Weekly news, post alpha editionNovember 11, 2011|
Phew, another busy week behind us! Oh, and a big thank you for all the support and well wishes you have sent to us regarding reaching the alpha! It really means a lot to us in these times of intense crunch! 🙂
The alpha playthrough resulted in a hefty todo-list (or perhaps more accurately, a todo-pile) and we decided to do the biggest changes first so that they would have plenty of time to settle so that they can be iterated as much as possible and so that we have more opportunities to encounter any possible bugs with them before reaching beta. Here’s a selection of the things we’ve been working on:
- Player movement has been adjusted: the screen now bobs when you move. Also if you carry too much stuff, the movement slows down.
- We added potions and a system for mixing your own drinks from herbs found in the dungeon.
- We added sacks and crates for all you pack rats out there!
- There’s one entirely new monster in the game and a ranged weapon variant of one of our older monsters (I suppose the word “old” works here on more than one level! (And the word “level” works here on more than one level!)).
- A new spell has been implemented.
- Plenty of small balancing touches: monster stats, item attributes and level design were improved in many places.
- The end cinematic graphics are in progress. Juho will probably finish them during next week.
- More items! In the beginning I never thought that it would be a problem during this project but the atlas texture that contains the graphics for the item icons is starting to be pretty full! I think we’ll add support for multiple textures here once we hit the limit, it’s something that we would have had to do sometime in the future anyway. The texture has space for 157 item icons and there’s only 13 slots left!
- We’ve been playing the game here for the whole day today! Miscellaneous bugs and balancing issues were ruthlessly eradicated in the process.
- Juho did an interview with Games On Net. Read it up, it’s interesting stuff!