t need to do subcontracting work to fund our own game projects.

42. Botiquita says:

I have only 2 friends on Steam, but be absolutely sure that I will buy my copy and make 2 gifts of LoG for my comrades !!

Please take my money know (If you wish I can pay in pieces of gold).

43. myriac says:

i have an account on gamersgate, so will i be able to buy it on gamersgate ?

44. Baines says:

I’m so ready for this to come out.

45. yaamsnono says:

Bonjour à tous,
    je vous invite à vous inscrire sur mon forum, le 1er forum français consacré à LOG ( Legend of Grimrock)

46. Pretty part of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I get in fact loved account your weblog posts. Anyway I¡¯ll be subscribing on your augment and even I fulfillment you get entry to consistently fast.

47. Hey our purposes simply really like your stunning blog thank you and please follow it