Weekly news from Grimrock dungeons

October 7, 2011|

We have been working on the end game this week and the whole thing has grown a lot bigger and cooler than we initially thought. First we had the idea that there should be a chamber with a boss fight at the end but we quickly scrapped this as it didn’t feel epic enough. We want to make the ending really memorable to you as a player and we want it to explain some aspects of the mountain and tell you some of the background lore we have. So, instead of just a big fight, the game will climax in an intense multi-level combat and puzzle solving episode with a surprise at the end. We don’t want to spoil the experience by giving too much details, but just want to say that it’s going to be awesome!

Some other highlights from this week:

+ Antti has been adding new items to the game and we have almost one hundred unique items now. I think we are still going to add some more but I think we should have almost everything we need now.

+ We have added some more dungeon levels this week but they’re not in alpha stage yet. We have placeholders for two more levels and then all the levels should be in place.

+ Projectile routines have been rewritten. The old code was inaccurate, inflexible and was in dire need of some love.

+ We had our very first high profile vip visitor at the office on Thursday. The meeting went well, except our second-hand coffee machine (yeah, we are that cheap :) ) didn’t co-operate with us, so the first batch of coffee pretty much vaporized into thin air somehow – we are a bit lost what exactly happened (believe or not, none of us are coffee drinkers). Thankfully the second batch worked out.

Oh, oh, and we have a new screenshot to share with you showing a new dungeon environment we haven’t revealed before!

133 Responses to “Weekly news from Grimrock dungeons”

1. Ugm says:

I just registered to say that this game is gonna be great! This is so old-school!
    Thanks for the regular updates, screenshots and production tidbits. They really hype me up!

2. Disc says:

Wow, just found about Legend of Grimrock.
    I’m looking really forward to this.
    I think you’re doing great work and this game has the potential to be the next “Lands of Lore 1″ ;)
    Please hurry, I want this game!

3. Disc says:

Tiny question: Will the viewing height differ with the height of the “party-leader”?

I dont know why but I always liked that feature :)

4. Thierry says:

Very excited about that! It reminds me Wizardry on Apple II
    Good luck to you guys

— A future customer

5. franko says:

Must buy for me !!! i love old school rpg :) release this baby please….

6. Kimmo says:

So, where do I sign up to be an alpha/beta tester?

7. DarkGiver says:

OMG ! Amazing ! A new dungeon master :)

I can’t wait for the release !

8. FFreak3 says:

Just came by to say: awesome!

I’ve always been a FP dungeon explorer, enough so that most of my projects in minecraft are, guess what? Labyrinths :)

I’ll definitely be buying the game later, if it’s compatible with linux.

9. RAF says:

I have one small suggestion I do not know if you may already integrers

but the idea of ​​having the games of two-handed weapons such as a sword that would take the player’s 2 hands like an ax to a lot of damage that would

10. Lord chaos says:

Another question how will you integrate wall set to complete in the launch version you currently have in communicating 2, 3 I think it would be a good number bring a lot of diversity in dungeon if you have the time to intégrers course

11. tayzyboy says:

Looks ace so far…. need any alpha/beta testing?? :P

Please please, just keep it oldschool – and remember Eye of the beholder 1 + 2 were great. 3 was terrible – dispite being essentially the same. The difference is the love and attention!!!. Keep it up guys!

12. Steve says:

hello can have how many lots will be integrated into the game a release on video of gameplay may have seen the fire the ice and the poison will be there for another spell in the game as lightning or other? ?
    I think the more the better it brings out a great diversity in attack magic

there will be another question like scrolls or have dm can read notes on it??

13. Anfauglir says:

We need a real forum to talk about the subjects that come to our minds ;)

14. Dragonbait says:

I’m really stoked about this game, Dungeon Master is one of my fondest memory from the Amiga days and was the reason for me buying the huge (512k) memory expansion for it!
    Eye of the beholder was one of my all time favourite PC games!

Keep up the good work, can’t wait to play this!

15. Beerdy says:

Both Czech main gaming magazines (Score and Level) were writing about Legend of Grimrock in their last edition. Tens of thousand players now know about you – and I don´t dare to estimate this number worldwide :)
    Keep it going mates!

