More weekly news!October 28, 2011|
Another week nearing completion and, as usual, we’ve been working our assess off! The focus of the work is already shifting towards improving what we already have made instead of concentrating on adding new stuff in the game so it’s quite possible that filling out a nice long list of new things in the game for these weekly updates gets a little more tricky from this point on since our attention is shifting towards an innumerable count of smaller tasks rather than clearly defined big features. But anyways, let’s recap what we’ve been up to this week:
- We’ve reworked the skill system and there should be tons of added flavor in this new version. Leveling up and creating the characters is now much more interesting!
- A lot of game balance improvements. Monster stats and where they can be found in the game have been improved and we’ve also fiddled around with some of the items as well as looked at how quickly the characters develop.
- A new monster, mostly geared towards the end game sections, is in the works.
- The steady trickle of new items continues. New ranged weapons like a sling and a crossbow have been added and a new set of armor and a shield have also been done and some other more minor things. We have well over 100 items in the game now.
- We have four new spells. Although it’s basically one new kind of spell that has four variants of it.
- There’s some new variations in enemy animations to reduce some of the repetition.
- We have a pretty much final version of the theme song too! Maybe we’ll have to release a new video some day so that we would have a good excuse to showcase the music too… 🙂
And probably most importantly, we could say that we’re at alpha at this point. But we won’t say it quite yet because we are still pending one little thing: a complete playthrough of the whole game. We’ve played the whole game in smaller bits and pieces but we basically need to do a complete playthrough now to confirm that everything works as a whole. It’s also a convenient way to add more stuff to our to-do lists for the beta! The only challenge is that there’s just so much to play that it’s not a small ordeal even for a developer who’s completely familiar with all the dungeons, puzzles and traps! So I think we’ll still have to wait until Monday to officially call it alpha. 🙂