16. Koudou says:

This game looks great !

17. zlostnypopolnik says:

Many crapgames come out in the last years, this is not a crap. It will be a old scool and it looks great. I will buy it.

18. TheISZ says:

You guys are truly amazing and I thank you for putting in so much time and effort on this. I have been looking for something like this for long days. Thank you very hard gentlemen! :)

19. BoyC says:

Can’t wait for this, with Diablo 3 delayed this looks like the only bet at a good game this year. Hope you guys can get the game on Steam :)

20. …epic… cross fingers!!

21. patrikspacek says:

Will you have any playable “beta” or “demo” of this game for public? When is the release date of full game?

• petri says:

Most likely there will be a demo. The release date is not set but our goal is to release the game at the end of the year.

22. Isaac says:

This look so awesome!

23. Isaac says:

This looks so awesome!

24. War_Ghoul says:

I was eagerly awaiting Diablo 3, Skyrim and Torchlight 2. Now I could care less, I am seriously excited about this game more than I have been for ANY game in the last 10 years. The question is, what am I going to play in the meantime?

25. Anfauglir says:

I really hope you ‘ll give the tools to the community for us to be able to create our own dungeons.I would love to see a custom version of you game sticking exactly to “Dungeon Master”.
    Could you tell us the software list you are using to create “Legend of Grimrock” ?

• petri says:

Yeah, the game definitely deserves mods :)

We are using Visual Studio 2010 and a propietary Lua editor for programming, Softimage for animation, Modo for modeling and Photoshop for textures, plus some other smaller tools for various tasks.

• Isaac says:

After release, do you plan a Grimrock modder’s Wiki?

*For instance… to post the file formats in.
        Something that would make it easier [for someone] to craft a python import/export script for Blender.

(The gateway to a mapper/3d resource editor, and community mods that add weapon & monsters.)

With access to a round-trip through Blender, I made this [from a cube] for Fallout 3:
        It’d be neat to go through a mythology dictionary and select entries for custom creatures.

• loch2 says:

Time to learn lua. I think knowing lua would be awesome all around :D Thanks for the extra incentive

26. Steve says:

Petri I have a question how much you’re money every program you use to make games ???

27. Arthur says:

Where can I get this game when it is done?

28. Mole says:

This is the game that, as yet, has only been in my dreams.
    I want’s it. Where would you like me to send the entirety of my bank account?

Do you think it will be ready in time for Father Christmas to bring for me?

29. War_Ghoul says:

Where’s my weekly update? I visit this site more frequently than my grandpa visits the bathroom. Wheres the new info??? We needs it. I am looking forward to playing this game!!!I Doesn’t Crate Entertainment take pre-order money before release to help augment production budgets? (I mean WAY before release) There’s gotta be something all of us can be doing! Oh yeah, get us a forum. Why don’t we have a forum?

• antti says:

Sorry about missing the weekly update, seems like we’ll get to cover two weeks worth of work this time around. If we still remember what we did last week.. :D

A forum would be nice indeed. It would take some effort to set it up and maintain though and in the middle of a very busy development period it can be quite hard to divide your attention to multiple things and try to multitask with all of it. We’ll look into it.

30. Joseph says:

So would the developers be so kind as to e-mail me when the game is released so I can “borrow” my wifes credit card and purchase this AWSOME looking game. Just in case the developers are to exausted to indulge in such a diminutive a task I added this site to my favorites list and will check it every few hours. Can you hear my foot tap tap tap tap tap………….

31. War_ghoul says:

I am a little concerned at the apparent abandonment of the weekly update and lack of any meaningful news from the developers regarding Legend of Grimrock. Is the game still in development? Have you completely stopped posting any news about the state of the game? Has any noteworthy work been done since before October? If the project has been scrapped is there any hope of you guys collaborating again later for a similar game or perhaps a reset of LOG?

32. How to says:

I¡¯ve also been thinking the identical thing myself lately. Grateful to see another person on the same wavelength! Nice article.